YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Then & Now
Reply #15 - 04/09/16 at 22:39:06

pg wrote on 04/09/16 at 16:16:08:
Not a word from our friends on the left...

Best regards,

You know why I didn't join in here...

You knew what I would say,... and I knew the reaction...
Pitifully predictable on both sides... isn't it?...

... but let's get real... no time ever was Utopia...
Never was,.. never will be.

....but,... it will never be as it was... because you can't undo what came between...
Time to look forward, warts and all... you can't reverse time.
Try finding improvements in what is, rather than wishing for what was.
The past is filtered by nostalgia...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #16 - 04/10/16 at 04:30:19

"The past is filtered by nostalgia..."

....and nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be  Grin

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #17 - 04/10/16 at 06:54:20

HovisPresley wrote on 04/10/16 at 04:30:19:
"The past is filtered by nostalgia..."

....and nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be  Grin

1956  Cool.. Naw.... Being a freshman in high school SUX !!!!!!
2016  Being 74 retired and still vertical....     But I still don't like the popular music....... Cool

« Last Edit: 04/10/16 at 08:21:09 by old.indian »  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 04/10/16 at 07:14:37

no time ever was Utopia...
Never was,.. never will be.

Glad that is out now. Maybe we can start being a bit more pragmatic.
Much has been done, WRONG, in society and bunches more WRONG has come from D.C..
Nobody can thrive while the government robs them. Anyone who believes the wars aren't costing them is either super wealthy and making money from them or, just stupid.

Nostalgia isn't creating the memory of actually getting ahead with a ten thousand dollar CD.
Nostalgia didn't create the memory of what I WATCHED my grandpa accomplish, and buddy, let me tell you, I know how hard he worked.. And I worked much harder, and have less to show for it. I didn't have many minimum wage jobs.
I can't remember the borders being absolutely respected, but the Border patrol were allowed to do that job. Now, they are the final step in importing. The Diversity is Strength crowd are delusional. History shows otherwise. A few various peoples, and that's enough.
What's with the white guilt? Just exactly Who was it that engineered and financed the country? Does everyone understand that Mexico, with a decent government, could outstrip America? They have Vast resources.
I'm so sick of hearing about
The American spirit. How, when times get tough, Americans get tougher.. good grief, that the HUMAN spirit. Every race is the same in Determination to survive. Apparently, not every race is the same in being equipped to solve problems.
Yeah, I'm a racist. I saw Vietnamese show up with fifty bucks in their pockets, team up, live like rats, save every penny, and go into business making donuts or shrimping in the Gulf. Your Rubiks cube giving you fits? Look for some kid with slanty eyes.
You need a factory built? A refinery? Ohh, the complexities of a refinery, you don't even want to know.. Who solves THOSE problems? Look around. If everyone is so equal, why , in places where civilizations have existed for thousands of years, do they still live in huts? Everyone is equal, in the fact that, as a living,breathing human being, they are, like us, just trying to get through this life. We Know how we want to be treated, so, we owe the same to each other. But, we are not , on AVERAGE, equal in capabilities, across the races. Now, you can be horrified by that. You can even take offense. Then, go watch the Kenyan at the Olympics. Watch the NFL, watch the NBA. Notice what the racial spread looks like. How many Rubiks Cube solvers do You see?
Nobody is of low character and to be shunned because of their race. Nobody is good, and to be desired as a friend, because of their race.
Not every slanty eyed kid can solve the cube.
Not every white guy owned slaves. In fact, it was a low percentage.
Not every Mexican is a drunk driver, rapist, murderer...
But the Percentage of Bad people who are coming here is likely quite a bit higher than the Percentage of bad people in the general population of Mexico. I've explained that a few times.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #19 - 04/10/16 at 07:48:01

I don't think anyone can actually say that a Black man had equal access to a successful life, as measured in a capitalistic manner, from the days of discrimination, yet, the family unit was so much more intact, and the crime was no where near its present level in the Black community as it is with all this so called progress.....

Why?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #20 - 04/10/16 at 08:06:14

raydawg wrote on 04/10/16 at 07:48:01:
I don't think anyone can actually say that a Black man had equal access to a successful life, as measured in a capitalistic manner, from the days of discrimination, yet, the family unit was so much more intact, and the crime was no where near its present level in the Black community as it is with all this so called progress.....

Why?

How much media coverage (national OR local) did the Black community get in 1956 ????    Huh

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #21 - 04/10/16 at 08:17:06

old.indian wrote on 04/10/16 at 08:06:14:

Why?

How much media coverage (national OR local) did the Black community get in 1956 ????    Huh

I would guess very little, but then again, the media hadn't fine tuned the power it yielded yet, as it was still in infancy re: TV.

Not sure where you are going with the observation/question, can you expand on it?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #22 - 04/10/16 at 08:57:43

old.indian wrote on 04/10/16 at 08:06:14:

Why?

1956  "Media" was primarily defined as "print". Newspapers, magazines, etc. who carried non-local "stories" picked from news wire services (AP, Rutgers etc.)    TV "news" was not mobile. it was all done in the studio with written scripts and film or still pictures.  Stories had to be in before a "deadline" when the presses started or the live program began.  Live coverage 7/24 didn't exist, except in the very limited cases of a few radio stations.

2016  TV "news channels"  run 24 hour "news" loops where anything, and every thing, is used to fill in the time.      Regular TV networks are "entertainment" and their "news" departments are headed by entertainment orientated management.      Internet news....  Well, if you look around, you can find a "news" site that will support any view point you want to hold.....    

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 04/10/16 at 09:14:18

http://yourblackworld.net/2013/03/02/the-black-family-is-worse-off-today-than...

raydawg wrote on Today at 15:48:01:
I don't think anyone can actually say that a Black man had equal access to a successful life, as measured in a capitalistic manner, from t

Well, we did everything we could. Affirmative Action, and Look at where we are. About half of the black babies in NYC wind up in a trash sack.
Policies were enacted by the welfare people that penalized women who had children if they had a man in the house. So I hear..  I don't think the Opportunity for success is in the innercities of Detroit, NYC, etc.. so, these guy Do whatever. Most have no moral code, just the rule of the jungle. Join a gang or stay inside, I guess.. I don't Know what it's like,but I'm pretty sure it's not good.

I know one thing.. I MOVED.  I despised Odessa Texas. Every time I had enough money, I left. But I could usually make a living there. And, other places, just didn't work out, so, I moved Back to Odessa,,a crappy landlord inspired me to buy a trailer when I was 28, so, packing up and leaving was over.

The point is, anyone who has an entrepreneurial spirit can Be whatever they choose.
Just go to the Opportunity.
Wanna see what working on a drilling rig is all about?
Might be time to get yourself close to where they are drilling.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #24 - 04/11/16 at 06:46:20

Old Indian said  
"2016  TV "news channels"  run 24 hour "news" loops where anything, and every thing, is used to fill in the time.      Regular TV networks are "entertainment" and their "news" departments are headed by entertainment orientated management.      Internet news....  Well, if you look around, you can find a "news" site that will support any view point you want to hold.....  
 Back in 1956 the media, TV, papers and radio was under mostly private local control. Now in present day 2016 the media is owned by only two or three major companies that control what is fed to the public.
I still prefer drinking from a garden hose instead of a plastic water bottle. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 04/11/16 at 07:47:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/10/16 at 09:14:18:
The point is, anyone who has an entrepreneurial spirit can Be whatever they choose.

Spirit, can be taken from a child just like opportunity.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 04/11/16 at 08:16:30

Spirit is impossible to steal from some, very easy from others.
Opportunity? Well, with Spirit, Opportunity doesn't necessarily Have to be From someone else. Hence the term, Entrepreneur.
Air Force buddy of mine told me about one of his money making ideas for kids in winter. A dolly, battery, shovels, cables, charger, wagon, extension cord and a friend.
Jump start cars.. How many young guys are making money selling crack? Different opportunities. Different cultures are able to see opportunity when others don't. I've seen immigrants from Vietnam do well while the locals in the same area didn't prosper.
Something about the mindset. There's a test, arrows pointing out from a bold line, arrows pointing into the same bold line,
One looks longer to people from certain places, depending on the teachings.. That's what the article said, bunk and hokum? Dangfino... looked like one was longer to me.

I Did meet a guy who hypnotized. I asked if he could hypnotize me. He tried three times and gave up. He tried several types of gizmos,, I would like to try again,, but, the glass blowers booth at the mall didn't get leased by a hypnotist.

Now THERE is a great idea..
Gotta go get a comic book now,, so I can get the coupon for the gizmos, and, might as well get the presti, prestidigi, magicians stuff, so I can have the mysterious cape.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/12/16 at 06:14:25

Constitutionalists were considered terrorists in 1775 also.

--Steve

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #28 - 04/12/16 at 09:56:20

I won't even try to cover all of this, and these differences between 50 years ago and now.  But I can talk about standards of living.
I'm an only child.  My Mom,Dad, and I were what would probably be considered lower middle class back then.  We never owned a home, but always lived in rental houses; not apartments, but houses.  My Dad always had a job.
We had one car; my mother didn't learn to drive until she was about 45 years old.  We had one B&W TV set.  The dishwasher was my mother.  Up thru high school, I recall 2, that's right, 2 family vacations in all of that time.
We went out to eat on my birthday.  Period.
Air conditioning was what we enjoyed when we went to a store that had it.
A seafood dinner was Mrs. Paul's Fish Sticks, or salmon patties made with canned salmon.
Not often, but once in a while, dinner was toast and gravy.
I can't remember going to a movie with my Mom and Dad.
How many Americans would be satisfied with that standard of living today?  Darn few, except for those poor folks in the ghettos.

Then talk about medicine.  Back 50 years ago, any cancer was a death sentence, as was any heart disease.  No chemo, no stents and bypass operations; you just hung on a short time and died from those ailments.  Even infectious diseases were far more life threatening than today.  My Dad died in 1963 from pancreatitus at a time when it was 85% fatal.  Today it's 95% curable.

So, nostalgia is great, but always remember Paul Harvey's famous saying, "The good old days that never were".

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 04/12/16 at 12:55:31

What did your dad do, Jerry?
I've been poor. I used to, before I learned to cook, buy a chef salad and eat on it till the good stuff was gone. Get a tomato, boil eggs,jack it back up,, FOOD for three days...

The grandfather who had the snack bar? The road was a crushed shell road. The neighborhood was a horseshoe shape, about a block, like the long road, one down, and one across, one back up to asphalt. That road had a couple of brick houses, mostly frame houses, his was some kind of shingles on the front, the rest wood. A tiny shack across the street and one two story place, not pretty, with thirteen kids..

I wasn't Happy with My standard of living. I got better paying, harder, longer hour, jobs. That people aren't satisfied with the conditions of their lives isn't the fault of their neighbors. Sometimes, it's their own fault, maybe they are too lazy to work sixty plus hours a week. Maybe they're physically unable. Or, maybe it's not their fault at all. The economy has been stagnant for forty years. Upward mobility is not what it was. My dad became a multi millionaire, with just a HS diploma. He RAN more than one oil company. Can that be done today?
The SYSTEM,from the foundation up,is parasitic. The Federal Reserve,believe it or not, is the root of the problem. It feeds the MIC with the fruits of all of our labors. Until the educable few choose to avail themselves of the information that I have referenced time after time,they will believe the propaganda.

Again, WHY did Henry Ford say
It's good enough that the American people don't understand how the financial system works, because If they did, there would be a revolution by morning.
Was He a crazy conspiracy theorist or was he educated about something that the average American not only does not know, but refuses to believe when I have explained it numerous times
AND, observed reality is Standing Right there, screaming
If what I have been saying is correct, what would America look like?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 12:26:26

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Then & Now

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.