Why all the hate? (Read 186 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Why all the hate?
Reply #15 - 07/08/15 at 16:41:11

Sonny wrote on 07/08/15 at 08:49:37:
For many years I drove a '64 F100 pickup, three on the tree, with a clutch spring so hard that after an hour of stop and go traffic my left leg was trembling like a beaten dog.

Had an '89 F150 XLT Lariat 300 inline 6/5-speed at work like that. This truck barely had any paint. The interior was ripped and faded. The suspension virtually useless. The shifter would move probably a foot and a half before it engaged any gear. However, you couldn't kill it. It ran like a top. My left leg would shake like I had nerve problems from the clutch being so stiff. Best (and raggediest) truck we ever had!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #16 - 07/08/15 at 18:24:02

[quote author=7F465D470405340 link=1435091278/15#15 date=1436398871]Sonny wrote on 07/08/15 at 08:49:37:
Had an '89 F150 XLT Lariat 300 inline 6/5-speed at work like that. This truck barely had any paint. The interior was ripped and faded. The suspension virtually useless. The shifter would move probably a foot and a half before it engaged any gear. However, you couldn't kill it. It ran like a top. My left leg would shake like I had nerve problems from the clutch being so stiff. Best (and raggediest) truck we ever had!

I heard that. Driving them takes muscle and wrestling skill, but. They keep going. My three on the tree shifter finally got shot beyond repair, so I cut a hole in the trans hump and bolted in a floor shifter. When I got it for $600, the '64 was rusted all over and every part of the truck was loose and worn to Sanford&Son level. I half-heartedly sanded the worst of the rust, bought a gallon of white Rust-Oleum, mixed in 1/2 little bottle of blue Testor's model airplane enamel, and painted it with a brush. Robin's egg blue. One gallon came out perfect.

Then I just drove it and only tuned it and fixed what broke, which was never anything serious.

My truck had the Ford 223 straight 6. What a great mill. There was so much room under the hood that almost any kind of work was a pleasure. Everything fit the definition of "basic". The vehicle was designed to be owner serviced.

I hated parting with it, but at the time I had to up my image as a yard work and home repair guy. I got a used '95 Nissan Hardbody, a good truck itself which burned a bit less gas and looked sharper, but never had the character of the F-truck.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #17 - 07/08/15 at 18:31:50

Sonny wrote on 07/08/15 at 18:24:02:
The vehicle was designed to be owner serviced.

You can almost give up that dream these days.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #18 - 07/08/15 at 18:43:53

An old friend came thru town and showed me a Porsche Boxster he had bought for his girlfriend.

"Wow, lemme see the engine," I says.

"You can't. Everything has to be done from underneath with the car on a lift," he says.

"You are s&^%%ing me," I says.

No. He was serious.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 07/08/15 at 18:50:25

I think it may be Porsche that you have to jack up the engine to change the plugs.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/09/15 at 13:57:42

Work on a VW lately?

--Steve

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #21 - 07/15/15 at 06:45:43

govnor wrote on 07/02/15 at 22:49:07:
New cars suck for the most part.  A truck with a stick?  Forget it!  The last one I bought was a new 2007 (I think, may have been '06) Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl Prerunner with a 5 speed manual.  They also made the 4wd in manual.  I have a Tundra now and the auto trans had major problems before 100k miles.

In cars there are a few small sports cars that come with a REAL stickshift:  Scion is one...the tc and the frs which is a really cool car.  The Honda Civic Si comes ONLY in manual shift, which I think is great.  Mazda MX-5 (miata) still comes in a stick.  I own one of the old ones and it's lots of fun.  

I have read that the Chevy Colorado does come with a 6 speed manual (believe it when I see it).  They are supposed to be offering a 4 cyl diesel version and 4wd.  If that's the case I know what I want:  4 cylinder diesel, 6 speed manual 4wd, black on black!  Where do I place my order?

Love it!!!
My currenr ride is the 2009 Tacoma Prerunner - 4cyl, 5 speed.  Not as good on gas as I had hoped... but it sure gets the job done in every other dept.  Plan is to keep it going as long as possible.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 07/15/15 at 10:17:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/03/15 at 07:41:07:
Australia has some really nice little pickups. But, we can't get those, either.
And importing to them is awful , too. Sell an Aussie a modern bike and import tariffs will eat it up.

But, heres some of why we dont get what we want.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

I, too, just prefer a standard. I feel like im actually the equipment operator.

They've gotten around that, the Japanese makers just buy American trucks and rebadge them, or build them here
Toyota has, or had  plant here for decades, dunno if it's still here or not

On manuals: love them on Sports cars on back roads,love them on a truck when I'm pulling stumps or towing something, other than that, I am more than happy to never own one in a car ort truck again, I HATE driving in traffic, or on the freeway, with a manual, an auto is not only easier, it transmits less NVH, and makes for a more pleasant drive
If I want 'connectedness' with my vehicle, I'll get on the bike, when I'm in a cage, I want AC, power steering, cup holders, and no gears to shift
Also, on the slab, I want CRUISE CONTROL  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:21:03

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Why all the hate?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.