Italian Bikes (Read 784 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Italian Bikes
Reply #60 - 09/21/17 at 20:44:50

Ruttly , the Savage is still more comfortable , but the Guzzi is so Smooth and Double the power is nice too.    Roll Eyes    With the gearing on the Savage it does 75 on the Super-Slab just fine and still keeps its speed going uphill , but the Guzzi is only geared for about 120 @ rev-limiter and leaves me looking for High-Gear a lot.   They are night and day different , Standard Seating / Cruiser Seating .   I like them both !  Grin

If I had of gotten the Guzzi V-9 , then the Savage might have something to worry about.   The V-9 with the 19" front tire and 16" rear is very reminiscent of the Savage's manners .   Smiley   But , its only got a 4.1 gal fuel tank --- the V-7 has 5.55 gal.  Wink

09-Moto-Guzzi-V9.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #61 - 09/22/17 at 21:40:27

The V9 looks nice but I prefer the standard look of the V7 like yours. It has that vintage look that I like.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #62 - 09/22/17 at 21:59:30

The  5.55 gal. V-7 , is good .   The fuel light comes on when 4 gals are gone (225miles +-) , nice to know there is a solid 75 miles left to find fuel.  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 11/21/17 at 10:03:09

MM....I am afraid that maybe you bought the wrong Guzzi for riding double.

This couple has been on the road for 2.5 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wkSePMgR0k

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #64 - 11/21/17 at 10:10:40

Complete with a reverse osmosis water purification system that turns urine into drinking water !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #65 - 11/21/17 at 19:59:45

Ruttly

That Guzzi is Spoiling me to the other two !!!

Its so easy to like :   The only thing is that rear tire is not going to last like a Commander II would and Commanders don't come in 130/90-17 ...

The V-9 uses a 150/80-16 that Commanders do come in that size .   It also has a slightly more Savage type sitting.   I might trade , if my local dealer ever gets a Roamer V-9 into stock .   Maybe in the spring ???  Huh

The HP is not much different and I wouldn't trade if HP was the only issue.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 11/22/17 at 03:19:20

MM:

The Pirelli Sport Demon is known for being a very sticky tire....with pretty short life.  It has incredible traction (wet or dry). and a lifespan of 6,000 to 8.000 miles.

The Bridgestone Battlax BT45 likely comes in the size you need, and it has a multi-rubber compound on the rear tire where the center is a harder rubber than the edges.  It lasts longer than the Sport Demon - but it is still a sport-touring tire with great traction and as a result the life is probably no more than 10,000 miles.

The Avon AM26 Roadrider is a good tire - but I have never owned a set yet.  A lot of the folks that do the speed record attempts use the Roadrider as they have a V rating on some models.

The Michelin Pilot Sport Activ is likely the next tire I will be buying for use on my Cafe' bike.  It is claimed to have a long tread life - however I am sure it will not last as long as a Commander.....but it will have more traction.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #67 - 11/22/17 at 16:31:30

I've got almost 3000 miles on the guzzi now .  if we go to Daytona bike week , it will be "tire time" soon as I get home.  
I still like that 5.5 gal. Tank 😀.   The standard seating.  The extra power,  The Sportbike handling.

It might be different , after a week long trip ???

Perhaps we should have "Bike Week" thread 😐

antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #68 - 11/22/17 at 18:07:20

I run Shinko 712s on both my Guzzis (both Tonti big blocks)
A 130/90-17 on the Jackal and a 140/80-17 on the Calvin.
I prefer the 130/90 as it steers a tad quicker.
I don't ride in the rain unless unintentional and then always take it quit easy, so I can't comment on wet traction.
I have been happy with the Shinkos on dry pavement.
Just put a set on the s40 2 weekends ago.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #69 - 11/23/17 at 19:54:31

Antmanbee

What kind of millage are you getting out of the "712's  ?   Huh

I'd really like to know ???  Tongue

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #70 - 11/23/17 at 22:21:16

Mike,

You have got to start to keeping a list of the rides you are seriously proposing and keeping up with who is planning on going.

As a recently non-working sort, I have some residual "large medical bills" to plan around -- and a slowly improving medical condition to plan around as well.   I will be going on all the rides that I can go on, and this will be a lot of them.

In short, I intend to CHEAT outrageously .....

Beware, I am still learning how to control my brand new bladder -- yes it is all bigger and better than it used to be, but now it wants to do the little boy "pee pee when you hear running water" sorts of things that I last did in the pre-kindergarten years.

It seems every surgery involves "starting all over fresh" with me ......     Wink

Can I beat this with a short catheter and a leg bag that you never see up inside my pants leg?   Sure I can, I can turn it into a serious iron butt advantage since with my aux gas tanks and a leg bag set to dribble to the pavement whenever I let go, I can ride and ride and ride and ride (just running last in line, thank you very much).

Next advantage is NOT REALLY CARING where we wind up camping, the only time I need a toilet is for the once daily dump which generally takes place after eating a larger meal (at the eating place, generally, or at a gas stop).

With a laser focus on what I can do, I intend to do a lot.

I am the new Bionic Iron Butt Biker ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #71 - 11/24/17 at 07:22:51

Dear OldIronButt   (I like that name)  Wink

You know all we have to do in-order to get rain is to put a solid date on anything.  

So , did you get your SS started ???  Huh     As a recently non-working sort,      You've should be entitled too the way I see it !     That would be a Game Changer ...

Yes , what if I looked to see if the ABATE group is doing the campground thing near Daytona for 2018 ???    That might be a good place for friends to gather in the early spring !   Smiley

antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #72 - 11/24/17 at 08:46:55

I am guessing that I will get about 6K out of the rear on the Jackal by comparing the tread depth of it to the newly installed one on the s40 and factoring in how much mileage I have on it already.
I have put 2.5k on the Jackal rear and it measures about 1/3 less than the new tire tread depth.

Your lighter Guzzi and also the s40 will probably do better.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #73 - 11/24/17 at 15:48:01

AntManBee

I got 22,000 miles out of the last Commander II I almost wore out ... on the Savage and 18,000 miles on a Commander for the Harley .   I know Commanders don't come in 130/90-17  ,  but I was hopeful to get at least 10-12 K miles out of my next Guzzi tire.   So the tire hunt continues ...  Wink

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #74 - 11/24/17 at 18:09:31

Saw a V7 today on the freeway , had a dull blue paint job. It looked brand new. What a good looking bike , I really like their retro/standard look and riding position looked very comfortable!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 04:09:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Italian Bikes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.