Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 61
Send Topic Print
Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris (Read 15390 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Android vs Windows 10
Reply #195 - 06/18/16 at 08:41:49

Art Webb wrote on 06/12/16 at 08:06:15:
I'll have to hunt that disk up
when I try to play a movie the 'fbi warning' you always see before a movie comes up, then it just stays on the screen and nothing else happens

Try a music CD.... or a different movie DVD, if you are using a standard movie disc, try a blue ray....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #196 - 06/18/16 at 09:18:13

Well, because Art is attempting to find his mint disc, I went looking for mine and was going to try to use mint 17 (32bit) on my win 10 machine.

Guess what? I cannot even get this machine to open the disc on startup.

I even went into my bios settings and disabled "secure boot" so that I could load anything I wanted. Still a NO GO....

The disc works, I have it up and running on my little 14" laptop right now....

So, I guess I am going to have to call HP and find out why they are blocking me from using another Operating system on MY machine....

I purchased this HARDWARE and it is MINE to use as I see fit.... I paid cash for it and can load ANY operating system I desire.

If I have to I will yank the hard drive and put a new one in and load up mint on it and change them out as needed.... but man that will really torque my lower left one.

I really do need to build a gaming machine though, and might start purchasing parts one a month or so....

I wonder if win 10 will even let me make a boot disc for mint??

Guess I will have to try Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #197 - 06/18/16 at 10:15:43

Did you check the settings for ''boot order''? It may not be set to boot from disc. Simple to check & change to boot from disc first.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #198 - 06/18/16 at 10:24:35

It is set to boot to CD first...

I even hear and feel the CD spin up...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #199 - 06/18/16 at 11:46:16

old_rider wrote on 06/18/16 at 10:24:35:
It is set to boot to CD first...

I even hear and feel the CD spin up...

Is your Mint disc an ISO file?...
It sounds like your Bios is trying to boot to it, but not finding a bootable file...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #200 - 06/18/16 at 13:16:50

I'd be finding Something that would respond to a Boot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #201 - 06/18/16 at 13:57:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/18/16 at 13:16:50:
I'd be finding Something that would respond to a Boot.

It would be much more satisfying to find someone from MS to BOOT!

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #202 - 06/18/16 at 15:53:30

Ohhh, the idea is just delicious!
I nominate Bill Gates.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #203 - 06/19/16 at 05:15:57

old_rider wrote on 06/18/16 at 09:18:13:

Well, because Art is attempting to find his mint disc, I went looking for mine and was going to try to use mint 17 (32bit) on my win 10 machine.

Guess what? I cannot even get this machine to open the disc on startup.

I even went into my bios settings and disabled "secure boot" so that I could load anything I wanted. Still a NO GO....

The disc works, I have it up and running on my little 14" laptop right now....

So, I guess I am going to have to call HP and find out why they are blocking me from using another Operating system on MY machine....

I purchased this HARDWARE and it is MINE to use as I see fit.... I paid cash for it and can load ANY operating system I desire.

If I have to I will yank the hard drive and put a new one in and load up mint on it and change them out as needed.... but man that will really torque my lower left one.

I really do need to build a gaming machine though, and might start purchasing parts one a month or so....

I wonder if win 10 will even let me make a boot disc for mint??

Guess I will have to try Smiley

Sad

Good luck with that -- you have allowed MS to build up the walls of their walled garden on your machine to the point now that they have become PRISON WALLS and you are locked up inside them.

You can try to break down the walls with a pure basic ......

format c:/s

..... but here is the rub -- the /s extension (install basic booting only) installs EFI Secure Boot right on the new drive's boot partition.     AND if you have bought a new HP machine, the EFI Secure Boot is on a Bios Eprom chip that is started before the machine even tries to find your boot drive or disc or flash drive.

Microsoft intends to own your ass --- and they have made some serious moves to do so.

Go to the web and look around --- some folks have "bootable" fix it CDs that lack the current lock in parts that can get you started.  

But if you install a Windows version you can expect MS to put it all back on your machine at night pretty quickly.

Sad

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #204 - 06/19/16 at 05:24:41

My wife is trying now out Win 10 on Grandma's machine to see if she can live with it --- My wife is not a very happy camper right now, my very pretty generally happy wife.   Her mother, alias Grandma, hit the Win 10 software and gave up on computers completely because it is "all too confusing for me".

First words out of my wife's mouth were "I want your machine" so I told her she could go use it and try it out --- but she quickly found there is no MS showing on it anywhere and she is lost without her familiar world (even as slow and awkward as a MS operating system is to use).

She's like you, mentally captured by MS (and a large unwillingness to try anything strange or new).

Sad part is this is the old Dell machine I set up EXACTLY like her old MS machine so she could use it when she needed to -- even set up LibreOffice to default save to her school's exact same format to make that part a no-brainer.   She can get on the machine and navigate around and find her dropbox and open her stuff up but she hits up on lots of little road blocks that throw her off her stride when she attempts to do some work.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #205 - 06/19/16 at 05:44:45

Old_Rider,

Is it a DVD drive?   Gotta watch out, Mint went to DVDs several years ago when the software grew too big and all the discs are DVDs for any of those "most modern" versions.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #206 - 06/19/16 at 07:50:19

old_rider wrote on 06/18/16 at 08:41:49:
Art Webb wrote on 06/12/16 at 08:06:15:
I'll have to hunt that disk up
when I try to play a movie the 'fbi warning' you always see before a movie comes up, then it just stays on the screen and nothing else happens

Try a music CD.... or a different movie DVD, if you are using a standard movie disc, try a blue ray....

First thing I did was try a movie I had watched the prior day with no problems
I don't hear the disk spin up :/
still can't find that disk, it's one of those "I'll put it here so I'll know wher it is" "where the f*** did I PUT that motherf*****?" deals

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #207 - 06/19/16 at 11:58:44

You looked in the movie's disk carrier?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #208 - 06/19/16 at 20:37:27

Microsoft forum answer:

The problem is most likely that your newer PC uses UEFI, not BIOS, and the install media you made for Linux uses BIOS, not UEFI.
You generally can change the UEFI so it boots into Legacy mode, but that would mean that you would not then be able to run Win10 since it was installed in UEFI mode.

I'll be looking into that tomorrow..... ain't playing with it tonight...cause I tend to cuss at the machine when it don't do what I want, and momma's asleep and has to get up early Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #209 - 06/20/16 at 02:32:54

http://liliputing.com/2016/06/android-apps-chromebook-video.html

The very first of the Android using Chromebook laptops from the big suppliers are starting to ship now.   Google has done something neat since it is DEFINED HARDWARE that is used on each type of Chromebook -- when you go to the Play Store to get Android Apps the apps that will not work with your hardware (lack of touchscreen, motion sensor, GPS sort of stuff) are grayed out so you don't try to buy them.

Moral of this story is that if you swing cheap on buying your Android wielding Chromebook and don't get good hardware, your recommended choices in the Play Store will get cropped accordingly ......

This will also play if you go pure Android on the laptop ..... but since it will be "an open game" in Android nobody is going to be watching out for you like Google does on the Chromebooks.

Do not be surprised that mostly powerful ARM based "full featured system on a chip" mobile chipsets that are getting used in these Android using Chromebooks as the Android Apps do actually use all the built in "system on a chip" mobile features.    

Intel lacks these features at this point in time.

Roll Eyes     Roll Eyes     Roll Eyes     Roll Eyes     ..... you can hear poor ol Intel jest a whimpering in the background as they ain't got no mobile capable chipsets ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 61
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 06:46:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.