Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Broken idle screw o-ring? (Read 251 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Broken idle screw o-ring?
07/26/16 at 21:12:33

I'm wondering exactly what problems can arise from a broken idle screw o-ring.

The specific application is for a Keihin carb, but I'd guess they all work roughly the same.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Re: Broken idle screw o-ring?
Reply #1 - 07/26/16 at 22:31:35

What problems are you  having and when? It may affect idle stability and maybe smooth acceleration. Depends on if it actually is causing a vacuum leak or not. Order part number 13295-29900 from tmsparts.com

Should be the same part for all years but you to can look it up. I chose a year 2000.  Huh

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 07/27/16 at 06:58:53

hard/tempermental starting, unexpected stalling. Sometimes it will start on it's own. Sometimes it absolutely  refuses to start without a boost. Battery isn't the best, but that's beside the point. The main circuit has a fault. After a certain amount of throttle, it just suddenly chokes down. I'm not sure whether it's still burning gas or trying to stall completely, but after a certain amount of throttle, a significant amount of power just cuts out suddenly. Hard to say it's the main only missing though, as this problem occurs while there's still quite a bit of throttle left-- half or more.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/27/16 at 08:20:53

well, on the savage the tiny o-ring serves to maintain the adjustment of the idlemixture screw.

WWW   IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #4 - 07/27/16 at 09:45:44

Did it run OK when the oring wasn't broken? If it's causing a vacuum leak at the mixture screw then it will have thoses problems you state. Maybe you need to pull the carb and soak it in some Berryman overnight then blow out all the passages/jets. While you are in there rejet it. Ask Lancer about a rejet kit.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 07/27/16 at 10:17:41

It's not a Savage, but this forum community is so awesome. I've been asking the Shadow people, but it seems like the people here are more willing to talk. I figure that most carbs work roughly the same. I thought I started this thread in RSD because it was a simple technical question. Maybe someone moved this thread to the Cafe, though there's no sign of it. That's fine. Most of my threads too crazy for the RSD anyway. Being a non-Savage application, it makes sense. Here's the thread http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/489938-missing-carb-....

The biggest problems are hard starting, unexpected stalling, and cutout under heavy throttle. Perhaps there are two different problems, one affecting the idle circuit and another the heavy midrange/full throttle circuit?

I've got some carb dip. Unfortunately it isn't Berryman's Chem Dip (if I'm thinking of the right stuff). It's Napa brand dip. It's that nasty, evil stuff that destroys plastic and eats babies for breakfast. Cheesy  Grin

I'm having to go OCD on removing every last bit of non-metallic stuff in there, hence my discovery of the broken o-ring.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #6 - 07/27/16 at 10:28:47

That's the stuff. Real skunk juice!  Grin

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 07/28/16 at 14:35:28

Apparently you are doing the same thing on that forum that you do on this one.
You do something "then" ask if it was the right thing.

There is a guy telling you what to do, where to start and you are stuck on disassembling the carbs YET again.

Run it with no "O" rings? are you serious? You have an air leak on your air filter intake?  you mentioned it was in a FIRE?  

You obviously leave out important facts while trying to jerry rig something to make it work, and not take the advice of others.

Dude, stop listening to your dad and post a total rundown of what is happening, then WAIT a couple days to see who replies, and their suggestions, THEN FOLLOW those suggestions and don't go off on a tangent that YOU think MIGHT be right.

There, that is my suggestion for your problem....post the total rundown and history of your problem, and then wait for suggestions... then follow the suggestions.

P.S.  A fire... you didn't mention the bike had caught fire? or was the air filter laying somewhere that it caught fire?

I hope my post doesn't put you off... but I have been reading multiple posts by you and decided someone needed to point out your obvious faults and I was going to have to be THAT guy. (others have said as much but you DON'T listen).

If you keep posting in the same style, soon there will be no one to answer your questions..... patience is a virtue.... fix it, don't frag it up!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #8 - 07/28/16 at 14:52:18

That's telling him OLD. Like my dad used to say "Get to the point G. D." Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/28/16 at 16:41:28

Dude, stop listening to your dad .

Or, listen to him from beginning to end.

Did he Tell you to jam that EZOut in the Savage head or did he say Drill it till you can tap it?
You were within a sixteenth. That's a 32nd wall, and If anything can Grip metal a sixteenth or thinner, it's Gonna Bend it.. Driving something Into a hole spreads the inner piecs Out, Tighter against the outer piece.

But yeah, pick one.
You ask for advice, get it, argue, do something else, it blows up in your face, you ask for advice on how to fix what you were Told not to do.

And wonder how people could be frustrated.

If your dad Told you to drill until you could tap, and, from the looks of the head, best I can see, he frikken NAILED drilling that thing.. Looks to me like a bit larger and you would have been ready to tap.

If your excuse is not having the next size up, please don't type it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #10 - 07/28/16 at 19:48:53

JOG you didn't read all the threads! You are BARKING at the wrong man! Woof woof bark bark   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 07/28/16 at 19:55:20

Dad's the one that caught it on fire.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 07/28/16 at 19:59:33

Actually, I just bought the o-rings and washers, but, honestly, I'm tempted to use the carb dip and run it without orings just to see what it does.

Absolutely nuts, right?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #13 - 07/28/16 at 20:16:42

old_rider wrote on 07/28/16 at 14:35:28:
Apparently you are doing the same thing on that forum that you do on this one.
You do something "then" ask if it was the right thing.

There is a guy telling you what to do, where to start and you are stuck on disassembling the carbs YET again.

Run it with no "O" rings? are you serious? You have an air leak on your air filter intake?  you mentioned it was in a FIRE?  

You obviously leave out important facts while trying to jerry rig something to make it work, and not take the advice of others.

Dude, stop listening to your dad and post a total rundown of what is happening, then WAIT a couple days to see who replies, and their suggestions, THEN FOLLOW those suggestions and don't go off on a tangent that YOU think MIGHT be right.

There, that is my suggestion for your problem....post the total rundown and history of your problem, and then wait for suggestions... then follow the suggestions.

P.S.  A fire... you didn't mention the bike had caught fire? or was the air filter laying somewhere that it caught fire?

I hope my post doesn't put you off... but I have been reading multiple posts by you and decided someone needed to point out your obvious faults and I was going to have to be THAT guy. (others have said as much but you DON'T listen).

If you keep posting in the same style, soon there will be no one to answer your questions..... patience is a virtue.... fix it, don't frag it up!

That's okay. Talking about the fire was kinda entertaining. Grin It's complicated. A whole heck of a lot to write about.

Do you do what everyone tells you, or do you make up your own mind?

As the Honda forum guy says, "[Y]ou have a lot of trial and error ahead of you."
Solving this problems may be incremental as I sort out all those little gremlins.

I really asked a rather simple question. I was trying to gather input on what kind of issues could arise from a mixture o-ring issue and whether my symptoms could point to that, at least the former. Didn't have to be a Shadow or a Savage. Didn't have to talk about everything the bike has wrong with it. Didn't have to go on some tangent about how I'm a such a dumb rockhead who won't listen (no offense, you're not the only one).

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 07/28/16 at 20:26:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/28/16 at 16:41:28:
Dude, stop listening to your dad .

Or, listen to him from beginning to end.

Did he Tell you to jam that EZOut in the Savage head or did he say Drill it till you can tap it?
You were within a sixteenth. That's a 32nd wall, and If anything can Grip metal a sixteenth or thinner, it's Gonna Bend it.. Driving something Into a hole spreads the inner piecs Out, Tighter against the outer piece.

But yeah, pick one.
You ask for advice, get it, argue, do something else, it blows up in your face, you ask for advice on how to fix what you were Told not to do.

And wonder how people could be frustrated.

If your dad Told you to drill until you could tap, and, from the looks of the head, best I can see, he frikken NAILED drilling that thing.. Looks to me like a bit larger and you would have been ready to tap.

If your excuse is not having the next size up, please don't type it.

Yeah, Justin, Give Dad all the good credit and make me look bad? Roll Eyes He wasn't the only one with the drill in his hands. He was the one who tried to use a torch, a large tip to make it worse, to attempt to cut a small steel bolt out of an aluminum head. He hoped that his experience cutting 1/2 inch bolts out of aluminum panel boards in the mines would carry him through this problem. Problem is, the bolt is too small, and the torch head too big, assuming any torch head would do it. I had little faith that he would succeed, and he proved me correct. He lately attempted again to drill on that bolt some more, and I jumped onto him. I am afraid he won't do a good job, and I feel more inclined to do it on a drill press. At any rate, the idea is-- in the words of Frank Sinatra-- that "I did it my way." I'll need the carbide bits too. It's a $400 head. I don't want to lose it.

Besides that, today I talked to a local bike shop owner who said they might be able to do it for $75 if I bring him the head.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 14:04:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Broken idle screw o-ring?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.