Send Topic Print
New S40 owner! (Read 366 times)
keithloomis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New S40 owner!
10/03/17 at 12:36:38

Just bought a 2012 Suzuki Boulevard LS650 S40. Jumped on this forum as soon as I bought it.  Lot of smart people here!  

Bike info:
1250 miles
Latest inspection sticker (04/2016)
Previous Owner said it has been ridden "a couple times" since last inspection. Also told me it "runs rough".  He took it to a Honda shop and they told him the carb needed to be cleaned/serviced and it would be $300 but that the bike could ride without the adjustment.
Previous owner said he changed oil and filter ~1yr ago.

I have rode bike around.  It backfires when letting off the gas, going to a coast.  Rides smooth when accelerating and shifting through gears.  There is some bluing on the exhaust headers.  

I just got a new raptor petcock in.  Will install it and put in new gas today and give an update.

Any other recommendations for a newer bike, with low miles, not much history?

1. Should I install an inline fuel filter when changing petcock?
2. Would you guys change any fluids/do any preventative maintenance?
3. I am at sea level (Virginia Beach).  Should I jet carb? (saw it runs lean at low elevation)
4. Does this cam tensioner versy adjuster thing apply to me?

Love the bike.  

Thanks,
Keith

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New S40 owner!
Reply #1 - 10/03/17 at 12:44:00

Check your exhaust header bolts. Loose will backfire. Just snug, don't get all macho. Busted stuff sucks worse than leaky stuff..
Right now just put Rotella T 15/40 in and a new filter.
Plug the vacuum if you swap out the petcock. Don't recommend you add a filter.
Too few miles to worry about the cam chain.
You can run some Seafoam through the gas and see if it smoothes out

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/03/17 at 12:52:40

Kieth:

1. Should I install an inline fuel filter when changing petcock?

NO, it already has 2 filters...one on petcock and one in carb.  Additional filters can cause fuel flow problems.

2. Would you guys change any fluids/do any preventative maintenance?

Change brake fluid every couple of years, change oil when it gets dirty or old.

3. I am at sea level (Virginia Beach).  Should I jet carb? (saw it runs lean at low elevation)

Maybe, but jetting doesn't have a huge effect on the backfires when you fully close the throttle while coasting or shifting.  Learn to keep it cracked open just a hair to cut down on backfiring.  If you have a lean surge at low throttle when accelerating slowly - then you may need to raise the needle.

4. Does this cam tensioner versy adjuster thing apply to me?

Not yet, you likely need to check once you get more than 10K miles on it - 20Kif your rides are all day ones!  Short trips cause the tensioner to extend with fewer miles than long rides.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #3 - 10/03/17 at 13:49:59

Welcome Keith !!

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 10/03/17 at 14:41:19

A 2012 is 5 years old ,you may want to think about replacing the tires, I 'm sure they look OK,but that rubber may be hard due to age.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #5 - 10/04/17 at 01:14:08

I'd suggest reading up on the carb tuning. I'm at sea level also (in Australia). It's a really interesting subject. The two things I would keep in mind are: 1. If you tune out all the backfire that occurs on closed throttle, you'll probably be running rich the rest of the time, and 2. the tuning changes with the weather, so you're looking for a good average.

I tuned mine in summer and settled for a slight back fire, and a very, very mild lean surge when cruising at low rpm. The bike pulls hard on WOT and purrs at high rpm. Then through the winter, the backfire disappeared and the bike didn't have quite the same kick.

We've just crossed over into spring, and the occasional day at about 10 degrees Celsius higher, and the small backfire is back - but I had forgotten how much punch the bike has on acceleration!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/04/17 at 02:54:20

If you are new to these bikes, be careful of the rear brake in panic stops, it tends to lock up. If you are on the original IRC brand tyres, be careful in the wet, or on tar snakes as some here call them. If you can afford it, contemplate replacing the rear tyre. There is a value for money Shinko, which is very popular here, although I run a more expensive Michelin Commander.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
keithloomis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/04/17 at 05:17:41

WOW.  Thanks for the warm welcome and quick replies.

Got busy yesterday.  Installing petcock today.  Will also check exhaust header bolts - thanks Justin.  Will try seafoam if other stuff doesn't resolve issue.

Thanks Dave.  Great info.  I'm sure raising the needle will be detailed when I read up on carb tuning.

Hello Poppa Bear!

Ill check tires today Batman. I assume they are original

IslandRoad - good stuff.  I am a mechanical engineer and think I will find it pretty interesting.  Sounds like you have a good tune. no backfire or slight backfire with some vroom vroom!

jcstokes - I am new to the bike AND motorcycles!  I will inspect the brakes and ensure to keep a good distance and be careful on hard stops.  thanks.

Ill post an update soon

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 10/04/17 at 06:18:12

Welcome keith!
Heed the advice about being easy on the header bolts.  A small or stubby ratchet and just snug them up.  Couple fingers on the ratchet handle, not your whole hand.  Do this when the motor is cold.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/04/17 at 06:23:31

Don't sweat the rear brake wear.
Nobody I know of has ever worn those out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
keithloomis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/04/17 at 10:30:22

Do you guys run premium gas?  Any benefits?

Stick with recommended tire psi in the owners manual?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/04/17 at 10:35:01

keithloomis wrote on 10/04/17 at 10:30:22:
Do you guys run premium gas?  Any benefits?

Stick with recommended tire psi in the owners manual?

No benefit from Premium Gas in a low compression engine like the Savage has.  You can buy a "name brand" fuel like Shell, Sunoco, etc. as they have better additive packages than cheap gas stations and it can help to keep things clean.

The recommended tire pressures will work fine to get you started.  You can play around a few pounds in either direction and see what it does for you........however the stock IRC tires aren't very good no matter what the tire pressure is.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 10/04/17 at 11:14:18

Keith, if you are new to motorcycles, have you done the Motorcycle Safety Foundations course? I'm far from the USA, but some on this forum recommend it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
keithloomis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/04/17 at 11:38:38

Thanks Dave

I plan on taking the motorcycle safety course soon!

IP Logged
keithloomis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/05/17 at 03:51:05

Raptor Petcock installed. Capped off the old vac port and put in a new fuel line b/c mine wasn't in great shape.  Filled her up with new gas and rode around for 20 miles.

I also snugged the header bolts (I think - I tightened 2 bolts)

Bike still backfired when letting off the throttle in 1st gear and sometimes in 2nd.  She ran great though.  I am going to take IslandRoad's advice and read up on carbs and tuning.  Possibly when it cools down this winter the backfire will disappear.  And the bike is running strong when ran hard.  I might be in the sweet spot!?

Tires appear to be the original IRC Grand High Speed's.  At 5 years/1,250 miles the tires aren't very worn, but I guess the rubber is aging a little.  I guess I'll get some new Shinko's at some point?  But not in a rush?

Thanks everyone for help so far.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 14:44:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New S40 owner!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.