Big Bore Bobber Build (Read 3221 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #150 - 02/10/18 at 14:07:07

Chris go back and read my last post, you didn't do a needle lift ,you did a needle drop ,your running super lean in the midrange! that will cause a midrange sag no matter what gear your in.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #151 - 02/10/18 at 14:25:09

batman wrote on 02/10/18 at 14:07:07:
Chris go back and read my last post, you didn't do a needle lift ,you did a needle drop ,your running super lean in the midrange! that will cause a midrange sag no matter what gear your in.

I read it Batzy! I read It !  I removed the white spacer and left it with just the 2 lil washers. About to go test it now...

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #152 - 02/10/18 at 14:43:12

It's playing nice again.
More than nice.
from a rolling start in 1st it darn near just lifted the front wheel off the ground...

Very slight backfiring with fully closed throttle during decel... almost none with it cracked open.

So yeah... I guess I goofed when I messed with the needle the first time.
Don't know how it was running so well before...?

Will have to see what the efficiency numbers look like...
That was the reason I dug into this and started swapping filters to begin with... 28mpg is unsat lol.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #153 - 02/10/18 at 15:14:17

chris ,cheer up we all goof ,I had you at 9000ft and you are at 90 how's that for goof! Does your face look like this? Smileythen it's all good.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #154 - 02/10/18 at 17:45:40

Lol yeah well it will be if the efficiency improves as well as performance just did. It's like 1/3 of its nootz were restrained. I'm thinking bout lifting it one more washer and turning the mix screw in about a quarter of a turn and see how it does for 60 miles or so. Throttle response is much more snappy, and there is almost no lag in feedback.

I will take a video of it acting right in it's new form tomorrow and post it...
Much less fed up with it lmao...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #155 - 02/11/18 at 09:59:06

Chris ,three washers are usually used for elevations above 1000ft ,your close to sea level that's why I said two. Three might have you running to lean, but you could try,  and just check your plug. I'm thinking your mpg should jump to at least low to mid 40's.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #156 - 02/11/18 at 12:26:19

You figured out what was going on Batman. Good for you. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #157 - 02/11/18 at 13:14:05

Norm , the fact that Chris was running oversize main jet ,but his plug was showing lean ,made me suspect. he also said he was running speeds of about 55-60 ,this is mid range  (1/4-3/4 throttle) and controlled by the needle jet, jet needle,(lean) not the main(3/4-WOT) he had to have been running past 3/4 throttle to achieve 60 mph thus is poor mpg of 28.34.(rich because of the large main)

« Last Edit: 02/11/18 at 19:44:34 by batman »  

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #158 - 02/11/18 at 20:15:04

I was told here that removing the gas cap, then parking a new bike under it, replacing the cap would have fixed it.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #159 - 02/11/18 at 20:55:40

It was too dang cold to really go ride today but I did swap the filters back and forth a couple of times and it seriously does not like that big free flowing cone filter! It does exactly the same thing every time I put it on there. It seems to just refuse to operate the slide at all with the cone...

I could ask a little more of it with the pancake filter higher up in the RPM range but I will wait until the full 1500 mile break in completion to start trying to fine tune it too much.

If it's not too nasty I will ride tomorrow and see if efficiency has improved.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #160 - 02/11/18 at 21:44:35

There are air passages on the end of the carburetor throat. If the mount covers them, stuff don't work

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #161 - 02/12/18 at 04:13:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/11/18 at 21:44:35:
There are air passages on the end of the carburetor throat. If the mount covers them, stuff don't work

Back up a little in the thread where I started talking about the addition of the big cone air filter...

I currently have it plumbed in with:
  Stock carb-airbox boot to a pvc 90* street with about a 3.5" nipple of pipe hanging down the backside of the battery. The air filter attaches to the end of the nipple hanging down.
There are no obstructions. Quite the opposite, I think... is occurring.
The cone filer flows too freely, and allows for no build up of air pressure at the rear top edge of the carb mouth. The port on the top side center of the mouth of the carburetor controls the slide diaphragm.

It's freaking cold outside this morning... but mostly dry and not too windy. I am going to bundle up and make the commute on it. Keeping the fingers crossed the efficiency improves!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #162 - 02/12/18 at 04:15:24

Eegore wrote on 02/11/18 at 20:15:04:
 I was told here that removing the gas cap, then parking a new bike under it, replacing the cap would have fixed it.

Now that's just funny right there...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #163 - 02/12/18 at 04:41:28

My engine is modified a bit, has a Stage 1 cam, Wiseco piston and the first year after the engine build I ran a stock carb and a Dyna muffler.  I used an oxygen sensor to jet the carb - I ended up with a #150 main, #50 pilot and 2 washers.

While being gentle on the new piston I regularly got 62 mpg - this was all back road riding between 40-50 mph.  As the break in period ended and I started to ride at normal speeds, mileage dropped to somewhere around 55 mpg. (I don't ride 70 - 75 mph highway speeds long enough to know what kind of mileage I get at speed).  I can think of only 1 time my mileage ever dropped into the 40's - and I was down in the mountains riding very aggressively around the corners and accelerating on the straight sections.......having a wonderful time!

If you aren't getting up into the 50 mpg range - something is wrong with your setup.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #164 - 02/12/18 at 06:58:04

Christof13T wrote on 02/12/18 at 04:15:24:
Eegore wrote on 02/11/18 at 20:15:04:

Now that's just funny right there...

Funny because its true!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1496280933/18#18

Admittedly I rarely work on my own bikes so I am here more to learn than actually apply the skills myself.  The info in this thread helps out though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/29/24 at 04:00:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.