ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Do you?
Reply #15 - 04/07/17 at 10:12:16

Serowbot wrote on 04/07/17 at 09:08:35:
God is the bully,.. he says, do what I say or I will hurt you...
I say nothing of the kind...

Nothing like the parable of the sun and the north wind, but still sad.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 04/07/17 at 10:17:23

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #17 - 04/07/17 at 10:23:45

If you want more qualifying, of/to my answer/reply, you might look up Proverbs 1.
Much of the Bible is very abstract to me, some poetic, and most of it escapes my ability to grasp the context when reading.
Solomon I can relate to, very pragmatic as he himself experienced of what what he shared....
I find myself migrating toward folk that share a commonality with, for it is easier for me to relate, and hopefully learn things that help me to live and think in better terms.

The fear is not of wrath, no, but of the understanding of what my life would be like with a God void in my life.
It would be suffocating in nature, as if our planet held no oxygen.

This is why when Bot replied it's sad, for folks to believe, be it anything, if it brings a better life to those who put their wherewithal into it.

Please continue  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/07/17 at 10:32:35

raydawg wrote on 04/07/17 at 10:23:45:
If you want more qualifying, of/to my answer/reply, you might look up Proverbs 1.
Much of the Bible is very abstract to me, some poetic, and most of it escapes my ability to grasp the context when reading.
Solomon I can relate to, very pragmatic as he himself experienced of what what he shared....
I find myself migrating toward folk that share a commonality with, for it is easier for me to relate, and hopefully learn things that help me to live and think in better terms.

The fear is not of wrath, no, but of the understanding of what my life would be like with a God void in my life.
It would be suffocating in nature, as if our planet held no oxygen.

This is why when Bot replied it's sad, for folks to believe, be it anything, if it brings a better life to those who put their wherewithal into it.

Please continue  Grin

Who wrote the Bible?  Who translated the Bible?  Are all other religious writings null and void that are not the Bible?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 04/07/17 at 10:34:39

You didn't ask about belief in God,... you asked if we feared him.
Atheists don't fear myths...  we can respect some of the lessons the teach, but not out of fear.

What moral value is, being a good person only because you fear punishment ?

Be good or Santa won't bring you presents?..
Blackmail...
Being good should be reward in itself.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #20 - 04/07/17 at 10:42:42

God is love
I fear not

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #21 - 04/07/17 at 10:48:14

Serowbot wrote on 04/07/17 at 10:34:39:

You didn't ask about belief in God,... you asked if we feared him.
Atheists don't fear myths...  we can respect some of the lessons the teach, but not out of fear.

What moral value is, being a good person only because you fear punishment ?

Be good or Santa won't bring you presents?..
Blackmail...
Being good should be reward in itself.

I fear punishment...... where did I say that?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #22 - 04/07/17 at 10:49:32

thumperclone wrote on 04/07/17 at 10:42:42:
God is love
I fear not

Yes, and love SHOULD be our witness....
But,  Embarrassed

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/07/17 at 10:55:56

Who wrote the Bible?  Does it negate all other religions?   Bueller?...... Bueller?......

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/07/17 at 11:42:15

T, I understand all your questions, I was actually right where you are at  one time in my life many years ago. You have asked a LOT of questions, way too many to answer in one email. If you wanted to try and answer one at a time I would be happy to participate. I assure you this, there are answers but as is everything in life you have to search for the truth.

You are correct that there is a difference between respect and fear.....the word fear is usually used because in scripture there are verses that use that word when translated into English such as Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy one is understanding.

In this context fear is a place of reverence but not lacking in the common state of being afraid.

I promise you, none of us live up to the standard of being HOLY and we would be quite neglectful not to be concerned of the consequences of that.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/07/17 at 11:51:47

MShipley wrote on 04/07/17 at 11:42:15:
T, I understand all your questions, I was actually right where you are at  one time in my life many years ago. You have asked a LOT of questions, way too many to answer in one email. If you wanted to try and answer one at a time I would be happy to participate. I assure you this, there are answers but as is everything in life you have to search for the truth.

You are correct that there is a difference between respect and fear.....the word fear is usually used because in scripture there are verses that use that word when translated into English such as Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy one is understanding.

In this context fear is a place of reverence but not lacking in the common state of being afraid.

I promise you, none of us live up to the standard of being HOLY and we would be quite neglectful not to be concerned of the consequences of that.

Then take one question - who wrote the Bible?

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/07/17 at 12:18:24

The Holy Bible is not A book. It is a compilation of 66 writings by 40 authors over a period of a couple thousand years. There is poetry, history, personal letters, and gospels that make up the Holy Scriptures or Bible. The Old Testament (which is pre-Jesus) has the 5 books of the Plentitudes or Jewish law along with other history. The New Testament of course is the coming of Jesus and the start of the Christian Church.

As far as other religions? Well of course I am going to say that all others are wrong. Not that they are not beneficial to life and wisdom but incorrect in stance they take to Salvation and Heaven.

Christianity is actually a very unique faith. ALL religions of the world require "works" things humans must accomplish or do in order to get to Heaven. ONLY in the Christian faith did God who loved his creation act to make a way for Humans to be reconciled to Himself despite the wickedness' of Humans. It is not what you did, but what God did.

Now, before you go off on Christians or the faith for this stance let me say there can only be ONE TRUTH. If the Buddhist are right then the Christians are wrong but if the Christians are right then the Buddhist are wrong. God gave you free will to make the choice you want.

One of the dumbest things we have in our Post Modern, Relative culture is the belief that truth is Relative to each human being. Just think about that for a couple days. What is the first Sin in the bible? When Adam and Eve ate of the tree of the Knowledge of good and evil. Why did they eat it. So they could be like God........Thousands of years later that is still exactly what we are doing. Establishing our own truth so that we are our own God.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #27 - 04/07/17 at 12:20:44

The Bible was written by man, would be the short answer....
Now, if you want to say man is fallible, then extend it to everyone and everything, yes?
Has any other "theory" been scrutinized as much?
Do you arbitrarily discount eye witness, and those who suffered greatly for their testimony through the history of time?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 04/07/17 at 13:29:50

MShipley wrote on 04/07/17 at 12:18:24:
The Holy Bible is not A book. It is a compilation of 66 writings by 40 authors over a period of a couple thousand years. There is poetry, history, personal letters, and gospels that make up the Holy Scriptures or Bible. The Old Testament (which is pre-Jesus) has the 5 books of the Plentitudes or Jewish law along with other history. The New Testament of course is the coming of Jesus and the start of the Christian Church.

As far as other religions? Well of course I am going to say that all others are wrong. Not that they are not beneficial to life and wisdom but incorrect in stance they take to Salvation and Heaven.

Christianity is actually a very unique faith. ALL religions of the world require "works" things humans must accomplish or do in order to get to Heaven. ONLY in the Christian faith did God who loved his creation act to make a way for Humans to be reconciled to Himself despite the wickedness' of Humans. It is not what you did, but what God did.

Now, before you go off on Christians or the faith for this stance let me say there can only be ONE TRUTH. If the Buddhist are right then the Christians are wrong but if the Christians are right then the Buddhist are wrong. God gave you free will to make the choice you want.

One of the dumbest things we have in our Post Modern, Relative culture is the belief that truth is Relative to each human being. Just think about that for a couple days. What is the first Sin in the bible? When Adam and Eve ate of the tree of the Knowledge of good and evil. Why did they eat it. So they could be like God........Thousands of years later that is still exactly what we are doing. Establishing our own truth so that we are our own God.

No.  You cannot say that.  If there is God - then there is God.  There is no "right one" or "wrong one".  If that were the case, then God made a mistake... sorry - that's not God.

Don't get me wrong - I'm agnostic and I have no qualms with anyone's belief as long as it doesn't hurt innocent people intentionally.  But to say that one way is the right way - you're fooling yourself and you do a disservice to others.  That's how we get to Muslim bans, bigotry, holy wars, extremism, etc.

The problem I have is with religion, not faith.  Yes, the Bible is more than just a book - but it was indeed written by man.  It's been translated over the millennia to fit narratives.  At its core, it's flawed - not by its intent, but by Man.

We will all meet our end with no exceptions.  I think it's safe to say we all fear it to some degree - at least I do.  But to solely rely on a book of scriptures to insure a "safe passage" is short sighted.  There are more things in the world to consider than that.  There are intangibles that can't be read about and have to be experienced.  In the end, all we leave behind that lasts are memories of who we were and how we treated others.  There are many atheists I've known that have passed on that I hold much more dear than some Christians.  That just is what it is....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 04/07/17 at 13:29:51

Interesting...
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-beast/201101/why-americans-are...

Why is America the outlier in it's religiosity?...
Healthcare... or lack of it actually...
So I suppose it is fear based,... just not how you might think.Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:30:52

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Do you?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.