Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
remove crankcase cover without taking out enigne? (Read 413 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: remove crankcase cover without taking out enig
Reply #15 - 07/18/16 at 14:41:55

Both of those posts are frikken hilarious..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Xenokilla

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/18/16 at 17:04:21

Right, sooooo a little clarification?

Picture of what cover i was talking about:

gasket i think it is: http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2002-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147696#s... part 11

we got the cover mostly off but stopped. we did take the long bolts out that held the pegs and the front of the engine on, but it looked like we'd need to take the kick stand and what not fully off to get the cover off. after putting it back together it leaks a bit less.

are we going in the right direction?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 07/18/16 at 17:22:09

Is that side cover damaged?
Did you get it apart far enough to see if the gasket was torn?
Did you manage to aply a thin film of sealer?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Xenokilla

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/18/16 at 17:53:09

Is that side cover damaged?

not visibility

Did you get it apart far enough to see if the gasket was torn?

no, we did not get the cover more then about half an inch off.

Did you manage to aply a thin film of sealer

no

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/18/16 at 20:01:16

there's magnets under the cover that make it a beotch to get off.
the kickstand is held on by 1 bolt inside the frame.
and you'll need to take off the pulley cover too.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 07/18/16 at 20:10:40

Well.....your a little late seeking our advice,you should have tried tighting the through bolts that hold the pegs first,then the rest of the bolts holding the cover. but now you've moved the cover and may have torn the gasket ,you/ll have to get it off now and replace it after cleaning the surfaces,you may have to remove all the motor mounting bolts ,exhaust ,dive belt ,speedo cable, clutch cable, so you can lean the motor over to have room to pull the cover,or maybe just remove the side stand,don't know haven't been there.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 07/18/16 at 20:26:34

I don't know about all that..
The clutch cover side has oil passages,but I don't know about this side. If it's safe, why not just get that 1/2" clearance and wipe a thin layer up inside?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 07/19/16 at 04:56:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/18/16 at 20:26:34:
The clutch cover side has oil passages,but I don't know about this side. If it's safe, why not just get that 1/2" clearance and wipe a thin layer up inside?

Most likely....they only got the cover off 1/2" because they didn't do anything to loosen the clip that holds the wiring in place behind the pulley.

There is only one way to fix this now, and that is to loosen the wiring harness, take the cover off, remove the old gasket and clean up everything, install a new gasket, and put it back together properly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 07/19/16 at 07:30:54

Dave wrote on 07/19/16 at 04:56:54:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/18/16 at 20:26:34:

Most likely....they only got the cover off 1/2" because they didn't do anything to loosen the clip that holds the wiring in place behind the pulley.

There is only one way to fix this now, and that is to loosen the wiring harness, take the cover off, remove the old gasket and clean up everything, install a new gasket, and put it back together properly.

And hope they put the washers on the right starter gear before reassembly!

IP Logged
guffikins
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/19/16 at 10:15:28

Hi, I'm the friend with the garage.

This seemed like a pretty straightforward question, I'm not sure why this forum is so hostile and assuming that we're incompetent. The bike was leaking oil, it seemed to be coming from behind the sprocket cover so we pulled it. After that, it was pretty obvious the crankcase cover was leaking. Since we knew we'd be replacing the gasket entirely at some point, we figured we'd open it up and see how difficult it was while we were there.

Surprisingly, Dave, we noticed the wiring harness bolt and removed it and the wiring there was freed.

We started late in the day, so once it was obvious that the gasket needed replacing and that we'd have to do anything more than just unbolt the cover, we buttoned it back up, added oil, rode it half an hour and checked the oil to make sure it would be fine for a while (it was), and ordered the gasket. Certainly not permanent, but good enough to ride until the part ships.

So, Dave, you pointed out that we'd need to remove the cover, clean up, and replace the gasket. Since that's exactly what we set out to do in the first place, can you tell us if we need to remove the engine from the bike to do it?

Batman, you just mentioned washers on the correct starting gears. Care to elaborate on that? Are these washers actually held on by the case? Is there any reason we'd remove them if not?

Verslagan1 thanks for the mention of the magnets- that explains how the cover was moving on us.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 07/19/16 at 10:34:29

The cover can be removed with the engine in the frame.....both sides.  You may have to remove the footpeg mounts, I am not sure about that as my bike hasn't had the stock peg mounts for years.

When you remove the cover, often the washers for the starter gears fall off.  Both washer go on the most forward of the two gears (one on the inside and one outside of the gear), the small gear nearest the starter does not get any washers.

And those magnets.....sure makes it feel like somebody is pulling inward on the cover while you are pulling outward!

This is not a hostile forum....but when you post a question and then let everyone guess for a day, creative minds begin to wander.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 07/19/16 at 10:40:59

guffikins wrote on 07/19/16 at 10:15:28:
This seemed like a pretty straightforward question, I'm not sure why this forum is so hostile and assuming that we're incompetent.

To paraphrase an old joke...
How do you piss off a lot of people trying to be helpful?

Tell you tomorrow...

WWW   IP Logged
guffikins
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/19/16 at 11:23:44

Dave wrote on 07/19/16 at 10:34:29:
The cover can be removed with the engine in the frame.....both sides.  You may have to remove the footpeg mounts, I am not sure about that as my bike hasn't had the stock peg mounts for years.

When you remove the cover, often the washers for the starter gears fall off.  Both washer go on the most forward of the two gears (one on the inside and one outside of the gear), the small gear nearest the starter does not get any washers.

And those magnets.....sure makes it feel like somebody is pulling inward on the cover while you are pulling outward!

This is not a hostile forum....but when you post a question and then let everyone guess for a day, creative minds begin to wander.

Thanks Dave, this is a perfect answer.

IP Logged
Xenokilla

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 07/19/16 at 17:08:35

Dave wrote on 07/19/16 at 10:34:29:

yea sorry i posted, went to sleep, then couldn't post at work.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 07/19/16 at 17:37:09

Gruffi, I mentioned the washers on the starter gear to be sure you wouldn't place them on the rear idler gear(as one tends to fall off when removeing the cover and fits on either of their shafts)they go on both sides of the anti kick back gear(the one with three rows of teeth) because if you had put it on the idler you could warp the cover, freeze the idler which would lock and maybe cook the starter motor.If you think that sounds ruff sorry,but I was really just trying to save you time ,money and heart ache,it didn't seem to me that you guys were that familiar with this particular bike.If you go to Ron Ayers web site ,pump in suk,your year,and s40 there are pictures of the entire bike (exploded) and should help in reassembly.(He is also a well known ,and reliable supplier of parts).I don't think we're hostile so much as honest,which at times may sound a bit brutal?

« Last Edit: 07/19/16 at 19:57:20 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:43:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › remove crankcase cover without taking out enigne?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.