Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print
August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28. (Read 2526 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24
Reply #240 - 08/30/16 at 03:39:45

Now let me tell you about BIG catfish and ultra lite rods.

I spent 2-3 hours learning how to catch one of Dave's catfish.   First, they will not touch an artificial anything (but the brim and the bass will).    Second, they will not eat live bait, especially anything that is moving around.   Third, they will not hit meat (but the brass and the brim will).

They will consistently hit a small to medium chunk of floating bread, but only after circling it twice to check it out good.

Line size is everything as they circle the bait, 8-10 pound nylon line gets detected about half the time and the fish leaves.   If one fish slaps his tail in the water all the fish in the area run for deeper water ....   but you get another chance shortly as the endless rotation goes by.  

What is needed is Spyder Silkpatented line, line with a high breaking strength (10 pounds) but the size of 4 pound test nylon line.   Beware of imitators, Spider Wire is slightly different stuff and it seems to be more widely available --- who knows, it might be better.

When you are casting nothing for weight (a hook and a piece of bread) a free casting ultra-lite is just the ticket.

Dave's fish circle the side of his pond about 4- 8 feet out from the shore running in line with each other going counter clockwise.  Spacing between fish is about 3-5 feet and by doing this they can scent the whole pond continuously.  

This helps, as a bungled cast or other noisy operator error will see a new crop of customers in about 5-10 minutes as the fish rotate around the pond.   You cast, make a splash, scare off the nearby fish then you wait for the new customers to rotate around the pond.   If your bait is 5-10 feet out that's golden -- jest wait for it.   Catfish hunt by scent, but Dave's fish are right picky as to what they will eat.

Casting at visible fish is a waste of time, it scares them off 100%.   These fish hunt by smell alone, so your bait has to sit and trail odor off into the water.  They like them blueberry English muffins they do ..... even better than plain bread.

You sit there with an open bail, waiting for a big cat to take the bread floating on the top of the water.   You can see the big dark shadow as the catfish circles twice checking for line (spyder silk is neutral buoyancy and stays right under the surface) then he turns and runs straight at it and swallows it whole.   No joke, a couple of them came straight on to me and I could see straight down their gullets when they took the bait.  

One of the ones we caught had a 8-10" mouth on him, seriously.

The line then rolls off the bail as the fish continues his endless counter clockwise circle while he swallows his dinner.  Give them at least a count of 10 to swallow the bait.   I learned not to strike the hook so hard as I was breaking the line off at the nook at first but instead I just start with a light tug and begin retrieving line.   The hook biting into his guts makes the fish take off like a freight train and the drag buzzes as the line goes out.   The fish actually finishes seating the hook all by himself .....

The the fight is generally 10-15 minutes long and the catfish's guts aren't nearly strong enough to hold the hook at that level of stress, so the hook rips on up his innards and generally winds up caught in the very corner of his mouth, lodged in the gristle joint.   All the damage done to the inside of the fish's guts helps shorten the fight time, which is a good thing, I guess.

It takes two of us to bring the catfish in and net him.  You have to lay the net on the bottom and cajole the fish over the net, then raise it up and fold him in half to get him into the net.  My net's rim opening wasn't big enough and if I planned to do this often by myself I'd get a larger diameter long handled salt water style net.

Dave's catfish roll when they get desperate right up at the shore and the sight of a 13-18 pound catfish rolling reminds you of an alligator rolling.   Rolling means they can't fight effectively or veer off, so it is a straight pull towards the net at that point.

We threw away 35 pounds of stripped carcasses, a catfish is mostly head and ribcage and guts.   Killing a catfish is hard, driving a knife through their head won't stop them from wriggling, nor will repeated blows from a hammer.   Gripping them by the eye sockets and the tail fin and firmly holding them works, but it takes two people to fillet a wriggling 13-18 pound catfish one to hold the knife and fillet, and one to hold down the wriggling catfish.    

The fillet meat was flawless however, no dark mudstripe at all on these fish.  Overnight in a brine solution yielded wonderful non-fishy fish fillets that MM cut into long strips so they would fry up evenly.

« Last Edit: 08/30/16 at 21:10:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #241 - 08/30/16 at 04:00:24

Well the Catfish Saga is almost over.

Saturday afternoon I took the stinking/rotting garbage that included fish parts out into the field, and I had the unpleasant job of separating the fish parts from the trash.  I left the fish parts in the field for the Turkey Vultures, and packed the garbage in a trash bag and then hauled it back to the house and double bagged it, and set it up near the end of the driveway to get it away from the house, and would set it out for trash pickup when that day arrived.

Last night I went down to the pole barn and the place smelled horrible.  I looked around and found that I had put the carcass of the fish that Oldfeller caught and cleaned on Wednesday night in a trash bag and set it in a plastic bucket in the pole barn.....where it sat for for 5 days in the heat! (I had intended to do something with it the next day...but I had forgotten about it).   I loaded the stinking maggot infested bag into the tractor loader bucket and I hauled it out to the brush pile and dumped it.  While I was in the field I looked for the other fish parts I had put in the field on Saturday - and I saw that the Vultures have completely stripped the meat off the bones .....there wasn't a speck of meat left on them anywhere and they look like those fish skeletons that you see in the cartoons.

So - I have learned that the fish carcass needs to be treated with urgency, and disposed of immediately!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #242 - 08/30/16 at 05:27:21

Catfish... The gift that keeps giving.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #243 - 08/30/16 at 07:07:29

Sounds and looks like ya'll had a great time!!   Cheesy

I really need to get out that way at some point and do a bit of all that stuff with ya.   Life just doesn't work that way right now.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #244 - 08/30/16 at 08:11:24

Guns, we need to bring smaller, quieter shorter distance type stuff to be shooting.    

Dave's long range range has such a steep hill on it that you can't go check your target (unless you are VERY fit that is).   We used binoculars and my 24x scope on the 30-06 to check the nearer targets, but nobody could see the holes in the longer distance targets at all.  

If there were any, that is.    Shooting straight downhill plays hob with "set on the level" scopes and it also does strange things to the post firing ballistics .....

Everything we shot was generally low (or high) by some fairly considerable offset amounts too.

Adult air rifles off the back porch would be better suited than what we tried this time out.

And in truth, the eyes in our group simply aren't so wonderful any more ......  Lancer did well with his 45-70 and open sights, so the eyes thing isn't an across the board thing either.   MM did well with the 30-06 and Versy was clunking the big tin can regularly with the short rifles.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #245 - 08/30/16 at 17:28:59

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I wish I could have been there but it was my Dad's 91st birthday on Sunday the 28th. I arrived at his home in Atlanta on Thursday and got back home last night. It was really good to see my Dad enjoy himself so much.

I probably could not have done much of the physical stuff with you guys anyway as I injured my knee a few weeks ago. I had an MRI last week and went to the doctor for the results today. We suspected a torn meniscus which would have probably required surgery, but MRI showed a bruised and bleeding bone instead. Six weeks of "take it easy" and I should be OK. The Doc said to ride bike and or swim. I wonder if he meant the motorcycle? Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #246 - 08/31/16 at 04:51:08

I fed the catfish last night....and their routine is back to normal.  There are still plenty of fish in the pond, and they ate normally and didn't seem to notice that their number had been depleted a bit.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #247 - 08/31/16 at 06:52:57

Dave, I seem to have inherited some magazines of yours.
When Mike and I were packing up he thought the stack on your kitchen island belonged to me.  Apparently it was because a magazine of mine was laying on the countertop next to the stack of yours, so he picked them all up and packed them in my truck.  We did not realize what had happened until we got to my place and unpacked.  I will be glad to send them back to you with the Raptor if you like.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #248 - 08/31/16 at 07:25:15

Lancer.

Those magazines were nothing special.....don't send them back.

My wife will be glad to have them out of the house!

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #249 - 08/31/16 at 08:39:22

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/30/16 at 08:11:24:

Guns, we need to bring smaller, quieter shorter distance type stuff to be shooting.    

Dave's long range range has such a steep hill on it that you can't go check your target (unless you are VERY fit that is).   We used binoculars and my 24x scope on the 30-06 to check the nearer targets, but nobody could see the holes in the longer distance targets at all.  

If there were any, that is.    Shooting straight downhill plays hob with "set on the level" scopes and it also does strange things to the post firing ballistics .....

Everything we shot was generally low (or high) by some fairly considerable offset amounts too.

Adult air rifles off the back porch would be better suited than what we tried this time out.

And in truth, the eyes in our group simply aren't so wonderful any more ......  Lancer did well with his 45-70 and open sights, so the eyes thing isn't an across the board thing either.   MM did well with the 30-06 and Versy was clunking the big tin can regularly with the short rifles.

The "fix" for the '06, 308 and other long range stuff at our ages is a 12" x12"x 1" steel plate hanging from a support.  Makes a nice "clang" to indicate a hit and saves a lot of walking .  (Note: 1/2" and smaller tends to get punched full of holes, even at 500+ yards.)  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #250 - 08/31/16 at 13:40:10

I'm home, unloaded, cleaned up and ready for another adventure... In a week or two.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #251 - 09/01/16 at 05:29:00

Glad you made it home Versy......you definitely had the longest round trip - something close to 5,000 miles?

Last night my wife and I ate the last of the leftover Catfish.  She heated it up in the oven.....it was still excellent and tasted better than any Catfish I have ever had at any restaurant.  I think it was just as good as any Grouper that I have ever eaten!

Lily is missing you all, and she is dragging her favorite "stick" around trying to find somebody to play with.  She is also learning to speak when you ask her "Whhaaat!" - MMRanch started the training, and she has just about got it down pat.

https://youtu.be/X7YSeAJpXDg

« Last Edit: 09/01/16 at 07:22:10 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #252 - 09/01/16 at 09:29:33

I think Lilly got used to the large amount of attention she was getting from everybody.   She is a very sweet puppy though, and deserves some play time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #253 - 09/02/16 at 18:49:04

Yea : She is a very sweet puppy though, and deserves some play time.

I miss waking up mornings with a wet ear !  and the smiling dog standing there .  Smiley   but I'm afraid to tell my wife about missing the ear thing for fear of her trying to make me feel better .     Grin

Little water (size) Balloons make great air gun targets  and they come in 100 count bags for a buck twenty nine . !

Dave , I had a great time on this trip !  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #254 - 09/03/16 at 03:02:45

I have to agree, it was a very good trip Dave.
The roads in that part of Kentucky were just great !
I don't remember a single pothole of any kind and even a patch was pretty rare.  That made the ride so very comfortable and just plain pleasant.
The roads you chose for us to ride could not have been better in my mind.
I loved your house and your garage play room too, everything thought out and well chosen.
When is the next ride ??  😀

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 12:17:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.