Send Topic Print
Big Bore Bobber Build (Read 3221 times)
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #195 - 02/19/18 at 04:55:24

The e clip at the top of the needle in the slide...
There was one present on the stock needle on both carbs.
The needle that came with the rebuild kit has 3 undercuts (grooves) for rough setting needle height. The kit was described and sold as being specifically for the savage. Everything fit like it was supposed to... just made it crazy lean. I am starting to get closer to that balance of efficiency and seat of the pants dyno happiness.  I am going to leave it alone for a while and let the better half get used to riding again before I try and get more giddy up out of it.

At this point I'm pretty happy with where it is going. It keeps up with traffic for the most part and the efficiency almost doubling makes it that much more affordable to take the bikes vs the diesel guzzling powerstroke. I filled up both bikes to the brim before we headed home yesterday for 10$ even Steven with 93oct pump gas. Can't beat that with a stick!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #196 - 02/19/18 at 10:06:50

If your bike is newer than 95 the stock carb needle would not have an E clip or grooves. and it would not be tapered. If your using the newer carb body neither one of the needles is correct. A stock bike should run 85-87 mph ,you have a larger piston at higher compression ,and you can't break 70 ? something is wrong.You may be getting better mileage ,but you may have gone from running very rich , to  running very lean (more dangerous)an could damage your motor . I would not be letting this go.I'd be looking for the problem.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #197 - 02/19/18 at 11:49:07

The spare carb I have is from a '98...

If there were no groove or clip... what would keep the needle from riding all we way up in the slide? On both my slide assemblies the needle is held in place by a little plate, held down by 2 little buggers of screws.
There is also a spring that rides under the clip.
Without a clip, what good would spacers or shims do?
In the stock configuration there was the original thick white spacer above the clip. I removed it... and put 2 metal spacer shims beneath it and on top of the spring. This basically compresses the spring which increases the tension on the needle.

Maybe I have my nomenclature confused...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #198 - 02/19/18 at 12:08:53

Your right ,I had to take a look at the carb  drawing. My mistake there is a E-clip ,If you took out the white spacer and placed the two #4 washers in the same exact place the spacer was your OK. If your running a 145 stock main then it's the reason you can't achieve a higher top speed ,you'll have to go to a 150 or larger.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #199 - 02/19/18 at 16:07:21

I did not put the shims in the same place. In the original configuration the white spacer was above the e-clip. I must have misread something somewhere, because I have the 2 little washer shims under the e-clip.
That must be a big part of why it's been running so dang rich?

We did not take the bikes down there today... had to tote a drywall hoist because day 1 of hanging sheet rock on the ceiling reminded us both that a long time has passed since we were 20yrs old lol.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #200 - 02/19/18 at 16:27:06

We have a winner! Yes putting the washers in in the wrong place actually allowed the needle to move up the entire width of the white spacer, rather than the room the 2 washers would take up (about half) this would cause you to run to rich from about 1/4 to WOT.
        I had an old farmhouse 4500 sq.ft.  with 10 ft. ceilings and plaster and lath walls I gutted and sheet rocked  ,the older you get, the heavier it gets.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #201 - 02/20/18 at 16:31:02

Yeah..  5/8" mold and moisture resistant sheets of rock are no joke.
Fortunately the drywall hoist made light work of the 20 sheets that went up on the ceiling today. I'm freaking still beat up though lol.

I have about 14 more sheets to go covering the walls... and then all the fun of tape, float, texture, paint...

I'm just too exhausted to do much else but slap together something to eat and pass the heck out! The weather is supposed to be crappy anyway for the next few days, so I guess I can stand not messing with it for tonight. The walls are much easier on the body... so with any grace I will be energetic enough to pull the carb tomorrow when I get home.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #202 - 02/22/18 at 17:03:47

So I pulled the top side of the carb back apart this morning and repositioned the spacers/washers to where they are supposed to be and wouldn't you know it... The bike started trying to cooperate with me!
It pulled like a freight train up to 35mph in 1st and had a slight hiccup... Smooth through the rest of the gears. After about about a 15 minute ride I guess everything finished warming all the way up and the hiccup cleared.

I'm still thinking (and agree with Batzy) that it will probably like a 150 or 152.5 main jet a little better than the 145 that is in it.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #203 - 02/23/18 at 14:58:02

Efficiency is still improving.
47.10mpg over the 85 mile trip to rockport this morning averaging 65mph.
It still falls on its face around 75mph, but my jet set from Lancer is ordered... so we will see how it acts with a 150, 152.5, or 155 main.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #204 - 02/23/18 at 16:46:43

You'll be lucky to crack 80 mph going downhill.  So be more concerned with how it gets from 60-75 mph.  That's what I worry about.  I found that my bike is more responsive on the lean side.  

The PO had a 55 pilot and a 155 in my bike.  It sounded nice, but performed like a turd.  Had to down shift going up hills, was a pig on fuel, spitting wet carbon exhaust all over the back wheel, etc.  

Went back to stock and it could idle up hills in 5th gear (slight exaggeration) and accelerated quicker.  So quick it would flatten out fast, which made it feel almost slow, like it wasn't pulling as hard.  But the bike was topping out in each gear quicker with less noise (a cleaner, quieter sound) that made it seem like it lost power.  It pulls better at highway speeds but gets really soft at 75 mph.  

It runs so well off the bottom, I almost don't want to mess with it.  It's really fun to short shift it.  I would like it to pull each gear just a tad longer so I'll mess around with the main jet a little more but I can't see ever going as rich as the guy I bought it from.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #205 - 02/23/18 at 18:30:59

ohiomoto wrote on 02/23/18 at 16:46:43:
You'll be lucky to crack 80 mph going downhill.  So be more concerned with how it gets from 60-75 mph.  That's what I worry about.  I found that my bike is more responsive on the lean side.  

The PO had a 55 pilot and a 155 in my bike.  It sounded nice, but performed like a turd.  Had to down shift going up hills, was a pig on fuel, spitting wet carbon exhaust all over the back wheel, etc.  

Went back to stock and it could idle up hills in 5th gear (slight exaggeration) and accelerated quicker.  So quick it would flatten out fast, which made it feel almost slow, like it wasn't pulling as hard.  But the bike was topping out in each gear quicker with less noise (a cleaner, quieter sound) that made it seem like it lost power.  It pulls better at highway speeds but gets really soft at 75 mph.  

It runs so well off the bottom, I almost don't want to mess with it.  It's really fun to short shift it.  I would like it to pull each gear just a tad longer so I'll mess around with the main jet a little more but I can't see ever going as rich as the guy I bought it from.

Any stock engined bike, even with an HD muffler, should never have a main jet larger than a 152.5, and a pilot of 52.5.
Depending on geography you might run better with 50/150, or combinations of those sets.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #206 - 02/28/18 at 07:02:24

The jet set from Lancer was waiting on me this morning when I checked the box. I put the 150 main in and replaced the 52.5 pilot that was in there with the new one that came in the kit. Gonna go see how it acts in a bit... waiting on the bike shop to open up to see about getting a fresh filter. It is oil change time.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #207 - 03/01/18 at 17:59:38

The dealership put a couple filters on rush for me yesterday and sure enough they showed up today. I swung by and picked them and a couple fresh spare orings up and briskly made my way to the house.

Fresh filter, fresh oil, and no changes in jetting other than the jump from 145 to 150 main. It pulls like a freight train in 1st up to 40mph. Pulls all the way to redding without skipping a beat in 2nd. It flattens out at about 60 in 3rd. It makes it to 70 in 4th, could probably push it harder in no wind to 75. In 5th it does 75 at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. It gets a little wobbly trying to push much past that on the particular road I was testing on. Might be a little better on the highway... might be a lot better with no windshield and the front fender mounted back on to help stabilize the forks.

It might stand to go up one more size on the main... in which case you hit the nail directly on the head Batz.

Will see how it does going down to the coast and back tomorrow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #208 - 03/01/18 at 18:05:45

Has anyone talked about oil?
The dealership isn't gonna have the one the Savage needs.
Cheapest, Good oil is Shell Rotella 15/40

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #209 - 03/02/18 at 04:21:50

I'm running T4 in the Savage. Next oil change I will try t6.
Oil filter is aftermarket HiFlow HF137.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 04:29:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.