Getting older (Read 101 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Getting older
07/25/17 at 21:45:53

Had a 165 mile ride today, plenty of twisties, hills and back roads, weather was good, but my butt is feeling it, had to stop for fuel at about 130 miles put in about 2.7 US gals or 10.3 litres.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Getting older
Reply #1 - 07/25/17 at 22:24:50

Smaller tank ain't such a curse when you get older...

Somewhere between 80 and 100 miles,.. I can no longer distinguish where my butt ends and the seat begins....
That's when I need fuel... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 07/26/17 at 07:03:32

I used to own a 1971 BSA Goldstar 500 after 60 miles or so your butt would be so numb you didn't dare fart cause you might get a surprise in your draws. It had a springer single seat on it ! Huh

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #3 - 07/26/17 at 07:54:57

Yeah.  I get numb hands before butt.  so I try to refill at 100 or so just for a break.  not sure it's age though.  just the 'vibes'... be well.

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/26/17 at 09:45:24

I'm with you JC, every 80-100 miles my backside needs a rest. Yes, it would be nice not to have to worry about running out of gas, but if the gas stations are plentiful then a small gas tank works fine for me.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 07/26/17 at 10:10:39

Oh that BSA would have you numb to your elbows in 15 miles, makes a Savage seem like riding a Singer sewing machine !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/26/17 at 12:03:46

I guess I'm glad I don't ride a BSA. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 07/26/17 at 13:48:36

springman wrote on 07/26/17 at 12:03:46:
I guess I'm glad I don't ride a BSA. Grin

Oh but they were SOOO much fun to ride; if they were set up correctly.
My "56 was a speed demon.  Top speed was 110mph but it was a heck of ride getting there.
Yes, the drag bars vibrated like crazy.  At speed you could not feel the grip at all.  That is why I swapped a wide flat track type on it , made a big difference.
I would give most anything if I could have that bike again.  Yep.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #8 - 07/27/17 at 03:27:09

I've been fiddling a lot with the ergonomics on my S40. I have a very non-average body shape (almost nothing fits me off-the-rack).

I've noticed that handlebar height/width, body tilt, and leg position make a huge difference - even a few millimeters. I'm a relative newbie so maybe this is old news, but I reckon it's really worth spending the time to get those things personalised. My tailbone used to ache really badly after about 70kms. Now I could ride all day.

I wanted a solo seat, for the look, but I reckon being able to shuffle around on the seat is key - at least, it is for me. I'm trying to figure out a design that looks the part but still lets me move around. I've been putting it off but I'm gonna have to move that darn rectifier.

If I ever win the lotto, my dream is tailor-made shoes and clothes!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/27/17 at 05:01:39

IslandRoad wrote on 07/27/17 at 03:27:09:
I've been fiddling a lot with the ergonomics on my S40. I have a very non-average body shape (almost nothing fits me off-the-rack).

I've noticed that handlebar height/width, body tilt, and leg position make a huge difference - even a few millimeters. I'm a relative newbie so maybe this is old news, but I reckon it's really worth spending the time to get those things personalised. My tailbone used to ache really badly after about 70kms. Now I could ride all day.

I wanted a solo seat, for the look, but I reckon being able to shuffle around on the seat is key - at least, it is for me. I'm trying to figure out a design that looks the part but still lets me move around. I've been putting it off but I'm gonna have to move that darn rectifier.

If I ever win the lotto, my dream is tailor-made shoes and clothes!

I am a true believer in that concept.  Just waiting for the call from the lotto folks.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:26:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Getting older

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.