Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How bad is my petcock problem? (Read 414 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
How bad is my petcock problem?
01/14/17 at 21:19:41

Hey guys,

I hope someone can lend me a bit of advice/guidance.

The background:

The bike is a 2014, two previous owners, as far as I can tell it's stock. I bought it with 1500 kms on it and have added about 2000 kms in about 3 months. I added a Dyna muffler and have been experimenting with carb jets. Currently at 52.5/152.5 and spacer at 50%. Runs really well with a little after-firing, and a very slight bit of surging at 1/8 throttle in lower gears.

The problem:

In the last week or so I've noticed the smell of petrol when I stop the bike, and sometimes it wafts up while I'm riding.

What I've checked:

I did some research on here and discovered it might be the petcock or a stuck float in the carb. I've had the bottom of the carb off a few times in the last few weeks and the float moves freely. The carb looks clean. So, the petcock is the next point of focus.  I started trouble shooting. This is what I've found.

1. The vac tube smells like petrol, and when I disconnect it from the carb, the nipple is a little bit wet with fuel. I pulled the tube off and inspected it and it seems fine.

2. The air filter is dry, but the bottom part of it smells slightly of petrol.

3. I took the oil cap off the engine and dipped my finger in there - slight smell of petrol. The oil level has not gone up on the little window so I don't think it's a lot, but enough to create an odour. I can still distinguish the smell of oil (if that makes sense).

What I think needs done:

Based on my research here, I need to change the oil and the oil filter, and replace the petcock with a 660 raptor petcock.

My questions are:

Is my solution a sufficient plan of action?
Is there something else I need to check?
Is there anything else I don't know that I don't know?

Would really appreciate any advice guys Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: How bad is my petcock problem?
Reply #1 - 01/14/17 at 22:33:44

Get the petcock as soon as you can and make sure it is a genuine Yamaha Raptor and not Chinese knockoff from eBay.

If the oil level hasn't increased it is probably still safe to run. Make sure that the fuel tank cap vent is open by blowing some air through the key hole.

I smell fuel occasionally and my bike is in tip top condition, I think it is just fumes venting through the petrol cap.

One of the more experienced guys will pipe in with further instruction on whether an oil & oil filter change is necessary.

Good luck.

Kenny G

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 01/14/17 at 23:04:02

Thanks Kenny, that alleviates my concerns a bit. I was hoping it's a little problem, not a big one. I'm looking up raptor petcocks right now to see if I can source one locally. Otherwise, it's ebay. I'll make sure it's genuine OEM - I got the part number from another thread.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #3 - 01/15/17 at 06:55:45

IslandRoad wrote on 01/14/17 at 23:04:02:
Thanks Kenny, that alleviates my concerns a bit. I was hoping it's a little problem, not a big one. I'm looking up raptor petcocks right now to see if I can source one locally. Otherwise, it's ebay. I'll make sure it's genuine OEM - I got the part number from another thread.

I got mine from my local Suzuki/Yamaha dealer just to be sure of its authenticity.  Took me about 20 min. to install! I purchased the air hose cap plug from local AutoZone and used a little RTV gasket material on it when I pushed it on the carb tube.

I just prefer the standard ON/OFF/RES type of petcock.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
pam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ft. Mitchell, KY
Reply #4 - 01/15/17 at 09:26:29

My bike is a 2015 model...Dave from the forum here came and did mine...changed the petcock...what a difference and have not had a bit of trouble since...of course i still have back firing... but nothing else..again, yes make sure you get the genuine part...comes in a white box...not knock off on Ebay oe else where ...good luck

IP Logged
pam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ft. Mitchell, KY
Reply #5 - 01/15/17 at 09:38:10

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #6 - 01/15/17 at 10:06:01

Thanks for the tips guys ☺

I've found a couple of suppliers for the genuine part, online last night.  I'm going to call around some local suppliers this morning to see if I can get one locally, and a bit sooner.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #7 - 01/15/17 at 10:21:06

I'd love to hear from other experienced members, as Dave said, about whether or not there is anything else I need to check, apart from the petcock - particularly due to the smell of petrol in the oil.

Should I leave the bike parked until I get the new petcock?
Is an oil and filter change essential at this point?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 01/15/17 at 12:41:09

I think I would change the oil at least. Then you will be sure there is no gas in there. A couple of litres of  oil is pretty good insurance.

Then give it a good long run to boil off any remaining petrol.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #9 - 01/15/17 at 12:50:37

pam wrote on 01/15/17 at 09:26:29:
My bike is a 2015 model...Dave from the forum here came and did mine...changed the petcock..

Now I'm really mad!! Angry

Dave didn't come to my home and fix mine!

Perhaps you are a little better looking than I am, but I don't think it would be possible!! Wink Grin

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #10 - 01/15/17 at 12:52:13

IslandRoad wrote on 01/15/17 at 10:06:01:

I've found a couple of suppliers for the genuine part, online last night.  I'm going to call around some local suppliers this morning to see if I can get one locally, and a bit sooner.

Mine was only a couple of bucks higher locally!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 01/15/17 at 12:59:03

Being gas isn't a good  lube I'd change the oil and filter after changing the petcock,and seeing that you've been in the bottom of the carb a few times,I'd go in again just to make sure your float level is correct .

« Last Edit: 01/15/17 at 15:33:25 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 01/15/17 at 14:20:52

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/15/17 at 12:50:37:
Now I'm really mad!! Angry

Dave didn't come to my home and fix mine!

She only lives a few miles from me.....and it was a great chance to take a ride on my bike!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 01/15/17 at 17:18:18

I ordered one locally today. The shop is near where I'll be working on Thursday ☺ ... yep, a few bucks more, but all good.

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/15/17 at 12:52:13:
IslandRoad wrote on 01/15/17 at 10:06:01:

Mine was only a couple of bucks higher locally!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 01/17/17 at 06:53:15

After you resolve the petcock issue, if you still have the surging you need to consider adjusting the white spacer a bit more. I have a similar set-up and I had that ever so slight surging at 1/8 throttle and after I took another hit at the spacer it seems to have resolved my surging.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 17:40:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How bad is my petcock problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.