raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
One last gig......
05/31/18 at 09:49:18

Well, I am on my last leg at Boeing.
Said farewell to all my buddies I made at the Renton plant, last night.

It is hard when folks share with you how much you have meant to them, etc....
When management takes you to dinner, and tells you stuff that might have had a different effect, if shared earlier on....

I'm not sure.

As some of you who have shared with me, their own life experiences in entering into this phase of life (retirement) it can bring about good change in ways our "working" mind can't imagine.....

I thank you for sharing.

The biggest factor in hanging it up was my last trip to see the kids/grand kids....

When they ask you outright, "Why do you not want to be more in our lives?" its a question of burning, deep searing, soul searching......

Perhaps in generational, I am not sure......

It might be a deep seated need I have, in PROVING my worth, through my wealth (inheritance) as some sort of twisted legacy, to them, that forfeits the presences, to satisfy my own need.....   Embarrassed

Anyway......

The bike is ready, it gets a couple more weeks of commuting to the "local" facility, to finalize my employment with the company.
Even this "last ride" has a happy/sad significance, like a circle that is almost completed, like a fence, keeping everything within its confines, but also, not allowing anything new, into it.....  Huh

I guess this is a early adios, to the site, as life is changing rapidly, and I just wanted to be certain to thank all of you for sharing this part of my journey.  Grin Kiss Cheesy  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: One last gig......
Reply #1 - 05/31/18 at 09:58:37

Riding isn't a requirement for hanging out.
Wish I knew what was said that might have mattered sooner

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/31/18 at 10:28:30

Best wishes to you Ray. I do not have any grandchildren and I know my kids like hanging around with us when time allows, but my wife and I are not their priority. I am still a few years from retirement and I do look forward to the idea of doing some travelling and a lot of riding. The only thing I can say to you is follow your heart, trust in God, and enjoy your family. May God bless you with a happy retirement.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/31/18 at 11:14:10

And VP of HR ends his speech honoring Ray, and reaches into the podium for Rays watch. The face , custom made, with tiny pictures of sun screen every two hours,
And then
The case of sunscreen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 05/31/18 at 11:46:23

springman wrote on 05/31/18 at 10:28:30:
Best wishes to you Ray. I do not have any grandchildren and I know my kids like hanging around with us when time allows, but my wife and I are not their priority. I am still a few years from retirement and I do look forward to the idea of doing some travelling and a lot of riding. The only thing I can say to you is follow your heart, trust in God, and enjoy your family. May God bless you with a happy retirement.

Thank you, and Bless you.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 05/31/18 at 11:50:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/18 at 11:14:10:
And VP of HR ends his speech honoring Ray, and reaches into the podium for Rays watch. The face , custom made, with tiny pictures of sun screen every two hours,
And then
The case of sunscreen.

I guess I earned that  Grin

I will indeed post a "update" of the new, and improved face, once I launch the new boat and finally kick back, enjoying her size.....

You want me to just zero in on the healed face, or a wider angle, that captures the glory of my speedo too?  Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 05/31/18 at 12:38:24

You can't just leave we need you. We need your messed up views & opinions and those great photographs. Someone is going to find Bot babbling to himself in the cellar cause he won't have you to argue with anymore. I hate drama Ray. It's been fun , congrats.  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/31/18 at 12:43:06

Dude, you gotta do the wide angle with the speedo !

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #8 - 05/31/18 at 12:57:12

I've only been around here for a little while Ray, but have thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated your perspective.

You could always handg out here in 'the Cafe' from time to time, and talk about ... well ... anything!

Good luck with your new era in life  Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 05/31/18 at 14:22:47

Ray  I'm no wise man , but when it comes to spending time with the grandkids ,you might try doing it one on one. My fondest memories occurred when I didn't have to share grandpa/grandma ,but had their full attention ,and they had mine. ( just opinion) It would seem you have a wonderful wife, and you deserve the time to spend with your "best friend " too .( Cherish every day ) Good luck! enjoy!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 05/31/18 at 14:57:44

I have enjoyed reading your posts and the pictures, Ray.

I wish you the best of luck in this new part of life and hope everything works out for you the way you want. Like has already been said, take your time and enjoy what you're doing and who you're with. After retirement, you've got the time to do it.

You can still drop in and rattle somebody's worldly perception (cage)  every once in a while.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 05/31/18 at 21:57:28

So , Ray

Now that you have more time to ride … Your getting rid of your bike ?  Huh

That just seems so wrong in every way !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 06/01/18 at 03:58:55

You know, there is a way to blend your two transport hobbies since you said you were selling the bike.  
Q:  Why sell it ?  
It’s not illegal to own a bike and a boat ya know !
You never know when you may need to take a ride just to sort things out.

Anyway, you could mount a handlebar with controls on the boat in place of the steering wheel !  
Isn’t that a great idea ?  😁🏍😎🚤👍

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/01/18 at 04:16:51

I know this was a graduation speech - but it seems so appropriate to Ray's new life.  This was a 1997 graduation speech given by Mary Schmich of the Chicago Tribune.

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 06/01/18 at 05:13:17

Gee, thank you guys, it’s making my day 😋

Dave, that was beautiful.
I am reading this while sitting on the ferry, the sun rising to a beautiful day up here in the Pacific Northwest, soon to be at work, meeting new folk for just a scant few weeks.....
Hardly enough time for even moss that is so prevalent here, to even grow...
However, it seems like I put on that old favorite t-shirt that my wife hid in the rag hamper....
It feels good, right, comfortable.
Your sharing of this speech frames it perfectly.
And you young’ns....
Heed of it, it is truth, I know, i’ve 65 years of finding it so....

Again, I saddle up soon to finish the last leg, on the first day, of my final last push....
Thank you all for sharing it with me  Kiss

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 14:01:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › One last gig......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.