Send Topic Print
Big Bore Bobber Build (Read 3221 times)
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #180 - 02/15/18 at 04:18:29

So barring any screwy efficiency numbers, I think it has significantly improved. It does not act like it wants to accelerate any more if I try rolling off the throttle once it reaches max speed. It does pop a little on decel but much more tolerable than it was. I'm much less concerned with the backfires on decel and shutdown than I am with drivability. Now I don't get stuck in the wind bubbles while getting around big trucks. The pvc elbow moved the air filter to a spot where for whatever reason it is no longer trying to deafen me lol. When I had it directly on the carb it was obnoxiously loud. The engine does not sound as labored at higher speeds. It now gets up to highway speed pretty dang fast... almost as fast as I can roll the throttle!

Thank you fellas for offering up your experience and expertise. I was getting close to throwing in the towel and just selling it lol. Would you believe I have had 2 offers of 5k$ for it in the past 2 weeks!? Being in the situation I was in... The offers were pretty dang tempting. I am glad I held out l though.

If all goes well, I will get my YZF600 out of the shop in the next couple days so my better half and I can go ride again. She has not been on a bike since the day the 1st wiseco piston failed. She has been binge watching moto-vloggers in lieu of getting on the bike.

I have a brand spankin` new set of Shenko something or other paid for and waiting on me to pick up when I go get the YZF. In addition to the fresh set of sneeks, this bike will get an overbuilt aluminum diamond plate battery box... And that's it. I'm calling this build complete. It's comfortable, fun to ride, aesthetically pleasing to look at (to me anyway lol), and super easy to work on with all the extra junk out of the way. It turns heads, and confuses people regularly! I love the questions on peoples' faces when they realize it is not a sportster lol!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #181 - 02/15/18 at 04:50:39

Christof13T wrote on 02/15/18 at 04:18:29:
It does pop a little on decel but much more tolerable than it was. I'm much less concerned with the backfires on decel and shutdown than I am with drivability.

Good for you.  You need to jet the carb for how the bike "runs" while applying throttle - not for what the bike does when coasting.

The stock muffler (and air cleaner) do a good job of masking the sound and making the bike quiet - when you install a different air cleaner and more open exhaust......you can more clearly hear the noise that is inherent in a big single and a simple carb.  When an engine has 250cc per cylinder they don't make a lot of noise on decel......650cc cylinders can get noisy.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #182 - 02/15/18 at 05:04:28

Christof13T wrote on 02/15/18 at 04:18:29:
Would you believe I have had 2 offers of 5k$ for it in the past 2 weeks!?
------------------------------------

Unbelievable! More unbelievable is that you didn't take the money and run!!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #183 - 02/15/18 at 10:57:19

I know right! I probably should have jumped on it lol.
Next time someone makes the offer, its getting sold.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #184 - 02/15/18 at 12:27:05

Call them back and sell it..
You can buy another good used one and play with it and still have money left over.
This is the perfect time to buy before it really starts to warm up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #185 - 02/15/18 at 12:33:34

I did the bodywork on my boss's 64 F 150. Didn't have all the trim on it yet, but he was running errands with it.
He came in bragging some guy offered$7,000.00 for it at a light.
I said
Show me the keys.
He did.
I asked
Do you know what that means?
He..
No , What?
Me

Two idiots met..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #186 - 02/16/18 at 06:25:52

LANCER wrote on 02/15/18 at 12:27:05:
Call them back and sell it..
You can buy another good used one and play with it and still have money left over.
This is the perfect time to buy before it really starts to warm up.

They were both just random dudes. One at the gas pump, and one on my way into little caeser's to grab lunch. I guess I just wasn't gifted with that salesman reflex. My first thoughts were that I just put so much time into it, and it's not even broken in yet! Lol.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #187 - 02/16/18 at 07:58:45

You can tell the next on you're too deep in it to let it go for five.. but six would work,, and let him talk you down a bit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #188 - 02/17/18 at 05:28:12

Ok, the carb rebuild kit came in yesterday morning. I picked it up from the post office on the way out of town and was almost salivating to get it all swapped out when I got home.

The rebuild kit came with a 130 main jet, and I wanna say a 45.5 pilot. It also came with a replacement jet for the top side (the smaller one) and new needle jet and needle. The needle it came with has the 3 position undercuts for the e clip. I set it to the middle slot with 1 shim under the clip.

The idle now sounds lopey like a cam'd up sb 350. It hesitates and wants to stall if I give it a bump of throttle from idle... but will climb the revs if I start to roll on it very gently. It is ballsy as all get out in 1st... most of 2nd, then falls on its face 1/3rd or so into the throttle.

I'm going to try going back to the pilot I previously had in it, leave the 130 main jet, and put the stock Jett I replaced back in the top side.

On the plus side, the fresh float valve and seat have cured the fuel puking issue...

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #189 - 02/17/18 at 06:56:02

Swapped the 130 main jet back out with the 145, and put the pilot jet marked 52.5 back in, rechecked the needle and noticed it was NOT on the middle undercut, it was on the bottom... so moved it up to the middle notch.  Also swapped the smaller jet on the top side back out to the stock one. I wanna say it is a number 45... the kit came with a number 70.

Along with a little silly cone lube spray on the slide... these last changes have greatly improved the behavior.

We're going to go for a ride yo rockport and back as soon as the bike shop opens up so I can go pick up my Thundercat.  This will be my better half's first time back on the bike since the first rebuild failure.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #190 - 02/18/18 at 05:16:32

Finally got her new sneaks on yesterday. Our plans to actually go ride were kinda shot to hell tho. The shop was crazy busy so they did not get my tires mounted until right before 5pm. I was mistsken... they are not Shenko something or other. .. they are Dunlop something or other lol.

I attempted to dismount the old ones myself here at the house and promptly learned I had bitten off way more than I could chew with my spoons. I probably could have gotten them off the rims but not without causing serious damage. I suppose it was worth the 90$ extra for dismount, mount, balance at the stealership.

I'm still confused as to weather at this point it would like a leaner, or richer mix to play nicer at 70+mph.  I have the 52.5 pilot and 145 main jet in it now with the e clip on the slide needle in the middle position with 2 spacer shims under it.  I hope to see that efficiency has improved after today's ride to Rockport and back.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #191 - 02/18/18 at 06:41:23

Christof13T wrote on 02/17/18 at 05:28:12:
The rebuild kit came with a 130 main jet, and I wanna say a 45.5 pilot. It also came with a replacement jet for the top side (the smaller one) and new needle jet and needle...
--------------------

Doesn't sound like the kit was made for the Savage with those jets.  Probably why you ended up using the stock jets.  

That's why I'll never buy a carb "rebuild kit" for a motorcycle.  There is really nothing in it that you can't buy on your own.  They just sell you a few jets, a gasket, and float needle & seat if it's a good kit.  Plus, I have never once seen a clogged jet in a motorcycle that has sat less than a 4-5 years.  

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #192 - 02/18/18 at 12:07:41

I honestly only spent the 25$ or so for the full rebuild kit for the brand new float valve and seat. It has cured the vent puke problem so far.  I guess I could have just found and ordered the valve and seat by themselves but figured wth... if nothing else I will have more spares of everything else.

The ride down to rockport this morning was borderline miserable.  Visibility was at about 100 yes due to fog. The fog droplets were dang near as big as rain droplets lol. The better half was a bit nerve rattled in the weather so we putted along between 55-60mph most of the trip. She did start getting comfortable about 15 miles out as the sun started peeking and rolled into it up to 70mph a few times. I will update again when we fill up for the ride home with efficiency numbers from this morning's ride.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #193 - 02/18/18 at 18:14:12

I think we may be on to something.
After about a 90 mile back roads round about route to rockport this morning the bike consumed 1.921 gal at the pump before heading back to the bustling metropolis of victoria.  (Not really "about", it was exactly 90.4 miles from pump to pump...) it was pretty foggy this morning and right on the bleeding edge of rain 3/4 of the trip. We mostly hung around between 55-65... with a few very short bursts up to 70.

47mpg is a bit of an improvement.
The new Dunlops don't look too bad. I'll try to remember to get a picture in the morning before I head back down south.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #194 - 02/18/18 at 21:17:14

Chris ,E clip on the needle? Are you running a needle other than stock ? Was that a part of the Sigma kit? Or are you running a 86/87 carb? If your bike is newer than 95 and you been mixing parts from the old and new style carbs your in big trouble ,these are two different animals.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 10:50:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.