Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I am not getting a Spark (Read 267 times)
BikeNovice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I am not getting a Spark
10/15/15 at 21:53:10

I was riding down the highway going 70 mph when all of a sudden felt like I had ran out of fuel.  I coasted to the side and the engine felt like getting very little power.  once the bike stalled I was unable to start and ran down the battery trying.  

I have changed the spark plug, cleaned the carburetor,  cleaned the petcock. (the gas does not flow in on or reserve but does in prime) cleaned the air filter, even changed the ignition coil and still no spark.  I tested the wire and was not getting a reading.

I have also checked the kick stand switch  

I am running out of options any recommendations

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I am not getting a Spark
Reply #1 - 10/15/15 at 22:06:13

d ran down the battery trying

What did you do about that?
What's the battery voltage when the starter is running?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BikeNovice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/15/15 at 22:09:21

I had it charged at auto zone for about an hour and then left the trickle charger on over night.  

I am not for sure how to check the voltage meter or which one I am suppose to be using

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 10/15/15 at 22:21:49

Don't pull the plug, get a plug, connect to the plug wire, hold against engine, crank..
Volt meter on starter motor connection and a ground,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/15/15 at 22:26:33

Quote:
(the gas does not flow in on or reserve but does in prime)

The petcock turns on when the engine is running.
But if you vac line is bad it will shut off anyway.
In the tech section index there's a listing for testing your petcock and repair.

Once you run down the battery by running the starter too long, there's not enough power to create a spark.

You also risk burning up your starter.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 10/16/15 at 04:14:20

It is my understanding that if any of the safeties or the kill switch have been activated, the engine will not turn over until said problem is corrected.  

If this is correct and the engine turns over when you hit the start button, all your safeties and kill switch are fine. Your problem is elsewhere.

Is there any power on either side of your coil. The coil should be hot and is grounded by the transistor in the ignition box to create the spark.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/16/15 at 08:44:47

Don't go hunting gremlins in the wiring harness until you Know what the battery voltage is under load.
And make sure you didn't bump the kill switch during all of this.

IP Logged
BikeNovice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/16/15 at 11:46:12

This is awesome and overwhelming at the same time.  How do you test the voltage meter?  I want to make sure that it is working.  The reason I say this is i get zero reading from the battery when it was showing a reading seconds before.  When the ignition is on the lights are bright so I don't understand how I am getting a zero reading.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/16/15 at 18:57:10

On the side where the starter is, the wire that goes to the starter, and up, to the left, is where the ground is. I hope you have a friend or slip on clips for the meter. I don't even know where to begin to find those anymore. Our Radio Shacks closed... both of them..
Anyway, when you hit the starter,,check the voltage between the hot wire at the starter and the ground. Or, you can go across the battery, there are a buncha ways to check, but that's the two easiest ways I know.
Another thing that is easy to do is as soon as you let go of the starter button, feel around for any hot connections. The ground on the engine is electrically just as important as the hot connection to the battery. Well, dang near it. If it feels warmer after a try at starting than before, take it loose and clean it up. Since you have a meter, you could set it on Ohms and test it.
If you have never had a meter, I bet you could learn a lot from a YouTube or two.
Be careful about connecting to voltage when it's set to read Ohms. Can kill a meter,  I don't know if that applies to digital, but the old analogs would leak smoke.

I can't remember if there is a connector under the tank that will allow it to crank over, but not start.

You do understand the part about the spark plug against the engine, right?
If you do pull the plug, blow the dirt out from around it first.
IF the electronics are okay, But, the battery is less than optimal, then, with the plug out, the starter motor isn't loading the battery much, and the plug might spark.
A plug held against the engine, while the spark plug is IN the engine, will show you if the battery and ignition system will fire the plug while the battery is being challenged by spinning over the motor.
It's not impossible that you've just lived through the death of a spark plug.
You did say it felt like it was trying to run, losing power, but now, no spark..

How do you know that there is no spark?
Have you shot anything into the intake? Ether, anything that burns,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/17/15 at 04:49:58

BikeNovice wrote on 10/16/15 at 11:46:12:
This is awesome and overwhelming at the same time.  How do you test the voltage meter?  I want to make sure that it is working.  The reason I say this is i get zero reading from the battery when it was showing a reading seconds before.  When the ignition is on the lights are bright so I don't understand how I am getting a zero reading.

Most meters have an internal battery, and if it goes dead you don't get any reading.  If your meter has a ohm setting to measure resistance, try and see if it shows 0 resistance when you touch the probes together.  Meters sit in the drawer a long time, and years pass before need them again.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/17/15 at 21:18:04

And left on in ohms position will kill the battery, in hours. Never leave on on unless you're using it. I turn mine off and on many times in a project.

IP Logged
BikeNovice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/23/15 at 15:12:40

ok so checked the connection and cable from the kick start switch.  There is no constant flow of electricity when pushed in, more like a pulse.  Still No spark.  The question is does there have to be a constant flow of energy.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/23/15 at 15:18:10

should be constant on.
pulse no good.

WWW   IP Logged
BikeNovice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/23/15 at 18:48:03

I took the CDI to a shop to see if they could test.  I was told the only way to test is by eliminating everything else.  I was told that it sounded most likely to be the Pickup Coil.  How do you test the pickup coil and is it the one that has a silver case that goes from the case to under the gas tank?

IP Logged
BikeNovice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/23/15 at 18:56:16

verslagen1 if pulse is no good do you know what I should be checking?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 16:46:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I am not getting a Spark

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.