Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Front Fender Option
01/28/16 at 04:22:11

I am not sure this justifies a new post - but times are a bit slow and it might be useful to somebody looking for a front fender option.

I am going to be making a bike from a Theft Recovery I purchased, and the bike will be built for "touring" - and it will be geared to have long legs so it can cruise at 70 easily, a place to haul gear, and most likely a windshield.

One of the things I wanted was a bigger front fender to provide more control of water.  I just bought a KZ750 front fender, and it looks very promising.  The mounting holes need to be relocated a bit narrower, and the fender width between the forks is about 3/16" wider....I believe with a slight bend (or trimming a bit off the fork mounts), the fender will fit just fine.  The fender shape matches the 19" tire well, and the fender is considerably longer and extends down and forward several more inches than the stock fender.

There are several versions of KZ750 fender - but this is like the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191733747891?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...  

KZ750.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Front Fender Option
Reply #1 - 01/28/16 at 06:11:18

I am going to be making a bike from a Theft Recovery I purchased, and the bike will be built for "touring" - and it will be geared to have long legs so it can cruise at 70 easily, a place to haul gear, and most likely a windshield.

What did you purchase?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 01/28/16 at 06:24:23

Dave, That fender looks nice. The other day I thought about putting on a small mud flap, but it would have to be way too long to do any good. Measure the length of the new one compared to the old for comparison. How about a picture holding the new up against the stock on the bike.
I am thinking about building one out of fiberglass to look like a old Indian Chief. Maybe a 16" front rim off a Murader to match the rear.  A 100/90 16 should just fit. ( fingers crossed)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/28/16 at 06:24:50

A "parts" bike.....that is just a bit too nice to part out.  It is a 2002 that was stolen and recovered - but they tore it apart and it has a Salvage title.  It is in good shape, but was missing the entire fuel tank, keys, and a few bits.  It came with 2 engines, one was an early 4 speed and it had sat outside and had water in the cylinder - the 5 speed engine appears to be OK...but it will have the top end taken apart and put back together with a better cam and a 97mm piston.  I will do a build thread on it later this year....I most likely will just be gathering parts for it and work on it next winter.

IMG_1201.JPG

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 01/28/16 at 18:31:29

Hey Dave, I have another tank if you're interested, $80 shipped like I did for you last time if you're interested.
Pm me

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/28/16 at 20:51:45

Dave,

I would sure be interested in a longer front fender.

There is a company that makes extensions for front fenders for popular bikes.   http://shop.fendaextenda.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

As near as I can tell they do not make one for the Savage/S40.

I would like to be able to adapt one made for a different model.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 01/28/16 at 21:13:16

Hi Dave,

Here's what you need for a front fender.  Notice the built-in mud flap. It's for a 19" wheel. It might be a good bit wider though.  If you want, I'll see if I can measure mine and let you know how wide.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing-Front-Fender-Chrome-Gold-Wing-1977-197...

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #7 - 01/28/16 at 21:47:46

Steve,

I don't think you will have to measure your fender, as a Gold Wing front tire is a monster compared to the tire on my S40.

I am anxious to see how Dave makes out with his fender adaptation.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 01/29/16 at 04:24:49

I am interested too.  I like the way the goldwing fender comes down low in the back and goes well around over the top. It controls water and junk being thrown up very well. That fits a 40 year old wing.  They weren't as big and heavy then but the tire is still wider.

It'll be good to see how far the KZ fender comes down and over.
Hope it isn't too bad to mount.

Looks like Dave's got a good project there and some interesting ideas for it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/29/16 at 04:43:19

A neighbor of mine has an early Goldwing in parts.....I will go borrow his fender and make a trial fit for you guys, and take some photos.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/31/16 at 04:35:02

I was able to take some pictures yesterday to see what fender works.

Here is the stock fender.

Here is the Kawasaki  Fender  I have marked the stock fender locations on the tire with green tape, and the Kawasaki fender location with blue tape.

The fender width works very well without any bending of the bracket.

The early Honda Goldwing fender is shown below.  The bracket is too wide and will take quite a bit of bending to make it work.  The holes in the bracket also are not going to work and drilling new holes in the bracket are not going to work well and you will have to make a bracket to attach the lower fender brace to the forks.  And since the forks are at a lower angle than the Goldwing forks, the back of the fender wraps a long way down on the tire.  You can make this fender work and it certainly will offer good protection -  think the Kawasaki fender will be much easier.

TINYPIC has gone down.....I will post a photo as soon as I can sign back on.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #11 - 01/31/16 at 05:15:51

Dave, You have made a great find there. It keeps the same ''look'' as stock, but with what 3'' - 4'' more coverage both ways. Ahhh another little way to improve our bikes. (spend more money)

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 01/31/16 at 05:19:05

Badwolf, you are correct.  But, I have to admit I like Bot's mudflap!   Smiley

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 01/31/16 at 05:37:01

The G/W fender is quite low, but it might keep our feet & lower legs dryer when riding on wet pavement. Perhaps a small mud flap added to the kaw fender....

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #14 - 01/31/16 at 07:42:00

Dave,

I am going to try to round up the Kawasaki front fender. From your posting it looks like an easy fit.....

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 16:54:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Fender Option

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.