Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A polemic (and a plea) - metric v imperial (Read 313 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
A polemic (and a plea) - metric v imperial
07/18/17 at 23:25:27

Honestly, I love you all, and I admire your mental dexterity, but seriously, we need to talk.

When are you guys gonna get onto the metric system?

Here’s the back story to this polemic: My boss has an old lathe in the corner of the workshop. I asked him “If I look up on YouTube how to use a lathe can I have a go in my own time?” (I need some spacers for the bike) He said “Sure, as long as you look up safety aspects of using a lathe too”. Job done. So, I get on the lathe ... try to dial in my measurements. darn Imperial! ... and (I’m pretty sure) it was in metric increments of imperial measurements! I ended up using my (metric) Vernier Callipers to measure the job as I go.

The thing is, you guys already use metric anyway. What advice do you give newcomers about the white spacer mod? – 0.5 to 0.6 of the original size. In the specs you convert the original mm to inches, then give a metric version of the inches. You know why? ... because you don’t have a fraction for the job.
I’ve seen discussions about the correct internal diameter for the fuel line. Is it ¼” or 5/16”? ... you know what? It’s neither. The OEM spec is 7mm ... and you don’t have a fraction for that either!

You guys can launch a reusable rocket into space for heaven’s sake! You’ve done it many, many times. Do you think the control centre says “OK, we need to move the shuttle 5/16ths of a Roman thumb to the left, and 4/32nds of a Roman thumb to the North”? Of course not, you use metric when it really matters.

Let’s take it further. Do you know what 1 litre of water weighs – 1 Kilogram. And water freezes at zero. Every step above zero gets progressively better, and every step below zero gets progressively worse. It’s all tens, tens, and more tens.

Second back story:

I made a bracket to relocate my rear turn signals. I want to make a tech drawing for anyone on this site who might find it useful. It’s in millimetres. I thought, that’s ok. I’ll do an imperial version too ... but you guys don’t have “fractions of Roman thumbs” to match my measurements. So, I either convert to inches, then apply metric increments – or I look up some old-school chart to find the nearest fraction – which will be incorrect.

Unlike my country, one of your biggest advancements was your break from the British Empire. But you know what ... even the Empire has moved on from Roman thumbs!

Come on guys, help me out.
Tell me ONE good thing about imperial measurements.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: A polemic (and a plea) - metric v imperial
Reply #1 - 07/19/17 at 02:25:39

You need imperial things to service antique/vintage American cars and bikes. UNC is the same as Whitworth, except for the half inch bolt threads, so a lot of old Pom stuff is covered. UNF is fine for fine threads. At least the Yanks don't have to deal with BSF and BA, which were designed by the British to upset people. Americans, keep your threads as they are.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/19/17 at 04:57:02

There was a big push to convert the US to the metric system in the late 70's - in my college engineering classes we had to learn to solve problems in both systems.  Highway signs started listing the miles and kilometers, car speedometer had both mph and kph shown.

For some reason that has all disappeared, and I don't believe there is any plans on continuing the changeover.  About the only metric stuff I see anymore is on the containers for liquids...soda bottles, soap, etc.

If you want your lathe experience to be easier...buy a set of calipers that matches the lathe (and a calculator to convert your metric to decimal inches).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 07/19/17 at 05:05:29

I have no issue using either metric or our standard foot/inch system when working on a bike or car or whatever, but for just the run of the mill daily stuff it is the US Standard that I grew up with.  Keep in mind that the "Baby Boomer" generation in the US  is still dominant and we grew up with feet, inches, pounds & ounces, so that is what we use unless absolutely necessary.  It works for us.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #4 - 07/19/17 at 05:39:14

"The French originated the meter in the 1790s as one/ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the north pole along a meridian through Paris. It is realistically represented by the distance between two marks on an iron bar kept in Paris."

Right on - let's go with a French whimsy ... so much better than a thumb  Tongue

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 07/19/17 at 05:42:12

I've worked in medicine for over 30 years and we have always used metric measurements.  My son graduated form a chemical biological engineering program a few years back and he can only think in metric.
But, it's a really big country with a lot of people.  Change isn't easy for some.  Particularly if it isn't impacting them directly ore frequently.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/19/17 at 05:52:07

Island Road has stumbled across one of the reasons that makes it difficult to change over from inches to metric......there are hundreds of thousands of machining tools that are using inches all over the US, and a lot of this equipment has many, many years of functional life remaining.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/19/17 at 06:47:40

I was doing body and mechanic work in the seventies and eighties. It took a keen eye and caused frustration, trying to decide, is that a 1/2", or twelve mm? Manufacturers used a mix of metric and inch , and boy duzzat sukk.

British Thermal Unit (BTU) is the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree F.

Seems odd to me.. BriTish thermal unit,
A Pound of water, nawt a kilogram, raised one degree Fahrenheit.

I don't care what system gets used. I can convert mentally km to miles, pounds to kilo, and I can find the right wrench.. but mixing fasteners on a car is just Dummernshitt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 07/19/17 at 07:01:30

As a wrench I find the metric system too easy,even boring. Not much there to to keep you sharp at math & conversions. Now being forced to know both and their conversions and needing to use both in my job keeps my old brain active.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 07/19/17 at 07:59:33

Yeah, I like tools but having both makes me have two sets of everything (sockets, measuring devices, etc.). I like tools, but dangit my tool chest is getting cramped.

Screw it...I have recently incorporated a new town and we're going to have our own measurement system called stewmeters.

IMG_20170715_140321.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/19/17 at 08:09:33

stewmills wrote on 07/19/17 at 07:59:33:
Screw it...I have recently incorporated a new town and we're going to have our own measurement system called stewmeters.

I am almost afraid to ask what the "reference standard" is based on.  Seems the thumb, forearm, foot, outstretched arms and hand have already been used.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/19/17 at 08:14:29

Awe come on... you really want to get rid of a system with units like slugs and snails?!?

And they charge you more for liters... the hell with that!

So what a couple of space ships crashed into the backside of mars.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 07/19/17 at 08:28:19

Dave wrote on 07/19/17 at 08:09:33:
stewmills wrote on 07/19/17 at 07:59:33:
-----------

I am almost afraid to ask what the "reference standard" is based on.  Seems the thumb, forearm, foot, outstretched arms and hand have already been used.
-----------------------

Probably something very very small.   Huh  

But they say size doesn't matter...

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 07/19/17 at 09:20:54

So, Imperial is good for keeping the mind active, working on old stuff, and using old machines?! ... what was I complaining about? Grin

The thing is, by hanging around this forum I've started to think in Imperail automatically. I find myself doing the mental calculations at the hardware store - "One inch is about 25 mm, 1/4 of 25 is about 6 something, 1/4 = 6-7 mm", "5/16 is a bit more than 1/4 .... " Shocked

It's like learning a new language by living in a different country. You start to interact with people, exchanging social niceties, even though you don't know what you're actually saying.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #14 - 07/19/17 at 09:30:47

Australia changed to metric in the late 60's, just before my time. So I grew up hearing inches and feet while learning metric. When I played football as a  kid, I remember the coach setting us up for a drill. He said "You're gonna run down there for about twenty yards, then turn around ...." I had NO idea how far I was supposed to run! I just ran to where I thought he was pointing.

Buying timber is fun. We still use the term 4 x 2. I assume it's 4" x 2". Which is about 100 mm x 50 mm. But (of course) that's the rough cut size. After it's dressed it's nearer to 90 mm x 45 mm.

I have to admit, there is something more "colorful" about using Imperial. I feel like I'm being initiated into a club. And it's satisfying being able to talk the talk with some old biker or machinist who is giving me advice.

You don't get that with metric - once you know the one rule (divide by ten) you're good to go.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 21:41:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › A polemic (and a plea) - metric v imperial

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.