Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print
August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28. (Read 2526 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24
Reply #225 - 08/28/16 at 09:51:39

Saturday was the final fun day of the event......more riding, shooting and eating!

In the morning hours we all washed the bikes, as we had gotten rained on the previous night while headed to dinner.  After drying them off and putting the finishing touches on the shine....MM did a bit of primary chain maintenance on his Harley, Versy removed the Fuel/Air meter that confirmed his carb was doing well, Lancer mounted a tool roll on his forks, and by then it was lunch time.  After lunch we stuck Versy on the little Ninja 250, and rode the Honda NT700....and MM, Oldfeller and I went on a nice frisky ride on Route 10, 22 and 139.  Versy did great coaxing the little Ninja around the curves - and he learned how to shift the little bugger down 3 gears everything you exit a corner!

We then headed home and got ready for the catfish fry.  I had made the mistake of putting the leftover fish parts in the trash can, and after 2 days or ripening...the stench was awful!  I removed the fish parts out to a field a long way from the house - and it was impossible to get the smell out of the cans....Clorox and water failed to remove the smell from the can (I have it sitting out in the sun hoping to bake the smell out).

MMRanch and Oldfeller cleaned the fish on Thursday evening, and the fish were soaked in brine solution and that was changed once or twice.  MM had a batter recipe, and he and Oldfeller cooked up the fish, and my wife made the hush puppies.  It was incredible how good the Catfish tasted...I have never been a big fan of catfish as it tastes a little fish....this catfish was incredible and tasted much like Grouper or some other ocean fish - not like something out of a pond!  After eating we lit a fire a sat on the porch, and my wife and I played music with our musical friends that also came for the fish fry.

MMRanch and the cooked catfish:

The catfish and hushpuppies:

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #226 - 08/28/16 at 17:58:18

Well, I am at home and unpacking all the stuff out of the car.  Sure goes back into its cubby holes quicker than it get packed, that's for sure.

Interesting Facts

Verslagen caught the biggest catfish, 12-13 pounds by my guesstimate.   It was big enough that I had to fight to get it folded into the net, it made a "U" shape to fit in there and as mentioned before, it did not fit the tub without overlapping itself as it circled in the tub.   Verslagen caught the most fish by count as well.

It took two of us to get the bigger fish ashore -- they were too heavy to lift with the fishing lines we were using as the catfish would not touch a heavy line that they could feel as they approached the bread bit.   I was glad I brought a fishnet with me .....

Because it was a two person job, you won't see any fishing pics from the folks fishing, as we were all VERY BUSY at the time.

Yep, unless one of the non-fisher folks took a pic or two you won't see the big tub of fish and you certainly won't see a pic of the cleaning as everybody went somewhere else in a hurry when the fillet knife came out.    Messy.

MM is a great catfish person, he knows what he is doing.

Rides were great, and we went on at least one a day.   I especially liked the little sharp hills that got you some negative G force generated going over the sharp crest and then there was a turn right after the crest that you entered while your shocks were still settling from the jump.

Dave, so light and trim as he is, he could tromp on all of us on a roll on race even on his little Ninja.   And once again, another Sportster has to admit it cannot keep up with a Savage unless it gets the drop on them and once the Sportster gets a lead started Savages simply cannot win the lead back as the big difference in top end puts paid to the contest.   A Sportster's top end is 50 mph up on a Savage you know, so if you get behind at the start, that's all folks.   If the Savage gets the drop at the start, the Sportster cannot catch up until over 85 mph.

MM did something to his primary chain system again messing about with us and he has noises and tics and vibrations that he is now puzzling through.    We hope he hasn't killed his Hurley again messing about with beating us.

We trained Dave's dog Lilly to be MM's licker alarm clock to get him up in the morning --- a very dedicated puppy that one .....  MM woke to a wet Lilly kiss in his ear most mornings.

First we had to show Lilly how to open the door to the tent, after that it was all natural as Lilly loved MM's ear a bunch, he tasted so good.

MM taught Lilly how to talk in dog talk, seriously.   Dave's perfectly well mannered dog learned several new things from us, and was sad to see everybody leave.

« Last Edit: 08/29/16 at 01:40:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20160826_073500.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #227 - 08/28/16 at 20:07:00

Well , I made it back in time  for Sunday night bible study 17:00-19:00 hrs.   So now after dinner with the family its computer time.   Pictures might have to wait till tomorrow ?   I don't have many but some from the "gear-head" restaurant , a few from the "Taking my bike for a boat ride" , and could be one or two more ?

I enjoyed the one's already up !    Smiley

« Last Edit: 08/29/16 at 21:57:56 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #228 - 08/28/16 at 20:11:49

Glad to see you all had a good time. I'm not missing out on that fish fry next year!!!!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #229 - 08/29/16 at 00:55:17

Here is a pic of the ferry ride, it was scenic and smelled like a large river smells ..... all diesel smoke and river water smells.

IMG_20160826_144240.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #230 - 08/29/16 at 01:09:12

Here is us at the bore coating place, with Dave dropping off a head that needs a valve guide reamed to exactly fit the valve stem.

IMG_20160826_155211.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #231 - 08/29/16 at 01:15:27

And here is the fiddle and banjo pickin' session, with Dave and Deb playing along with their musical buddies.  

The fire is a Swedish Candle, a log with three equal vertical cuts going down the length of the log -- the trick works great, one log makes a good 2-3 hour fire, then it is gone with the one log being completely consumed by the heap of coals from the sliced uprights.

IMG_20160827_212323.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #232 - 08/29/16 at 12:30:59

We were pretty lucky with the weather, with only a single rain event that hit us for a couple of miles on Friday.....and a couple of miles on wet roads on Saturday.

On Sunday afternoon we got the tent down, and then had to quickly move it onto the porch without packing it - as the wind made it impossible to fold and had started to sprinkle.  The rain then set in very heavy, and it rained until very early in the morning.  Those gravel driveways down the street had a lot more gravel washed out onto the street - and there was a lot of local flooding.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #233 - 08/29/16 at 15:24:50

Lancer have made it safely to OK with an extra bike in tow.

Thanks Dave for a wonderful time.
You have a wonderful place, wonderful roads and you deserve it.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #234 - 08/29/16 at 20:24:21

I found a couple of pictures :

So we went to a "Bike Night" event that was really nice .   There was a band playing rock+roll , bikes of every size and shape (by the hundreds) , and a dinner with BBQ topped Pepper-Jack Cheese Burgers .   here a picture of the dinner :

MotorHead_Dinner.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #235 - 08/29/16 at 20:27:08

They were hanging everywhere !   Some of them looked like you might let them down and drive them off !  Roll Eyes
And then there were these :
Some folks just can't hold the camera still and hit the button at the same time !  Tongue

1472172801825.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #236 - 08/29/16 at 20:50:54

We rode some great twisties , OldFeller passed a Commando and a sport bike - I was close behind but didn't pass them too because they sped up and stayed up for a short time , but the pressure of those speeds must have got to them so they dropped off.   After OldFeller got out of sight --- then passed us all again --  Roll Eyes -- so after must have been 20 miles of twisties we stopped at this spot for some refreshment :

Thirty minutes later as we were leaving Guess who came by ???    Huh

The Commando and the SportBike !  Grin
« Last Edit: 08/29/16 at 22:13:34 by MMRanch »  

1472233527944.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #237 - 08/29/16 at 21:19:19

That was all before Lunch !  Grin

We went on to some little town another 20-25 miles and couple communitys later and guess who was there ???  Yea - the Commando and the SportBike  Huh

Across the street at the pizza place where we ate there was a KLR with a monster Fuel-tank I started a conversation with the friendly feller and come to find out ! it was 13 Gals.  Shocked   He had rode to Alaska and said he looked at maps to find the gas stations along the way and they were few and far between .  

The waitress took a picture for us  :

1472236951350.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #238 - 08/29/16 at 21:39:24

Sometimes your Blessing never to seem to even slow down !  

We went from the Pizza place to give our bikes a boat ride across to Ohio river and instead of waiting for the ferry-boat to get there --- we just drove right on and the boat took off !   I'd never give my bike a boat ride before (I think it liked it )  Grin .   There were two Older Harley Fellers on there with us too.  There was a feller on the ferry (in a car) that wanted a bike so bad he was drooling !  .   Well, when we all cranked-up to leave he didn't stop drooling and get back in his car till we were circling the parking lot to regroup ,  I could under why -- the whole day was going just perfect !  Smiley

The feller on the right in the black shirt .  Wink   We talked , I instructed him to wait till late January when  the Christmas credit card bills come in and Ebay is flooded with bikes  !  Grin

1472245534754.jpg

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #239 - 08/30/16 at 02:51:08

Tea and Crumpets --- almost tastes as good as pork chops .....

I didn't see what they did for a reaction as I was well gone by then.   Either bike should have been able to catch and pass me if the rider was able.   When I waited at the next intersection and you guys pulled up all in proper order I assumed you had passed them as well (grind it in, grind it in, grind it in).  

So they sped up, huh?   Same reaction between a Crumpet and a Hurley then "That fat old man simply can't be passing me on a puny 250 single cylinder Granny bike !!!   Inconceivable !!!   Hit the throttle, Sam, full speed ahead !!!"          next corner .... yikes !!

I went fast enough in the next little section to catch a little zero G air (or mebbe some severe shock lift) cresting the sharp little hills leading into the next turn --- that was fun too.    I wanted to make them fight a bit when they came after their revenge.

Actually, the whole area was under stocked with Hurleys, Mike's was the only one available to pick on.

« Last Edit: 08/30/16 at 04:03:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 03:09:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.