Send Topic Print
Did you know this..... (Read 164 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Did you know this.....
Reply #15 - 10/10/17 at 12:21:51

Who joined the fight to protect the guy down the road from losing his slaves?
If it was about slavery, seems only slave owners would have been fighting.
And why did Lincoln say he would allow slavery IF he could and save the union?
Seems like that
Emancipation Proclamation would have been included in the first statements if slavery was The issue.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/10/17 at 12:55:55

Arguing the Civil War wasn't about slavery is like saying the husband who shot the guy in bed with his wife did it because he didn't like his sheets getting dirty.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 10/10/17 at 13:39:37

No. It's not. All you need to do is read history about the way D.C.was walking on the south.
And question what we have been taught.
The Reason we were involved in Nam was?
A Lie.
Iraq, WMDS, lie.
Officially sanctioned lies.
Explain why Lincoln said what he said.
If YOU were going to embark on a war and The Central Point was slavery,
Why would you Not start, in the declaration, with the Emancipation proclamation?
And WHY would the son of a poor farmer go off to war unless HE HAD SLAVES?
Would You?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #18 - 10/10/17 at 13:53:37

T And T Garage wrote on 10/10/17 at 12:00:15:
raydawg wrote on 10/10/17 at 08:05:07:
T And T Garage wrote on 10/10/17 at 05:33:40:
raydawg wrote on 10/09/17 at 14:59:56:
T And T Garage wrote on 10/09/17 at 14:25:03:
Is there a point you're trying to make?

Why you ask......
Surely not to challenge your own beliefs.

No ray - I knew that.  Slave trade was a gigantic business and this country was just one of many....

But what is your point?

Yeah, only 4 percent of it, yet folks like to paint a picture that America was the greatest evil of this whole ugly scar on mankind.

That sounds like your white guilt showing... even though you're not white!   Grin

I guess we can thank the "stunt" mentality of those trying to prove a point by empowering themselves with identity politics....

Like how pence staged his walkout?  Yeah.

Which I believe is fueling this anger and divide in our country.

Yes, it is.

Why aren't those other nations reported on?

Because we don't live there and... well... they are not the US... lol

Oh, because our politicians aren't running for office there, you say.....

Do Black Lives Matter, only matter, here in the USA?  

Yes - if you knew what the BLM movement was, you wouldn't ask that question.

Hey ray - next time, why not just defend atrocities in this country by saying something like "well, they do worse things in Cambodia...." or the like?

Please, stop trying to point fingers at others for what clearly is our own fault.

Oh, you mean like Bush did it, yeah, love the deflecting

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: Did you know this.....j
Reply #19 - 10/10/17 at 14:05:43

I can find a letter from Grant to the Tribune, but can't read it.
As for the six percent figure who owned slaves, sounds low.
The quotes I've seen .

In August of 1852 Lincoln said "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it… what I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union." Lincoln also said on September 18th, 1858, "I will say, then, that I am not, nor have I ever been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races." In 1861 Lincoln was asked "why not let the South go in peace?" He replied by saying "I can't let them go. Who would pay for the government?" I have found no proof that Lincoln was a slave owner, but I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that he was not seeking to abolish slavery.
General Grant made the comment that, "The sole object of this war is to restore the Union.” Should I be convinced it has any other object, or that the government designs using its soldiers to execute the wishes of the abolitionists, I pledge to you my honor as a man and a soldier I would resign my commission and carry my sword to the other side" in a letter to the Chicago Tribune 1862. Union General William T. Sherman said in 1864 "I am honest in my belief that it is not fair to my men to count Negros as equals. Let us capture Negros, of course, and use them to the best advantage." As I said before, these two men both owned slaves, and did not want to free them. I honestly do not see how so many "politically correct" people can stand there and say the "North was right."

"Just as most Northerners did not fight to end slavery, most Southerners did not fight to preserve it," wrote James I. Robertson, Jr.

Fighting for a 'Lost Cause' By Richard K. Kolb
Reasons for risking life and limb varied, but they usually came down to four fundamentals: uphold state sovereignty, regional duty, group solidarity and protection of home and family.

The notion that the average Confederate waged war to preserve slavery is a tenuous one at best. Only 6 percent of Southerners owned slaves, and 3 percent of those owned the majority. Recruits themselves referred to the war as "a rich man's war and a poor man's fight."

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/11/17 at 06:27:22

raydawg wrote on 10/10/17 at 13:53:37:
Oh, you mean like Bush did it, yeah, love the deflecting

No ray - bush was an idiot.  He did a lot of stupid things.  So did Obama.  Now, so is tweety.  This has nothing to do with them

Going back to your original post - this is about slavery and the moot point you seem to want to push.

Just because other countries did the same (or worse) than we did, doesn't make our atrocities any better.

Put your dog whistle away.

You really should look up "white guilt" and see how it applies to your perspective (and yeah, I know that you're a Native American - but if the shoe fits...)

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/11/17 at 08:34:42

The concept of an individual State was far more important back then. In fact, wasn't Robert E Lee asked to lead the North's forces but he said if Virginia left the Union, he was obliged to go with her or something like that.  

There is a certain percentage of the definition of state sovereignty that is a euphemism for legal slavery. What percentage seems to me would  depend upon a person's moral objection and/or their economic dependency to slave labor.

I think state's right and slavery are two sides of the same coin.  But no matter, and this isn't an arguable point, without slavery, there would have been no war.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 10/11/17 at 09:24:29

Today's modern slavery is human trafficking and it goes on in our own neighborhoods.

If you feel like doing something about this today so future generations aren't looking at us having similar discussions you can look into the following resources.

Personally I'd start by forgetting about statues and letting your kids know that human trafficking happens and that it can happen to them.  It can happen to their friends and we can help people.

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/
https://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2017/
https://polarisproject.org/facts

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #23 - 10/11/17 at 10:02:59

Eegore wrote on 10/11/17 at 09:24:29:
 Today's modern slavery is human trafficking and it goes on in our own neighborhoods.

If you feel like doing something about this today so future generations aren't looking at us having similar discussions you can look into the following resources.

Personally I'd start by forgetting about statues and letting your kids know that human trafficking happens and that it can happen to them.  It can happen to their friends and we can help people.

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/
https://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2017/
https://polarisproject.org/facts

+1

But to a political operative your suggestion is like peeing in the ocean while swimming....
It gives you a temporary warmth.

To use identity politics is a avenue to empowerment, well, it has been, but we are seeing it collapse right before our eyes...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/11/17 at 10:22:42

identity politics is in the eye of the beholder.
democrats use identity politics when they talk about their imagined war on woman or when the terrorist group BLM's uses it

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #25 - 10/11/17 at 10:50:47

WebsterMark wrote on 10/11/17 at 10:22:42:
democrats use identity politics when they talk about their imagined war on woman or when the terrorist group BLM's uses it

Yep, just like TT's "white guilt" BS.

It is used for only one reason, to pigeonhole folk, in this case, white folk.
If you stand against it, they say that proves it.
No, it just stupid to label folks by race, PERIOD.......

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 10/11/17 at 11:26:52

I wouldn't agree with that, there are valid reasons.

However, one of the best definitions of racism I've seen is 'to assign negative attributes to a person based solely upon skin color'.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #27 - 10/11/17 at 11:32:47

Valid reasons how?

I am not talking cultural or medical, etc, but merely for separation, as in divide and conquer.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/11/17 at 11:52:37

I didn't post to a "political operative" I posted here, to you all.

As I've indicated in other threads I try to be active in local legislation that changes things where I am.  We have successfully recalled and removed from office individuals enacting laws against their constituency.  My group is a dues paying organization with CCASA and actively works to change laws in my state:

http://www.ccasa.org/colorado-sex-assault-and-stalking-victims-can-break-thei...

Political Operatives or not, pissing in an ocean or not, typing here does little for the people in need today.  Discussing the history of slavery in America does little for the people being sold tomorrow.  

Also having worked in a medical center for 11 years I can say knowing a person's race is very helpful in assessing a person's immediate and long term prognosis.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 10/11/17 at 13:13:37

raydawg wrote on 10/11/17 at 10:50:47:
WebsterMark wrote on 10/11/17 at 10:22:42:

Yep, just like TT's "white guilt" BS.

BS?  LOL - thats rich!   Grin

Hey there pal - YOU'RE the one who began this post.  Not me.

Like I said - look up what it is.

Oh, and while you're at it - actually find out what identity politics really is.  You're throwing it around like it's some new buzzword and, as usual, are using it in the wrong context...   Grin

It is used for only one reason, to pigeonhole folk, in this case, white folk.
If you stand against it, they say that proves it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:22:33

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Did you know this.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.