Send Topic Print
Front Fender Option (Read 924 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Front Fender Option
Reply #15 - 01/31/16 at 07:44:26

I like the GW coverage and that the rear comes down further than the front goes forward. Id probably go Kawa fender and mudflap, just to save effort. And the chrome will need paint after all the work.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 01/31/16 at 08:40:02

Here is where new holes would need to be drilled for the Kawasaki fender.  When I mount it....I will weld the existing holes closed, then drill the new holes.

If you found a good Gold Wing fender, it could be made to work.  The bracket would need more work than the Kawasaki Fender, and after doing some welding and drilling on the bracket....you could leave the fender chrome and just paint the bracket portion.  The Gold Wing fender would definitely be the best at keeping the water spray controlled.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 02/01/16 at 09:37:23

I would start with the Kawa fender, add a mudflap like MM did to his stock fender, and maybe enclose the sides a bit (always did like full fenders on a bike) and have lots o protection

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #18 - 12/03/16 at 11:39:17

The ears to mount the Kawasaki fender are somewhat wider than the S40 ears. Can a sheet metal guy make the 2 bends on each ear to be easily able to slide it into position? You can see I have a clamp squeezing the fender together to be able to slide the fender between the fork legs. I don't want to risk scratching the fender after I get it powder coated? I know my hands are not strong enough to squeeze the fender between the forks and get the bolts started.

Kenny G

IMG_0679_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 12/04/16 at 04:53:23

The Kawasaki fender is about 1/4" wider than the stock fender....so each side only needs to come in 1/8".

Cut a piece (or pieces) of wood that fit snugly inside the fender at the top of the mounting brackets - so that the wood maintains the fender width.  Then lay the fender on a flat workbench or floor, and use a piece of wood and a hammer at the mounting point - and narrow each side by the needed 1/8".  You most likely won't need to adjust the bottom side of the bracket as it won't be horribly out of square - but if you want to you could re-angle the bracket in a similar method by placing the inside of the bracket on a block of wood, and then place another block of wood on the outside a bit farther up on the bracket and hammer on the wood block to place a slight angle in the bracket.  It really won't take much to adjust the shape of the bracket.....the stock fender is 4-15/16"....the Kawasaki fender is 5-3/16".

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 12/04/16 at 04:58:41

The Kawasaki fender is about 1/4" wider than the stock fender....so each side only needs to come in 1/8".

Cut a piece (or pieces) of wood that fit snugly inside the fender at the top of the mounting brackets - so that the wood maintains the fender width.  Then lay the fender on a flat workbench or floor, and use a piece of wood and a hammer at the mounting point - and narrow each side by the needed 1/8".  You most likely won't need to adjust the bottom side of the bracket as it won't be horribly out of square - but if you want to you could re-angle the bracket in a similar method by placing the inside of the bracket on a block of wood, and then place another block of wood on the outside a bit farther up on the bracket and hammer on the wood block to place a slight angle in the bracket.  It really won't take much to adjust the shape of the bracket.....the stock fender is 4-15/16"....the Kawasaki fender is 5-3/16".

And....you might be able to get it all done at once by cutting the wood and placing it inside the top of the brackets, then cutting a wood block that fits inside the bracket at the mounting points that makes the bottom of the fender about 4-3/4"....the using screws pull the fender into the bottom block of wood - then use a hammer and wood block to make the needed angles.  The fender will likely spring back a little bit when you take the screw out.....so you might have to adjust the size of the bottom block a little bit.

If I can find time to do mine I will need to cut the blocks - and I could mail them to you once I get it done.  I am not sure if you can wait a week or two for me to cut, use and ship - as you are in the process of getting your fender painted.  (I won't need my fender for a year or more).

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #21 - 12/04/16 at 06:29:25

Dave,

Thank you.

I will try reforming the fender with wood blocks as you suggest.

I already have arrangements with A J to powder coat the fender this Tuesday 12/06.

I do appreciate your offer to send me the wood blocks.

Kenny G

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 12/04/16 at 11:51:34

I used a sportster front fender (older model)  I adapted the mounting by using the Suzuki fender and mig  welding sections of it under the harley fender. I shortened the blunt front of the fender and ground a round profile much like the zuk fender ,and slightly spread the square back at the bottom,which extends 6'' from the ground and 2 1/2 " below the stock pegs, to act like a mud flap. Wet boots and shins are a thing of the past as road spray hits neither. the sportster 's ran 19" wheels so the fender fits the tire well.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #23 - 12/08/16 at 17:40:31

Batman,

How much difficulty do you think it would be to adapt a Sportster rear fender to the rear of the Savage/S40?

Kenny G

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 12/08/16 at 20:02:30

Well the way I did it was to graft a full size Harley rear fender to the front of the stock fender ,about 12" of the stock to bolt to the frame,then weld/bolt the Harley fender to it ,placing the seam behind the shock . I don't have pics but I must admit I got my Idea from WD's bike,pics of his can be seen under "builds".You can cut the stock fender to save the first two bolt holes for the side braces ,you need them to reinforce the new fender as it is made of much thinner steel,but that's like using the Harley muffler you loose a few pounds . I don't think the sportster rear is wide enough.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #25 - 12/08/16 at 20:21:05

BatMan,

Thanks.

I don't want the full size Harley fender, I want to try to enhance the Sportster look that my S40 has. The way that you and WD welded the two fenders together may work for the Sportster fender too.

I will try to take some measurements the next time that I am at the Harley Shop.

Kenny G

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 12/08/16 at 20:37:08

I  believe the sportster fender isn't wide enough, the big Harley fender is the same as ours ,but you probably could cut the rear of it to get the look you want.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #27 - 12/08/16 at 22:05:28

BatMan,

American Eagle Harley in Corinth, Texas has free beer & free lunch along with a bikini bike wash every Saturday. I am usually there most Saturdays so I will take a tablet and tape measure and see what model Harley has a fender looks like it will be fairly easy to fit.

The Kawasaki front fender was a really easy fit.

Kenny G

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #28 - 12/09/16 at 10:58:40

I took a front fender off a HD touring bike and welded it to a short section of a stock rear fender to mount it on my bike. I am still looking at different options to make the front fender match the rear fender.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #29 - 12/09/16 at 12:06:30

Pics?