New S40 owner! (Read 366 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: New S40 owner!
Reply #15 - 10/05/17 at 06:25:21

I've been  playing with my jetting this summer and the best thing I found for the backfires is a slightly higher idle speed.  I'm currently running "lean" stock jetting with a Dyna muffler.  (I don't think the "lean" stock jetting is a lean as everyone says it is.)  I still get some backfires (which don't bother me) but they will just about vanish with a slightly higher idle speed.  Stock speed is 1100 and I would guess I'm closer to 1200.  And it's a guess.

The PO had a low idle and supper rich jetting with (55/155/white spacer mod).  I think he wanted it to sound like a Harley and it did have a deeper sound, it was smooth power but it was slow and had a hard time accelerating. Going from 60 to 70 on the freeway took forever.  

My "lean" jetting isn't perfected yet (possibly still a bit rich on the bottom end or slightly lean in the middle), but it's running much cleaner and accelerates a lot faster.  I have a little more testing to do, but my point is DON'T jet for sound or backfires.  Jet for power and performance, live with the backfires (normal for our bikes) and/or adjust the idle (within reason) to compensate.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #16 - 10/05/17 at 12:54:53

Setting the idle circuit slightly rich (not flooded) will help slightly with the pops on decel and backfires when you shut it off.   Cool

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #17 - 10/05/17 at 13:54:06

Keith, welcome. I would add about taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course if new to riding. I have been riding off and on my whole life and just took a course in August at the recommendation of a friend who is an instructor here in Jersey. I was surprised to learn how much I didn't know, though I thought I did. There were folks who didn't make it through the full 3 days and a couple who failed. It's well worth the time and money. The more you learn the safer you will be.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 10/05/17 at 15:04:00

"Live with the backfires, normal for our bikes".

It is normal for our bikes only because they are jetted & tuned too lean at the factory.  
With good jetting & tuning of the carb, AND the choice of a good muffler, backfires can be eliminated.  It takes both to achieve the desired result, the good "popping & crackling" on decel.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 10/05/17 at 15:20:07

It takes both to achieve the desired result, the good "popping & crackling" on decel.

Reelthing had it right when I got it from him.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
keithloomis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Idle Mix Screw Brass Plug removal  (with Pics)
Reply #20 - 04/24/18 at 05:33:31

Stock 2012 S40, 1500 miles on the odometer.  I have swapped to Raptor Petcock.

Altitude: Sea Level

My bike backfires a lot on decel (which I dont really mind).  Bike sat for a while (9 months?) when it was with the previous owner.  Couldn't have been ridden much only having 1500 miles.  The bike idles very low/slow (rough).  Idle sounds MUCH better when choked.  Bike runs great at every speed when I'm not idling

From my research I have seen that the idle screw will unseat approx 3 turns.  "Turning the screw clockwise will turn the screw in and reduce the amount of fuel, turning it counterclockwise will increase the amount of fuel in the mix".  Also, "The engine should be completely warmed up before you start trying to adjust the idle mixture"

I have looked up how to remove the brass plug.  

Is starting with the idle mixture screw a good start?

Is it possible i need to mess with my idle SPEED screw?

If neither of these get my idle to sound better I think I should clean my carb out and make sure I dont have any debris or anything clogged?

THANKS!!

Keith

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #21 - 04/24/18 at 21:18:08

@keithloomis

is starting with the idle mixture screw a good start?

It's definitely the *first* thing every owner should do.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #22 - 05/05/18 at 17:56:14

His is an old thread but I will reply anyway.  My last Savage project was a 97 that had been through the ringer.  The owner must have been here because the bike had the marks of suzukisavage.com.   raptor, little mods here and there ect.  Anyway, there was high flow fi!ter in when I got it, and I swapped it out to a stock paper one.  Backfires went away 90 %

2008 S40
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #23 - 07/17/18 at 21:46:20

eau de sauvage wrote on 04/24/18 at 21:18:08:
@keithloomis

is starting with the idle mixture screw a good start?

It's definitely the *first* thing every owner should do.

Totally agree with above    I gave my idle mixture screw an extra half turn today  and it made a huge difference to the rideability.  Much smoother throttle from idle and no more afterfiring on decelerating but still does a cough on shutoff. I dont mind that.  Had trouble removing cover plug until I used a clawhammer claw under the head of the extracting screw and levering off the end of the butterfly shaft?   Then it was easy.
Many thanks for advice on this to everyone

Hiko   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 05:46:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New S40 owner!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.