New Tire Choices (Read 3423 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: New Tire Choices
Reply #15 - 11/20/15 at 10:50:32

I think I'm the only member who recommended the Pirellis, and that was based on rider reports on another site, not my own experience
Youzguyz report has me wondering now if I should not recomend these tires, since I've not used them myself
I have the stock IRC on the front, and it's garbage
Any member on here that did the Sisters or Dragon 1 this year can tell you I am NOT a fast rider in the twisties, at least on this bike
While Verslagen rode my bike after I wrecked on the sisters and proclaimed it good, (thanks again Versy!) I feel a wobble from the front tire every time I get it leaned over a fair bit (I do not scrape pegs, or even come close to it) and I'm sure it did so before the crash, too On the rear I have the Shinko 712, a much better tire IMO
some members have reported this tire doesn't stick well in the wet, but I haven't had issues with that so far (although I slow down a LOT IN THE WET)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 11/20/15 at 14:06:16

Serowbot wrote on 11/20/15 at 08:05:45:
Metzler 880  140/90-15  $147.99    110/90/19  $128.89

High mileage tire...

High mileage has it's price... expensive, heavy, and tread is thick, this will likely wear a bigger flat spot in the canter before tire life is used up, so it's a better highway tire than a canyon cutter...

I've never owned one,.. but my buddy did.
They will go 20k miles, but do wear square...

Serowbot:  Will the 110/90-19 tire fit under a stock fender?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 11/20/15 at 14:46:58

Sold the bike, so...  I can't check, but I didn't see a 100/90 listed...
So I assumed...
The bike did have a stock fender,... it was Gerry Hughes bike...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 11/21/15 at 05:28:21

I have a 110 on the front and it will NOT fit under the stock front fender. I think I saw a report on here somewhere that someone had one that did. Might be a manufacturer related thing.
My bike didn't have the front fender when I got it.  I got a front fender from one of the very nice people on here and have tried to get it on over the tire and it will not go. When the front tire begins to wear, I plan to switch to the right size and get my fender on so I don't get a skunk stripe in the front anymore.  The front throws stuff up all the time without the fender.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 11/21/15 at 12:13:44

I was able to get the 140/90-15 Dunlop D404 tire and wheel mounted on the bike today and go for a little ride before the rain started.  I did notice some difference from the 140/80-15 stock IRC tire....but on a short 50 degree ride I couldn't learn a lot.  With the stock tire the speedometer matched the GPS speed exactly....now the speedo shows 60mph and the GPS shows 63.  The saddlebag brackets have some standard bolts on them in place of the original ones that had a high hex and a round area under the hex....and the tire did not rub on my 10 mile lap around the neighborhood.  I did notice the bike felt a bit taller in the back, and I was sliding forward in the seat a bit more.  The handling is must a bit slower - but nothing to worry about and MMRanch has a 140/90-15 Michelin Commander and goes like the wind.....so you just put a little bit more effort in the steering and it will corner just as quickly as before.  I didn't do any full throttle riding....I am sure it slowed the bike down a tad...the stock IRC 140/80-15 tire and wheel weighed 25.6 pounds, the Dunlop 140/90-15 tire and wheel weighed 31.0 pounds, and I was surprised when I weighed the Pirelli Sport Demon 110/80-18 from my Cafe bike....with an aluminum rim and it weighed 26.2 pounds.  I guess the larger diameter requires more weight even though is is much narrower.

Bottom line for me.....the 140/90-15 works fine.  If you ride a lot of highway, it will be a suitable size....maybe not better for you if you mostly ride country back roads and like to quickly carve the curves

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 11/22/15 at 01:04:33

Dave wrote on 11/21/15 at 12:13:44:
Bottom line for me.....the 140/90-15 works fine.  If you ride a lot of highway, it will be a suitable size....maybe not better for you if you mostly ride country back roads and like to quickly carve the curves  

Also for those who ride in the big city a lot, it might work out better.  I like being able to roam around without having to shift out of second gear.  This bike is really spry in second.  

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 11/22/15 at 08:02:46

Art Webb wrote on 11/20/15 at 10:50:32:
I think I'm the only member who recommended the Pirellis, and that was based on rider reports on another site, not my own experience
Youzguyz report has me wondering now if I should not recomend these tires, since I've not used them myself

I'm running the Pirellis front and rear and have no complaints. They are much better than the stock IRCs (which were garbage to begin with). I don't ride in the wet if I can help it so I can't judge these tires in that department. On dry pavement they've never let me down (literally!  Grin) I decided to go with the 140/90 in the rear. I HIGHLY recommend doing so!

Dave wrote on 11/21/15 at 12:13:44:

I ride mostly country back roads. The 140/90 is a great tire there too. It probably doesn't handle as well as a shorter sidewall 140/80 but I think the difference, for me, is negligible. I checked the speedometer against a bicycle computer with the 140/80 and the 140/90, and the 140/90 seems to be dead accurate. Obviously there are manufacturer differences in tire size. I think I read somewhere a million years ago that manufacturers are allowed by law to deviate up to 7% of listed dimensions.  Huh

140/90-15 should be 24.92" tall. If what I said above is true then it could potentially range from 24.22"-25.6". I'm sure better brands have tighter QC and build their products accordingly.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 11/22/15 at 08:36:06

Not really much difference between a 140/80 and a 140/90, I think the 130/90 would be a more noticeable difference, as it's narrower
Section width I think has more to do with ease of tip in than sidewall height
I've not done a 190 on my Savage, but as I've mentioned before, I've taken other bike from '+1' sizing to stack and the diference, to me, is very noticeable
since the S40 is over tired IMO, I intend to try '-1' sizing and see if I like that better, I tend to have a gentle touch at the bars
Of course going -1 on fromt with +1 on the rear would likely cause some dramatic handling  Grin, so I'm not too sure about that
How long's it take to wear a Shinko 712 out?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 01/15/16 at 05:05:22

Here is a link to a tire discussion by Bike Bandit.  it supports a lot of the opinions we have about the narrow/wider tire choices, as well as mounting a tire that is not all that "fresh".  (Funny thing is that Bike Bandit doesn't store tires - they send an order to a tire wholesaler and it is shipped directly to you.....and they sent me a 3 year old tire when I ordered one for the ST1100 - which I sent back and they sent me a fresher one that was only 4 months old).

http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/the-7-toughest-motorcycle-tire-faqs?roi=e...

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #24 - 01/15/16 at 13:12:52

Well youzguyz, now that you mention you are not too keen on the Pirelli Route 66 front tire, I think I will blame the tire for my fall in Tennesee. Thanks.

I'm on my second Shinko 712 on the rear and as best I can tell it is a great tire for the price. The first one I replaced at about 8k miles, not because it was worn out, but because I figured it only had a couple of thousand miles left on it and did not know how much we were going to ride at the 3 Twisted Sisters ride. Yes, I wanted good rubber for the ride.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #25 - 01/15/16 at 17:26:00

when I traded in my S40, the dealer mentioned that they would have to replace the front tire to pass inspection (yup, it was time for that) so I'm gonna blame my crash on the Sisters on that  Grin
btw, smaller wheels also make for a bike that transitions sort of abruptly, I tried my new favorite twisty bit today and the scootanic dropped into the curves almost too easily

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #26 - 01/15/16 at 19:17:58

springman wrote on 01/15/16 at 13:12:52:
Well youzguyz, now that you mention you are not too keen on the Pirelli Route 66 front tire, I think I will blame the tire for my fall in Tennesee. Thanks.

I have the Route 66 front and rear and love it. Quiet, comfortable, holds the road, doesn't wander, etc. I have no complaints.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #27 - 01/15/16 at 21:03:15

Hey Kris, what is this? Are you trying to make me look bad? Youzguyz said it's a bad tire, so it's a bad tire. Let's just leave it at that. Geeez! Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #28 - 01/15/16 at 21:33:19

Ok, when you go down, you gotta blame something. Let's say it was the tire!  Grin

...or wind sheer, or the sun was in your eyes, or...  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 01/16/16 at 05:42:12

Kris01 wrote on 01/15/16 at 21:33:19:
Ok, when you go down, you gotta blame something. Let's say it was the tire!  Grin

...or wind sheer, or the sun was in your eyes, or...  Grin

I think it was wake turbulence or prop wash from Oldfeller!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/19/24 at 00:17:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tire Choices

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.