Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Carburetor Help... (Read 342 times)
hockmanjosh
YaBB Newbies

Park City, UT
Carburetor Help...
07/25/16 at 16:50:10

2003 Savage. 6,500ft. elevation. HD Dyna exhaust, K&N cone filter, 52.5 pilot jet, 147.5 main jet. Trying to eliminate backfiring.

I changed the 145 main jet to the 147.5, installed, tuned idle screw. Still got the backfire.

I bought the 150 main jet, installed, tuned idle screw. Now it dies when I give it throttle. Help please....

When installing the 150 main jet, it never seems to fully tighten in, just keeps spinning. I also noticed that the jet can be pushed up into the carb, then it pushes itself back down, is it suppose to do this?

Thanks for any advise!!!

Josh Hockman
Park City, UT
2003 Suzuki Savage LS 650
*HD Dyna Muffler *Raptor 660 Petcock
*K&N Cone Filter
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Carburetor Help...
Reply #1 - 07/25/16 at 16:58:36

Josh,

IIRC there is a small brass washer that goes under the main jet.

Check the old jet that you removed and make sure it is not stuck fast.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/25/16 at 17:14:34

Kenny has it right....you have lost the washer.  The brass tube that holds the main jet is called the Needle Jet, and it has a notch that keeps it from rotating when fully inserted.  The washer under the main jet keeps the Needle jet from moving upward.

For your elevation, a 52.5 idle jet is likely too big.....and......you will never be able to jet your bike to eliminate backfiring.  You should jet your bike to run well.

Backfiring is caused when you close the throttle completely and the slide drops the needle completely down into the Needle jet....the fuel flow is closed off from everything except the idle circuit.  Making the Pilot Jet bigger can reduce some backfiring - but does that at the expense of fuel mileage and an engine that runs too rich.  A better way to cut down on the backfire is to use your throttle hand to eliminate the condition that causes the backfire.  Don't close the throttle completely as you shift gears, gently roll it off a little bit - but leave it open about 1/8th turn.  Same thing when you are decelerating....open the throttle just enough to reduce the noise - but not so much that the bike accelerates.  You can make the bike pretty civilized by just learning what to do with the throttle.....you have to be the "computer" and brains on this bike.....it is not fuel injected and a carb is very primitive in comparison.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/25/16 at 17:15:00

When installing the 150 main jet, it never seems to fully tighten in, just keeps spinning. I also noticed that the jet can be pushed up into the carb, then it pushes itself back down, is it suppose to do this?

I'm gonna start with a question.

When you removed the original jet, it was tight and didn't pop in and out, right?
You're sure of the answer, you just Really don't wanna hear it..
But, it's true. It's not supposed to be loose. There is a washer under the main jet. I don't know if leaving it out will allow the Jet to screw in, walk past the threads, spin, move in and out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/25/16 at 18:18:56

He never said anything about a jet needle spacer mod, and how many turns is his idle screw open? that idle jet sounds way to big for 6500 feet.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 07/26/16 at 10:55:31

Rather then try to jet the backfire away, just learn to love it...because unless you change the carb it's here to stay.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 07/26/16 at 13:52:15

I must lead a charmed life. My bike never backfires and only sometimes gives a little poof on shutdown, it doesn't do that if I give it few seconds to cool a bit.

All I did was adjust the idle and raise the needle .035" which is Mikuni's needle width. My elevation is 4000' and mostly warm. I do have the idle speed set fairly high to protect the cam but not over 1100 rpm, probably nearer 1000. Right now, in Summer, she starts without choke and is only a bit hesitant for the first half mile or so. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/26/16 at 16:32:49

Mine growled, snarled and rumbled on downshift. It was often Loud on shutdown. I just Hope the one I am going to be riding will act the same. I really don't Wanna rejet, but I will.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 07/26/16 at 16:34:16

Norm I'm not surprised, at 4000 and above the air is thin enough that the stock jets won't be making your bike run lean .the closer to sea level you are the more you're likely to need larger jets.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #9 - 07/26/16 at 22:40:44

Ahem... Higher elevation means less air and it runs richer. You need to downjet for high elevation especially at 6500 feet. I would downjet both pilot and main jet by 1 even 2 sizes at that elevation. But if you go below 3500 feet it will be to lean again and crack snapple pop kaboom!. Check with Lancer he probably has a high altitude jet set.  Huh

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 07/26/16 at 23:31:50

Savageman wrote on 07/26/16 at 22:40:44:
Ahem... Higher elevation means less air and it runs richer. You need to downjet for high elevation especially at 6500 feet. I would downjet both pilot and main jet by 1 even 2 sizes at that elevation. But if you go below 3500 feet it will be to lean again and crack snapple pop kaboom!. Check with Lancer he probably has a high altitude jet set.  Huh

Why are you selling your bike ?  Or is it a spare ?
If the jets in the JETSET are not adequate for you needs at altitude, then I can get other jets for that purpose.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 07/27/16 at 11:02:05

I had similar trouble with my carb. When I tried to install my main jet, I pushed the needle jet up into the carb and rotated it past its notch. I could never get it to catch threads, and was constantly dropping the washer and having to fish it out of little crevices. I ended up removing the whole carb in order to get the needle jet properly seated.

Did you try to install the main jet with the carb still on the bike? Did you put the washer back on?

That needle jet has a little notch, and the carb body a tiny dowel. If it's not seated, it will probably turn till the cows come home and the main will never tighten. Could be a lack of washer. Could be just turning. If the washer's there, try taking the intake hose off and holding the needle jet with something until you can get it to seat. I guess you've caught some threads.

You may have to remove the carb if you can't get a hold on it. Don't damage it.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 07/27/16 at 12:53:01

Batman,
I'm one of the lucky ones. The EPA adjusted my carb for me. 4000' is probably about optimum for a lean sea level bike. Wink

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 07/27/16 at 16:29:14

Savageman wrote on 07/26/16 at 22:40:44:

I've heard hearsay that the engine is jetted for around 5000' give or take. What do you guys around Denver run in the carb?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 07/27/16 at 17:19:52

SO....LET'S GET THIS GUY IN THE BALL PARK! A 52.5 IS WAY TO LARGE FOR 6500FT GO BACKTO STOCK47.5 ? HOW MANY TURNS OPEN ?NO ANSWER! 1/2 ,IDLE JET TO BIG! 2 1/2 TO SMALL......NEEDLE JET 3 #4 WASHERS (WHY? HARLEY MUFFLER )   MAIN JET ...STOCK 145  (WITH BRASS WASHER )  NEW SPARK PLUG ,DRIVE IT! PULL PLUG BLACK ,SMALLER JET ,WHITE LARGER JET ,LIGHT TAN ,YOU GOT IT!   AIR CLEANER ? NO INFO ! STOCK ,MAY MAKE IT RUN RICH,NOT A GOOD MATCH FOR HARLEY MUFFLER ,REPLACE WITH K&N SLIDE IN OR OLDFELLER HOME MADE,(IN THE TECH SECTION) ANY DROP IN JET SIZE SHOULD BE MADE ONE STEP AT A TIME HE'S AT6500 FT BUT A RUN DOWN THE MTN. CAN BRING HIM TO 4200 FT(32mi to Salt Lake City)

« Last Edit: 07/28/16 at 19:36:57 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 22:42:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Help...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.