Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print
August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28. (Read 2526 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND
Reply #15 - 01/30/16 at 22:29:55

I suspect that those who go on the Texas trip will have a chance to lay out their plans for the August trip to Dave's farm.

Some sort of organized truck sharing, etc.

After that trip is over, we can discuss the Blue Ridge Campground trip as by then folks may find it is either or with Dave's trip being only a month later on.    I won't be going to the Blue Ridge trip as I will still be in recovery from my heart surgery, so that one is up to you guys to pull together if you want it.

I am going to Dave's in August, even if it means just driving up in the Cube toting some firearms.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 01/31/16 at 09:02:35

pg wrote on 01/30/16 at 17:21:34:
Art Webb wrote on 01/30/16 at 06:51:14:
I wonder if I'm faster or slower around a curve on the scooter?  Roll Eyes

What's the top end of that scooter?  I bet it's faster than my S40.....    Undecided

Best regards,

I hit the ton on the way home one night
the scoot didn't much like it
neither did I
but there was more to be had if I'd been braver. the scooter was not topped out
70-80 is smooth, 90 is stressed a bit, 100 is definitely getting up ther
top speed is supposed to be 110

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 01/31/16 at 09:06:23

MMRanch wrote on 01/30/16 at 21:50:37:
Art !  

Ride your SuperScoot to Lynchburg and I'll put ya up for the night then we'll leave out the next morning ,after breakfast for Dave's place  .   Wink

If you can just get a half-way over night spot between your house and mine ? ...
Huh ,  Roll Eyes ,  Undecided ,  Shocked ,
The Natchez trace has free camping at three spots (each end and middle), check out the middle campground --- its about a short days ride from my house.  Smiley

Art ... Does Kentucky have real curves ???  Cheesy
Your a Dragon Slayer NOW !

I dunno about that dragon slayer bit, I'm more like a dragon survivor, crept through it nice and slow, ask poor lancer, he was behind me the whole way, probably wondering what was wrong with my throttle hand Grin
Riding is definitely doable, though I wouldn't be able to bring my long gun I don't think (not sure about the law on that between here and there)
Also if Springman wants to go, we may be sharing the Ranger again

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 01/31/16 at 20:47:32

Well Fellers

If it ain't raining then I'm ridding  Tongue .   I'll leave the long guns at home.   I thought I'd bring a ballon popping Air (pellet) pistol (P-17) Beeman I think.   I could bring my 22LR 10" contender or the same in 222 Rem. or same in 45LongColt ???

Dave , What kinda Noise level are the neighbors good with ?    I have found that a 100 yard water balloon can be a hard target for an open-sighted pistol.  (We may need some REALLY BIG WATER BALLOONS)     Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 02/01/16 at 03:20:05

My arsenal is a bit limited....shotguns, a .22 rifle, handguns.  I don't have anything that will shoot a long distance.

No problem with the neighbors and noise.  Most of them shoot on a regular basis - on any weekend day you are likely to hear somebody shooting.

I own 25 acres, and we won't be shooting right next door to anyone's house.  There are plenty of hills to use as a back stop.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 02/01/16 at 05:41:29

Art Webb wrote on 01/30/16 at 06:51:14:
I'd like to do this ride if I can make it work and I won't slow you guys down too much.  I wonder if I'm faster or slower around a curve on the scooter?  Roll Eyes

There is very little chance that you will need to worry about your top speed on the rides around this area - however you will have to be able to carry a reasonable speed in the corners.  If you have to slow down for every corner on the scooter, the rides will be tedious.  There are a lot of corners in this area, as it is very hilly and the roads wander around a lot.  There are not as many blind corners as there are around the Dragon/Blueridge area, and there generally aren't 2 or 3 of the curves back to back - but the roads certainly aren't straight.  On Route 10 there are a couple of turns that are really sharp and they can sneak up on a rider.....I will be certain to point those out as we come to them. - the rest of the corners are 40 mph sweepers and there is a lot of elevation changes going on the entire time.

Practice making turns on the scooter and find out how far over until the chicken strips on the tires are gone.......although I really don't know home many turns you can find in your area of TX?  Wink      

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 02/01/16 at 08:31:59

your definition of a 40 MPH sweeper and mine may differ
On the Dragon run I think everyone was ok with the speed I held through sweepers, it was the blind turns and tight twisties that made me Captain Slow
I have some sweepers around here that are 'suggestion' posted at 40, that I take at 55-60, and I know me and the scoot could take them faster, but it's hard to push it going in , same as when I ran the Dragon
the main limiting factor for me on the tight turns is fear, pure and simple, and it's hard to find places to practice with tighter turns around here
Maybe I should forget this one

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #22 - 02/01/16 at 09:56:31

Howdy gentlemen. First off, my apologies Old Feller, I did not know you had undergone surgery. Please accept my best wishes. May God help you to a speedy recovery.

Now as far as riding is concerned, I do not know if I can make it to this gathering but it does sound like a lot of fun. Heck, I may even have to buy a pellet gun if I can show up.

Dave, that is awfully nice of you to accept all us old farts gathering at your farm. I hope I can make it.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 02/01/16 at 14:21:15

Surgery is next week, but I'm going to be out of service for a while after that.

Dave's trip is likely the first one I'm going to try to go back on and that is likely to be driving up in a car.

I suspect there will be enough pellet guns for people to take turn shooting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #24 - 02/01/16 at 15:48:51

Well, best wishes to you Old Feller. Speedy recovery. Wink

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #25 - 02/02/16 at 06:55:20

I reckon I'll sit this one out, there seems to be a fair bit of concern with my ability to keep up, and it's justified, considering my performance on the dragon
I'll miss the shooting, but no reason to drive or ride all that way just to do some shooting

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #26 - 02/02/16 at 09:12:25

I can be persuaded to participate. And, if necessary, I'll be the lead for a slower group. I do most of my riding on the Ohio side of the river so I'm not familiar with the routes Dave is talking about to take them super, super fast.

The only caveat is I was laid off at the end of December and only one of my current job prospects is in the local area. The rest will require moving.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 02/02/16 at 09:35:05

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 02/02/16 at 09:12:25:
I'm not familiar with the routes Dave is talking about to take them super, super fast.

No Super Fast stuff......if anybody wants that we will just hook them up with the Assphalt Junkies.

You, me and Blinky rode on Route 10 once, and Route 22 cuts off to the west and is very similar.  Route 165 from Mt Olivet to the Blue Lick Battlefield near Maysville is a really nice road and is a bit more open with longer curves and smoother paving.  Just about all of the roads in that part of the county are great roads with little traffic...although you do come up upon some slow traffic regularly.

On the Ohio side the roads are very nice, and maybe riding up along the river and to Pleasant Plain for lunch at the Plain Folk Cafe' would be fun.

And if any of the local fellows want to meet up for a ride.....we just need to figure out a gathering spot.  We could meet at the Shell Station in Wilder where the Aasphalt junkies meet....and then when they ride off - we could go the other direction!

I looked at the Wilmington Mile website to see if they had a speed weekend in August...nope, that could be when folks go to Bonneville.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 02/02/16 at 10:04:38

Grin     No super fast stuff ....   we will remember those words as we dish up the teasing later on.

What if it rains on us ?????      zzzzzzzzzzzzzzooom .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 02/03/16 at 03:18:16

Does anyone have a suggestion for the dates in August?  The Waynesville event is scheduled for July 22-30 - so to give as much time between the two events as possible, it might be wise to schedule the event late in August.  This will also provide Oldfeller an extended healing period.....and provide the best chance for him to bring his bike.

Unless someone comes up with a conflict and has a suggestion for a better date.....how about Wednesday August 24 through Sunday August 28th?  If you want to arrive earlier that is fine....or stay a bit later is OK - I am still working and will likely have to spend a portion of the 22nd and 23rd checking on construction projects so that I can take off the last 3 days of the week - but you can arrive whenever it works out best for you.  If you only want to camp a night or two that is fine. We have plenty of open area to camp, we have a very large covered porch where you can set up a tent if you want to be out of the sun/rain, and if the weather is incredibly hot you can put your cot or sleeping bag in the garage and I will turn on the A/C.  We have a grill and outdoor shower that makes it just like being at summer camp!  For the folks from the local area - we can meet at my house or pick a stop along the way to gather.

August 24th - 28th is the tentative date

Rides can be planned as the event gets closer.  Trips to Rabbit Hash Kentucky, Natural Bridge, Blue Lick Battleground, a ride between Ohio/KY on the river ferry at Augusta, and maybe a trip to Brown County Indiana are possible.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:05:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.