Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How bad is my petcock problem? (Read 414 times)
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: How bad is my petcock problem?
Reply #30 - 01/19/17 at 07:01:07

stewmills wrote on 01/17/17 at 06:53:15:
After you resolve the petcock issue, if you still have the surging you need to consider adjusting the white spacer a bit more. I have a similar set-up and I had that ever so slight surging at 1/8 throttle and after I took another hit at the spacer it seems to have resolved my surging.

'Surging at 1/8 throttle' sounds familiar to me.  My Fuel Injected bike had that condition and I ended up spending lotsa hundred dollar bills to cure it!  These bikes are  starving for fuel while cruising, which is where most of your riding is done.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 01/19/17 at 08:07:14

1/8th throttle? Only a few seconds, occasionally, and I'm off to another section of the bandwidth.
If I was twenty years younger I just might be fiddling with it,, and hunting for every clue that the jetting is not Perfect..
Bike runs good, and at typical cruise speeds, Twenty, school zone, thirty and forty and fifty, round town, the loop, and smooth on the road,I avoid the 75 MPH, i20.. cuz that's just almost wide open.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #32 - 01/22/17 at 12:43:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/19/17 at 08:07:14:
1/8th throttle? Only a few seconds, occasionally, and I'm off to another section of the bandwidth.
If I was twenty years younger I just might be fiddling with it,, and hunting for every clue that the jetting is not Perfect..
Bike runs good, and at typical cruise speeds, Twenty, school zone, thirty and forty and fifty, round town, the loop, and smooth on the road,I avoid the 75 MPH, i20.. cuz that's just almost wide open.

Usually, the low speed adj. screw affects about 1/4 of throttle, along with an ever-increasing influence of the jet needle, up to about 1/2 to 5/8 throttle, and then needle jet up to main jet which affects wide open.

One problem with "judging" the jetting problem, is that these C/V carbs don't have an exact equivalence between the physical throttle position, and the actual slide position, because the latter is changed by the vacuum, not actual physical throttle.  Other things that could affect position would be air leaks (which also affect mixture) and vacuum of the engine itself - which is affected by engine wear (rings and compression) and other factors like blockage of intake system and even exhaust expelling.  

Air flow through the throttle plate and the subsequent amount of vacuum created above the slide and diaphragm is what affects mostly the position of slide.  

Having said all that, your thoughts are correct, in that generally low throttle position is almost the same as saying low slide position.  To me, there should be NO surging due to lean mixtures anywhere in the throttle range.  Re-jetting is the cure, hopefully.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #33 - 01/22/17 at 13:31:18

I'm not ever gonna Be one of those people who Know what to do with the carb based on what is happening. You get it. That's cool. I'm willing to accept less than perfect because it's too much hassle for me.
As to
Air leaks,,
I Know where my air is leaking.
Everyone around me knows where the air is leaking.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #34 - 02/08/17 at 04:46:39

Well, my Raptor petcock finally arrived and I got it installed a few days ago. It takes about 10 mins to fit (after you drain the tank). It's a great mod! The bike no longer smells like gas and I was finally able to properly troubleshoot my carb tuning due to eliminating the leak in the vac line.

I can now add some data to the forum due to my not being used to turning the manual fuel switch on before heading off for a ride.

So here is my contribution to the knowledge base:

You can get about one hundred metres down the road on the fuel that is sitting in the float bowl  Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #35 - 02/08/17 at 08:43:13

IslandRoad wrote on 02/08/17 at 04:46:39:
You can get about one hundred metres down the road on the fuel that is sitting in the float bowl  Cool

Can confirm. I switched my petcock last week, and I've had a couple of "I just filled up with gas, so why did my bike stop?" moments. Also, firing it up, running back into the house to get something, and coming back to a bike that's not running any more...

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #36 - 02/08/17 at 08:48:56

Yeah, and the same petcock position that put the stock petcock on reserve is Off on the new one. Good for about a block at seventy. Ask how I know...
Actually, I think it's Prime on the OEM. I always just pulled up and back,it's easier. It's not the answer with a Raptor.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #37 - 02/08/17 at 10:45:49

[putting flame suit on...]

Why do we have three pages on a topic that is well documented and covered? How bad is your petcock problem...the same as everyone else's. Typical symptoms, same solution.

I'm not picking on ya, it's just so well documented that I don't think we need a specific thread on your particular failed valve.

[keeping flame suit on....]

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #38 - 02/08/17 at 12:28:23

You should have started a new thread in the cafe to raise your complaint about the way people are using the forum, instead of taking this thread off topic.

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/08/17 at 10:45:49:
[putting flame suit on...]

Why do we have three pages on a topic that is well documented and covered? How bad is your petcock problem...the same as everyone else's. Typical symptoms, same solution.

I'm not picking on ya, it's just so well documented that I don't think we need a specific thread on your particular failed valve.

[keeping flame suit on....]

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 08:45:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How bad is my petcock problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.