New Tire Choices (Read 3426 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: New Tire Choices
Reply #30 - 01/16/16 at 07:32:40

I have the Metzler 880  140/90-15 on the back. I bought it because it had the highest rating for riding on rain soaked roads.

I can attest, it was a big difference that the stock tire.

I also noticed, the little wiggle I would get when I changed lanes, or rode over a seam in the asphalt, disappeared, the tire just smoothed it out.

Yep, it's more, but falling in the rain is a lot more....

I am closing in on 10,000 miles on it. I haven't noticed any flat spots bot talks about.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #31 - 01/16/16 at 07:42:58

you'll only get a flattened center if you ride in straight lines a lot, and from what I've heard, 10k is less than 1/2 the life expectancy on an 880 on a Savage

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 01/16/16 at 08:51:16

Art Webb wrote on 01/16/16 at 07:42:58:
you'll only get a flattened center if you ride in straight lines a lot, and from what I've heard, 10k is less than 1/2 the life expectancy on an 880 on a Savage

I am not sure you have much of a choice.....unless you stay on the country roads.  The more traveled State and Federal roads where I live have long straight sections between the corners.

So far the only way I can keep from getting the flat spot down the middle, is to buy tires that have a harder center rubber compound on the rear tire.....and I haven't found a Cruiser style tire that is made that way.  (They make Sport Touring and Sport tires with the dual compounds).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #33 - 01/16/16 at 21:21:51

Wake turbulence from Old Feller. Hmmm, had not considered that. Definite possibility. OK, maybe the Pirelli is not such a bad tire. Roll Eyes

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 01/17/16 at 05:14:51

One thing that I believe folks need to consider when choosing a tire, is how they ride.  If you cruise around enjoying the scenery, you seldom ride aggressively, and you only ride when it is dry.......you can probably get away with using a harder rubber compound (high mileage tire) - or one that is very affordable.....or a tire that is several years old.

If you are riding curves aggressively, pushing your limits and chasing Oldfeller and MMRanch around in the mountains....you most likely would be better off with a tire that has a softer rubber compound and a bit more "stickiness".

I don't ride a lot of miles each year....maybe 2,000 on each bike.  Therefore I buy tires that are pretty sticky, and I plan on replacing them every 3-5 years.  I have been riding my 2002 rescue bike on the stock IRC tires that are 14 years old....and they work just fine unless I try to corner a bit briskly.....then they turn the bike into a "Drifter" (which is not a way that I enjoy going around corners).

If you are like Raydawg, MMRanch, Youzguyz and put a lot of miles on your bike each year - then spending money on the high mileage tires makes a lot of sense, as you will wear it out before the rubber turns hard.  For those of use who ride a few thousand miles each year - then the more affordable tires are probably a better choice.

Next tires on the Rescue bike will be the Shinko 230, and on my Cafe' bike I run the stickiest tires I can find - either the Pirelli Sport Demons or the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 for a bit longer tread life (next set I might try some Avon RoadRider tires).

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #35 - 01/17/16 at 07:15:50

Dave, I think you explained the rubber component of a tire about as good as anyone can, thanks.
I wonder if you should address tread pattern?

Here is a C&P of a goggled article:

Tread Pattern and Compound

Tread pattern is the outer part of the tire and in contact with the road. The profile of a tire and the rubber compound chosen is based on the use of the tire. Generally, street motorcycle tires with a harder rubber compound get better gas mileage but don’t stick to the road as well. The softer the rubber compound, the grippier a tire is, at the sacrifice of gas mileage.

Tread has everything to do with the circumstances you’ll be driving in most. A treadless racing slick will stick to the road like glue but is useless in the rain. Tread is needed for traction in wet conditions. That’s why off-road tires have a very high tread. It enables them to maintain traction in the mud and deal with the adverse geography of off-road riding.

Tread builds up heat within a tire and reduces its effectiveness. An all-round tire has a light tread with a medium-hard compound base. This arrangement allows it to travel many miles without breaking down fast and provides stability in varying conditions.

And one final but EXTREMELY important thing to remember about tires, they are all pretty useless if not inflated to, and maintained religiously, at the proper PSI.
Keep a pocket gauge clipped to the bike, or body, where you can readily check, as you do your fuel. If you keep it in your tool box, like I use to, I would use the excuse, Next time, well I almost didn't get a next time, as I got so complacent I almost rolled it off the rim in the first hard turn one morning....
Yes, I should have been more in tune with my bike, I should have caught the "softness" upon the way she was tracking, etc.
Remember, most of us have a 4 wheel mindset with much larger tire air capacity tires, a few pounds low in one of the four will not have the same effect and consequences as one of two... as volume is the critical component. It may seem like no big deal, two pounds low, percentage wise, it is HUGE.

Tires are, in a sense, our life line to a safe ride, it really is the most important element of our ride after our mental readiness.

Thanks for a great topic Dave, this is why SSC rocks!  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #36 - 01/17/16 at 07:35:07

Gotta second Ray on that one, though I don't practice what i preac as much as I should
Tire pressure should be checked every morning on a bike

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #37 - 01/17/16 at 12:09:50

I prefer more pressure in the rear than what Suzuki recommends. I forget their number but I like at least 35 psi. The bike feels a lot less squirrelly with more air.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #38 - 01/19/16 at 10:59:21

I agree, very good explanation Dave. Thanks.

I ride with my Shinko 712 on the rear and the Pirelli Route 66 on the front inflated to the Suzuki recommendation printed on the bike. Most of my riding is straight line neighborhood streets and high speed (65-75 mph) high way on all sorts of road surface. My bike does not squirm on the squiggly lined concrete and seems to be pretty stable. I can vouch for the Shinko 712 rear tire and will probably use it again unless I decide to try the Kenda Kruz. But I am starting to ponder my options for the front tire replacement. Has anybody used the Shinko 712 on the front?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #39 - 01/19/16 at 11:24:13

Quote:
 Has anybody used the Shinko 712 on the front?

I've had one on my bike for about 3K miles so far. Got no complaints. It's fine. I've also got a 712 on the rear. I'm satisfied with it also.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 01/19/16 at 11:29:37

springman wrote on 01/19/16 at 10:59:21:
But I am starting to ponder my options for the front tire replacement. Has anybody used the Shinko 712 on the front?

I would try the Shinko 230.....it has very good reviews. (In fact I will be trying it front/rear on the Rescue bike).
http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/shinko-230-tour-master...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 01/19/16 at 11:59:04

I got the shinko 230's for the beast but needed a smaller front so I have a different one on the front.
90/90-19 and 130/90-15
I'll have to double check which ones I ended up with.
but they did well at the dragon last summer.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #42 - 01/19/16 at 15:32:58

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I ask about the 712 in the front because I have read some reviews that indicates it follows the grooves in the road, that is it will squirm. The 230 sounds like it might be a good choice as it appears to be a softer, maybe stickier rubber compound. So yeah, I am considering the 230 or possibly the Kenda Kruz. I think I still have plenty of rubber on the Pirelli for the time being but I need to see how old it is.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 01/20/16 at 01:26:11

A tire with an irregular (or no) center groove will follow joints and cut lines in the pavement less than one with a straight center rib.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #44 - 01/20/16 at 11:37:28

Dave wrote on 01/20/16 at 01:26:11:
A tire with an irregular (or no) center groove will follow joints and cut lines in the pavement less than one with a straight center rib.

Yep, that is the way I understand it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:28:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tire Choices

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.