Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New computer for college student (Read 96 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
New computer for college student
05/10/15 at 20:08:56

My son is starting college this fall ...  Smiley  , so I'm thinking of getting him a new computer .    Thing is I don't know enough about them to make an educated selection.    Money is always an issue but I'm thinking of this one :  

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-Flexx-11-with-WiFi-11.6-Touchscreen-Tablet...

What do ya'll think ?

Requirements  start with , but not limited to ...
1.    doing reports and sending them to the printer (word program)
2.    recording class lectures for play-back while doing homework
3.    playing games and or music
4.    easy to carry
5.    long battery life
6.    face book and the like
7.    expandable memory
8.    ???

Help !   Smiley

« Last Edit: 05/11/15 at 03:51:26 by Dave »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New computer for collage student
Reply #1 - 05/10/15 at 20:26:24

My daughter started school.. whoopie,, bought a laptop.

Not only would its software not talk to the schools, it couldnt be loaded on.
Let him start, find out what he needs, then get that. Or, find out from school.
Buying two sux, lemme tellya.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #2 - 05/10/15 at 23:18:26

I can't speak for what laptop has exactly what you're looking for on it, but here's what I would recommend to myself if I could go back:
1. Memory. Sure you can add external hard drives but it's not as convenient. I believe I have a 64GB drive with quite a few movies and tons of everything else with plenty of space to spare.
2. Size. I made the mistakes of getting an 18 inch laptop. I carry mine in my backpack's laptop pouch, but it won't fit if I have more than a few books or binders with it. Had I gotten a smaller laptop, it would have been no problem. I also have a tablet that's easy to transport, but doesn't have adequate software for college usage.
3. Software. Microsoft office or equivalent. Everything else is customizable. If your computer doesn't already have office on it, I believe you can get the university edition if they still have it, but they will need to submit student information for verification.
4. Hardware I guess? USB ports are always useful, I have 3 and have used all 3 at one time before. A CD and DVD drive are options to look into if his classes require them which a few of mine did. Wifi capable is convenient if not a necessity. I used numbers a lot and would never have made it without the keypad on the keyboard.
5. Battery. Find something that can last as long as possible without being charged. I usually don't have to take my charger to class, but usually don't use it in consecutive classes. When at home, I leave the charger in and take the battery out. Not sure if it helps but I've had my laptop for going on 5 years and the battery doesn't die after an hour.

I can't remember exactly what computer I have at the moment, but you don't want it. As long as it's not a Mac, you shouldn't have trouble with most software. I am running Windows xp so I can't comment on any other operating systems. I hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm not real tech savvy but I can let you know all about what college is like.

IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #3 - 05/11/15 at 02:53:55

If you don't mind telling me what college he is going to I will find out their requirements for you. That way when you go buy one it will be able to work on their network. I'll PM you later and tell you some more things. I'm currently getting my masters degree at Auburn University.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: New computer for college student
Reply #4 - 05/11/15 at 06:05:39

JOG and Spearheadss are right on, find out what he needs from the college and go from there. My wife and daughter both started college and needed computers, one each, of course. Each school required something a little different, so we got those specs and went shopping. We ended up buying from a pawn shop and got pretty good deals on both. But you need to know what you need before you start spending money.

They, wife and kids, bought me a computer for Christmas a few years ago, got the Black Friday deal from somewhere. It is great for me, might not work for them. But like I told them, how good of a computer do I need to type my sermon on?

I've seen folks spend a lot of money for the newest, fastest computer with all the bells and whistles and all they do is check email. They bought a whole lot more than they needed.

And that's my $.02.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 05/11/15 at 07:28:43

spearheadss ,
We have a two year collage less than 15 miles away ,Motlow State Community Collage .   I made an appointment for next Monday so Son can up his ACT score by way of something referred to as : "Compass Test" ?? (some of this stuff is like a different language to me)  Tongue .  
So while he is testing I can go on a fact-finding-mission  Wink.   From what ya'll indicated I should find out about communicating with the Collage's computer   Huh    I never would have thought of this  !  Smiley

Our house went WiFi (DSL) 7-8 years ago , we're almost too far from town for it to work so about 1.5 speed is all we get --- but that's fast enough for internet phone , and NetFlix to work.   Five years (+-) we cut the cable , put up a digital antenna (11-15 stations) , and dropped the regular phone.  Saves a bunch of $$$$  Cool .    

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 05/11/15 at 07:41:53

You have already been given the best advice. Some schools are heavy into MAC support, many less so. I will say this.. my daughter (who just graduated Saturday) ... ended up with both an old-school laptop and an IPAD.

Work, such as typing papers and other homework was done on the laptop ( Windows 7).. but Apple has been courting school book publishers very hard, as such buying an IPAD and buying the electronic equivalent of a school text book proved MUCH cheaper and more convenient that just buying paper bound books. To be honest I am NOT much of a Apple or OIS fan, but this is a trend I was not willing to buck.   Further I work at a medical school and I mentioned this to a committee I am on. I got very little support ... until the next meeting when the DEAN of the SCHOOL OF MEDICINE piped up and said that yes.. her son had return home from his first term in college to beg her for an IPAD on top of his laptop that she had just bought. ( so yeah our team has to write IOS freindly mobile web sites to compliment the standard full bowser web sites.

PS: my daughter moved to the college town about 3 hours away... her and her house mates only have internet and ZERO cable TV. Instead she use the above mentioned plus her Wii to watch Netflix and Hulu..  

Hope this was helpful..........  Cool

IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #7 - 05/11/15 at 10:20:33

MMRanch,

This is from their website:

System and Software Requirements

Operating System: Windows 7, Mac OS X

Browser (PC): Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 9 (Should already be installed)

Browser (Mac): Safari 6.0, Safari 5.1 (Again Should Already be installed)

Video: Video SVGA monitor; Resolution of 1024x768 or greater is recommended (Mostly Standard anymore)

Internet Speed: 56K modem or cable modem, DSL (Again Mostly Standard anymore)

Sun Java Runtime Environment JRE v1.4.2.x, 1.5.x, 1.6.x (update 10 and above is NOT supported)

JavaScript and Cookies Must be enabled (Generally turned on by default)

The bookstore has a computer for $329 that will work. But you will have to but it online. I don't know what your price range is but that is pretty cheap.

http://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10001&categ...

Here is the bookstore computer sales link if you want to look at others. The bookstore will only sell computers that work with the college's IT requirements. Plus, the It department or computer services or whatever it is called can help out in case something goes wrong.

http://www.bkstr.com/motlowstateccstore/shop/technology/computers-and-tablets...

I use a Mac and I also have an iPad to read my text books on. Hope this helps.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #8 - 05/11/15 at 10:26:58

I work in Education and I would recommend getting a laptop with at least 128mb of hard drive space and at least 4gigs of ram.  64gig hard drive sucks as windows is going to take up 20gigs alone.  Fighting for hard drive space is a real pain.  I have a Microsoft Surface Pro and am constantly battling hard drive space issues.  4gigs of ram will allow them to multitask a web browser and a document editor without waiting forever.

Anything with less ram and hard drive space and your kid will outgrown that laptop within a year. Touch screen on a laptop does not have to much worth currently and should not be a priority.

WWW   IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #9 - 05/11/15 at 18:29:23

MMRanch,

My apologies for not PM'ing you. Life got in the way. I will get to it in the morning.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 05/11/15 at 20:42:52

I'm glad ya'll are available and appreciate your post.   I was almost ready to by the one in the first post -- but not any more !  Embarrassed

I'm now convinced that after a couple month my son will know exactly which one he "NEEDS" ,  might not take that long ! ?  Wink

Its nice to have a big Bank-of-Savage-Folks , to bounce things off of !  Grin    

Ya'll came through for me  Cool

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 23:23:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › New computer for college student

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.