Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
does any one else have this (Read 456 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: does any one else have this
Reply #45 - 05/10/15 at 08:49:52

I just ordered a new air filter , my old one was installed in 2011.I don't think it was that bad ,but I thought you had a good idea.I went to the Suzuki dealership ,they wanted $42, I thought, I'll check ebay ,which I should have done first, $15 delivered.I'm hoping that helps. I'm going to do a before and after  gas mileage check.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 05/10/15 at 08:59:10

Valves need adjusted. Some more often than others. The adjuster is mild steel will a point like a dull pencil. Smacking into the valve stem repeatedly flattens, and work hardens, that pointy tip. Early on, every five thousand, at 15, it wasnt so far out, I hardly did anything at 20.
Now, seat (should it manage to seat itself deeper) and valve lip wear allow the valve stem to move toward the lifter, possibly losing the required lash.
Oonce I feel comfortable about the seat, I adjust the valves as tight as I can, InsideSpecs. I bought a cam to increase fuel and air in and out, I WANT to adjust valves to help.  It takes longer, because playing with adjustments and trying to get them Thaaaat close to potential costly errormeans checking, rechecking and checking again.
The slack in the threads opens the adjustmen when the jam nut is tightened.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #47 - 05/10/15 at 09:02:57

I'm going to do a before and after  gas mileage check.

Scientific approach. Good.

You can fill up, ride 50miles, go to tsame pump, fill up to the same spot.
If it takes 1 gallon, 50 mpg.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #48 - 05/10/15 at 09:06:37

Thats a great Idea!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #49 - 05/10/15 at 09:47:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/15 at 08:59:10:
Valves need adjusted. Some more often than others. The adjuster is mild steel will a point like a dull pencil. Smacking into the valve stem repeatedly flattens, and work hardens, that pointy tip. Early on, every five thousand, at 15, it wasnt so far out, I hardly did anything at 20.
Now, seat (should it manage to seat itself deeper) and valve lip wear allow the valve stem to move toward the lifter, possibly losing the required lash.
Oonce I feel comfortable about the seat, I adjust the valves as tight as I can, InsideSpecs. I bought a cam to increase fuel and air in and out, I WANT to adjust valves to help.  It takes longer, because playing with adjustments and trying to get them Thaaaat close to potential costly errormeans checking, rechecking and checking again.

Think you got that beckerds, the adjuster and the lock nut tighten in the same direction, so tightening the lock nut, if you don't hold the adjuster, will tighten the clearance

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #50 - 05/10/15 at 15:31:27

If, and you must, hold the adjuster, when the jam nut is tightened it Lifts the adjuster in the threads. Maybe a thousandth. The threads in the rockers and the threads on my adjusters were a bit sloppy.

Its not possible to accurately adjust anything and not hold the bits involved while securing the adjusted parts.

I see why you thought that... but ive been in there and am actually pretty good on these valves. Its doggone fidgetty getting them on the tight side of In Spec.

Loosen an adjuster, insert desired feeler gauge,run the adjuster down, finger tight, get an offset screwdriverand a 10mm. Feel how the feeler gauge slides, should have some drag..  Holding the adjuster from turning, snug the jam nut. If the threads in you rockers are  as sloppy S mine, the feeler will be loose now.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #51 - 05/11/15 at 11:04:53

As much trouble as I had just getting a feeler in there, I went fat, tightened the adjuster to a very slight drag, and left it in while tightening the locknuts, it went fro a light drag to maybe a light medium drag, and I call it good
I'm not trying for tight valves, as I doubt it makes a lot of difference, I like em a little loose, for safety's sake
when I tried it the traditional way, like you do it, I couldn't get the feeler gauge back in at all
I don't think this means it was over tight, I think it means I have trouble getting the gauge positioned just right to slip in, as I had to back the adjusters off quite a bit to get them in in the first place
I'm getting the angled gauges for next time

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #52 - 05/11/15 at 14:57:13

Well,,it looks like it was a false alarm. I rode 45 miles and when i refilled it only took .79 gallons. I never checked scientifically,and using a brick under the kickstand gives me much better control over filling.Thanks Jog and eveyone for your help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #53 - 05/11/15 at 18:28:34

I have to remove the gauge from the set, bend to a Z shape and put a ski tip bend in the end.
Getting it back in? Not easy, not always possible. I test by goijg smaller.
You're probably right about that other thousandth or so,, but, cam lift opens valves and the book says what the safe adjustment is and I wanted it getting as much air in and out as possible. I never checked the valves and found them tighter than I had adjusted them to.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #54 - 05/12/15 at 10:36:03

Yeah I'm not trying to get the last HP, Don't index my plug, either, I stay on the safe side because I'm too lazy to get very detailed with this stuff  Grin

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #55 - 05/12/15 at 13:42:21

rl153 wrote on 05/11/15 at 14:57:13:
Well,,it looks like it was a false alarm. I rode 45 miles and when i refilled it only took .79 gallons. I never checked scientifically,and using a brick under the kickstand gives me much better control over filling.Thanks Jog and eveyone for your help.

Glad to hear you got the MPG's figured out.  You should be getting around 50-ish if things are good.  See my Fuelly link in my sig.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #56 - 05/12/15 at 14:12:41

Thanks,I joined fuelly,it's cool.. i think I'm getting at least fifty mpg. The confusion stemed from being unable to fill the tank consistently to the top ,without spilling, but using a brick,and flashlight, solved the problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 07:31:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › does any one else have this

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.