Front Fender Option (Read 925 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Front Fender Option
Reply #45 - 12/15/16 at 06:32:26

I guess I'm with that young whippersnapper  Ditz,pointy end to the front,I'll be 70 in June

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #46 - 12/15/16 at 06:36:16

Kenny:

Want to write a new Chapter on fenders?

I think the Honda CB250 Nighthawk fender would most likely be more in line with what you wanted for a fender.  It is nearly straight across in the front and back.  It will mount pretty easily and matches the Savage front tire size well - you just need to shorten the mounts and weld a new piece of metal between the uprights for mounting it to the Savage.

You can find them from $20 to $80 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-Honda-CB250-CB-250-Nighthawk-front-fender-/2724596...

hondacb250Fender.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #47 - 12/15/16 at 06:55:04

Dave,

The CB 250 Nighthawk fender is cool looking, but I am looking at it and I don't think it comes down as far in the back as the Kawasaki fender does. The Kawasaki fender is starting to grow on me.

I am not sure if this is possible, but most of the ripples in the steel have kind of disappeared after the fender cooled for 24 hours.

I am trying to figure out if powder coating can be "Rubbed Out" like paint. The powder coat color isn't too bad but it is a whole lot glossier than the paint from Suzuki.

The two voters so far are Junior Citizens and I don't think they are old enough yet to have an opinion.

Once I achieved a certain level of maturity I found that I have an opinion on everything. LOL

Never  Undecided

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #48 - 12/15/16 at 07:01:48

Kenny:

The CB250 fender is longer than the stock fender - but shorter than the Kawasaki fender.

The Kawasaki fender will do a better job of keeping the dirt and water off the front of the bike (and your feet and pant legs).

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #49 - 12/15/16 at 07:10:55

Dave,

I think I am going to settle on the Kawasaki fender and if I cannot figure out how to "Rub Out" the powder coat I will bite the bullet and pay to have it painted.

If I cannot make the Kawasaki fender look good, I think I will try to develop a really cool mud flap for the Suzuki factory fender.

I really want to keep the dirt and water off of the engine and my feet, which was the object of this project, and the Kawasaki fender will accomplish this.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #50 - 12/15/16 at 08:18:46

I just got a quote for the paint, reducers, etc. to paint the front fender to actually match the Pearl Mirage code YUK

$250.00, and we still have do the spraying.......YPA

That option is now off of the table.

I am going to learn how to rubout the powder and give it a good coat of Johnson's Paste Wax, and pronounce it "Job Well Done"

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 12/15/16 at 20:41:29 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 12/15/16 at 10:20:25

FWIW, I'd vote for pointy end forward... better splash protection. Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 12/15/16 at 12:52:11

I'm with Dave.  That cb250 fender shows a lot of promise and a nice find by Dave.  I might be up for one but I'm probably not messing with fender until summer.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 12/15/16 at 13:33:00

That CB250 fender is a good fit for the 100/90-19 or 100/90-18 tire.

I use and recommend a much smaller 90/90-18 or 100/80-18 tire for the Cafe' conversion - and the CB and most other fenders have too big of a radius to fit well with the smaller diameter tire.  (I am going to go to a Honda CB175 fender - but I have to get the chrome stripped before I can paint it).

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #54 - 12/15/16 at 14:37:24

Dave,

I think bead blasting the chrome will work for painting. It may be cheaper than having a plater strip the chrome from the fender.

I have had powder coating done over chrome with just bead blasting.

Kenny G

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #55 - 12/16/16 at 08:04:40

Another possibility for stripping chrome is ferric chloride for etching circuit boards. I know this from working in a circuit board factory. It will take stainless down to the bare steel too. Heating it up makes it work faster.

http://www.allelectronics.com/item/er-3/dry-concentrated-etchant/1.html

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 12/16/16 at 08:11:36

Kenny G wrote on 12/15/16 at 14:37:24:
Dave,

I think bead blasting the chrome will work for painting. It may be cheaper than having a plater strip the chrome from the fender.

I have had powder coating done over chrome with just bead blasting.

Kenny G

I will need to weld up a hole or two, and also do some welding on the brackets....and chrome plating does funky stuff to the welds.

For what I am doing, I believe having the chrome stripped is the best approach.  It is a problem finding someone local that can strip the chrome for me.

However - I do appreciate the thoughts for etching the chrome...it could work if I want to powder coat the chain guards, tool box cover, etc.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #57 - 12/16/16 at 08:19:44

Somebody once did me wrong in a bad way. For his efforts he found the front bumper of his caddy missing half of it's chrome. That was just cold ferric chloride from a water gun.
I plan on using this on my bike this spring. The belt guard and battery box chrome looks like crap.
I tried using the black chrome spray paint on it and that came out terribly on the belt guard. Looked great on the grab bars though which I used for a test since they've been permanently removed from my bike. I think the thicker chrome on the grab bars works better with that paint than the thin chrome on the sheet metal parts. IDK

Anyway, when I get back to it I'm going to strip the belt guard and battery box with the acid and then have them along with the rest of the bike painted eggshell white.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 12/19/16 at 04:24:38

I was able to get the CB250 Nighthawk fender modified over the weekend.  It is is a pretty easy fender to adapt.

You need to cut off about 3-1/8" off the fender mount, then weld on a piece of 1" wide steel flat across the bottom.  I cut off 3" and the new holes ended up a little closer to the top....so 3-1/8" would work a bit better.

Here is the fender mounted, and I have marked the ends with green tape on the tire so it can be compared to the Kawasaki and stock Savage Fender.  The fender doesn't wrap over the sides of the tire much.....it is very similar to what a Sportster fender looks like.  There are 2 hole where a rubber cable guide plugs into the fender, and it is too low to be of any use on the Savage (speedo cable on the CB250) - those holes will have to be welded closed.

Here is the Kawasaki fender.  It is a bit longer, and it also has more fender wrapping around the side of the tire than the CB250 fender.  (It would provide more protection in the rain).

Here is the Savage fender, and the green tape on the tire is the CB250 fender, the blue tape is the Kawasaki fender.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #59 - 12/19/16 at 06:12:50

Dave,

The CB fender looks good.

We had heavy fog and dew Friday night here in North Texas. Saturday morning when I rode to the American Eagle Harley Shop for the free lunch and Bikini Bike Wash the roads were wet. The Kawasaki Fender did a good job of keeping the front of the engine and my boots clean.

The CB fender does look better though. My next attempt will be a mud flap from The U K on my stock Suzuki fender.

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 12/19/16 at 10:46:31 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:14:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Fender Option

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.