Send Topic Print
Bang For The Buck (Read 2028 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bang For The Buck
Reply #60 - 03/18/16 at 09:31:06

Dave, have you considered a Miata? Or, any little two seater?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #61 - 03/18/16 at 10:49:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/18/16 at 09:31:06:

No......I don't need or want a sports car.  I want a 2 wheel Barcolounger for 2.....that doesn't require a 34" inseam and weigh 750 pounds.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #62 - 03/18/16 at 11:02:16

I'd be interested to here how a test ride goes on one of those Honda 700's.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 03/18/16 at 11:17:05

Gus wrote on 03/18/16 at 11:02:16:
I'd be interested to here how a test ride goes on one of those Honda 700's.

There is one a couple hours ride from here for sale.....but the weather over the weekend is going to be crappy (possibly some snow showers tomorrow).

I read some road tests where they claim they are a bit under powered, and need a sixth gear - but this could be coming from the same test folks that just climbed off the new UberHP Guzzumacati!

One of the problems withe the big touring bikes is that I want to be able to load it onto my trailer and tow it behind my little car, and loading a 750 pound motorcycle by myself is really scary.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #64 - 03/18/16 at 12:52:48

I hear you Dave; on the 750 lbs. part. I've got no desire to wrestle with a big bike anymore myself. Not from any standpoint.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #65 - 03/18/16 at 16:15:51

Dave wrote on 03/18/16 at 10:49:47:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/18/16 at 09:31:06:

No......I don't need or want a sports car.  I want a 2 wheel Barcolounger for 2.....that doesn't require a 34" inseam and weigh 750 pounds.

I'm So able to get where you're coming from.
There is just no reason why we can't have such a machine available to us. The engines and power trains are , IMO, well inside the engineering and manufacturing capabilities of the human race.
I don't see any reason for an engine to propel two people down the road at eighty MPH and get them from zero to sixty in eight seconds to have to be 1,400 CC's. But, I'm not an engineer, either. Just seems to me that another 250/300CC's otta do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 03/18/16 at 18:26:05

JOG:

I think a 600 - 800 twin is plenty of engine for a sport touring bike, or small touring bike that can carry  two people.  I have a friend that traveled all over the Rockies on a BMW K75 about 20 years ago, and he said it had plenty of power.  He said you may not be able to blow past 6 cars at a time when passing - but it had plenty of power for normal riding.

I am starting to think the NT700 might be a good bike for my wife and I, and one that is reasonable to load on a trailer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #67 - 03/18/16 at 19:18:14

There's a trailer out there that sits flat, ride on, raise it up..
Can't remember what they are called.

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 03/19/16 at 07:09:49

Dave:

Used to ride all over the western U.S. and Canada on a 1984 BMW R80RT air cooled opposed twin, loaded with now-ex-wife and camping gear. True, we weren't "blowing the doors" off cars we passed but I never felt the urgent need for Tim Taylor-esqe MORE POWER!! lol

What I liked about the Beemer is what I like about the S40: simplicity, light weight, and ease of maintenance.

(Ummmm...anybody interested in a very well maintained Vulcan 1500FI?  Wink )

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #69 - 03/19/16 at 10:28:06

Wow Dave :

I was just looking at your next bike ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Deauville

almost made me want one !  Its lighter than my Harley and more HP. !  Wink  

plus luggage and storage space --- plus more fuel by a 1/2 gal !

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #70 - 03/19/16 at 10:56:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/18/16 at 19:18:14:
There's a trailer out there that sits flat, ride on, raise it up.

It is not just the loading scare that is putting me on a weight reduction mission to replace the ST1100.  It is also the fact that I can just barely reach the ground on the bike, even with a seat that has been lowered by removing some padding.  And it is the fact that when you are height challenged, any dip when you stop can be just the place you set your foot when you come to a stop....and once the brute starts over (bike...not wife) you can't stop it from falling.  With careful riding and planning you can most often avoid those tip-overs - but not always.  And if you happen to set your foot on a little bit of gravel or a slick spot....it can make it impossible to hold the bike up.  Since I am just barely able to touch the ground - my legs pretty much have to extend straight down alongside the bike - and this give me very little leverage against the weight of the bike......my size 10 outriggers just can't get very far away from the bike to help lever the bike upright.

We also have a problem with the seat being so long.  Since my short arms and legs make me sit right up against the fuel tank - I am a long way in front of my wife who is sitting at the back of the seat leaning against the top box and pad.  There is about a foot of space between us, and the wind gets between us and beats her up badly.  Her head is in constant turbulent air, and she is exhausted from fighting the wind.  We are going to try a taller windshield, and I imagine that will help....currently the short windshield allows the air to just touch the top 1/3rd of my helmet, and then the airflow drops and hits my wife from the neck up.  She can't slide forward on the seat as her sitting space is a couple inches taller than mine, and the footpeg position would be uncomfortable if she were to move forward.

The ST1100 is a great motorcycle, and for someone 6' and above it is an ideal  Sport Touring bike.  I am just a bit too small to use it as our "dual up" bike as I approach Senior Citizen status.

I looked at a BMW F800 bike today and it would be great for me as a solo rider - but the rear seat doesn't look comfortable for a rider.   It is not nearly as bad as the sport bikes that put the rider up on a perch with their ankles 6" below their butt.....but it is not a touring bike seating position.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #71 - 03/19/16 at 11:20:04

There's a road , T intersection, and the curves up for about twelve feet as you approach the stop sign. Your foot is lower than the bottom of a line between the two tires, and even the Savage was something to consider. The Guzzi? Hope for a no traffic, run the sign. If traffic, pull parallel to the road I want to be on, stop, foot down on the side I can touch.

.  And if you happen to set your foot on a little bit of gravel or a slick spot

I call that
The Power Splits.
And I've been seen picking up a bike after doing it.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #72 - 03/19/16 at 15:39:19

That's why I did not purchase one Dave...

I have a 31-32" inseam and with the seat being anywhere from 5" in front to about 12" in the back, it shortens my legs a bit to probably about 27", so I had to tip toe a bit.

And it was a little top heavy to boot.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #73 - 03/19/16 at 16:09:57

Hay Dave ! :

http://www.sloansmotorcycle.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=...

Whats the point in working all the time if ya don't  get to spend the money ?

Wink

they are perdly !!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #74 - 03/19/16 at 16:45:41

http://www.airtow.com/flatbed-model-specs/

I Really thought Dave was taller.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:27:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bang For The Buck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.