ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: frozen rotor bolt
Reply #15 - 03/24/15 at 17:32:45

Art Webb wrote on 03/24/15 at 15:45:47:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/24/15 at 04:56:44:
Put the wrench in a bind, spank on it= impact..

this works near as well as an actual impact wrench

This isn't going to work on an "L" shaped allen wrench? Huh  It will only help to strip out the hex in the bolt.

It also doesn't work on open end wrenches.....it just rounds the hex off the bolt head.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #16 - 03/24/15 at 17:37:18

The only tool that's works like or as good as an impact driver, is an impact driver.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 03/24/15 at 18:14:11

I don't recommend what I haven't done. And I've done this many times.

That's not to say it can't be done clumsily or ham fisted and a mess made of it, but I've been very successful with this approach.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 03/24/15 at 18:36:39

Dave wrote on 03/24/15 at 17:32:45:
Art Webb wrote on 03/24/15 at 15:45:47:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/24/15 at 04:56:44:
Put the wrench in a bind, spank on it= impact..

this works near as well as an actual impact wrench

This isn't going to work on an "L" shaped allen wrench? Huh  It will only help to strip out the hex in the bolt.

It also doesn't work on open end wrenches.....it just rounds the hex off the bolt head.

it will if you have a proper bind on it and 'tap' not 'whang the heck out of'
it does work better with an allen bit and a ratchet, but I've done it with the 'L' wrenches
I don't really recomend using L wrenches at all, tbh, they're crap
the key is having that bind on it, so the flats are already pressed against the inside flats of the bolt, and you need to press inward with the heel of the palm, too
I would still, however, prefer a bit and ratchet

and it doesn't work with an open end? someone better tell all the stuck nuts / line fittings I broke loose with an open end that way, because It works, even with an open end, more than it doesn't, if you're not using Chinese tools

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 03/24/15 at 18:39:35

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/24/15 at 17:37:18:
The only tool that's works like or as good as an impact driver, is an impact driver.

I said near as good, shock works, whether it's applied via a power tool or a hammer and wrench
also note that an impact wrench doesn't work quite the same way and impact driver does

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 03/25/15 at 00:03:42

I would go to town with the heat gun (actually I'd use a flame because I don't care if the laquer burns off) on the flange with the jammed screw. There's nothing like heat to get that thread locker unlocked, plus the hub's aluminium and will expand a lot quicker than the bolt.
My 2c, YMMV etc.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 03/25/15 at 02:58:58

If you are going to be hammering on tools.....this is the most productive tool to own.  I don't know how you ever get the Phillips head screws out of an engine case on a motorcycle without one of these.  Only $ 23 at Sears....and yes Harbor Freight most likely has a cheap version for less.

It works with the screw inserts, or any 3/8" drive socket.  You really need one of these if you are going to work on motorcycles...it was one of the first tools I ever owned, and I am still using the one I bought in 1972.  (Although I have had to buy a few replacement bits over the years).

You just insert the bit of your choice and place it on the fastener, hold onto the tool with your left hand like you are trying to turn the tool in the direction of removal and hold it tightly into the fastener, and then hit the end hard with a hammer.  The tool transforms the impact force into a rotational force.  The tool will work in either direction, and you have to make sure the tool is set for the direction you want it to move by twisting the tool in the direction you want to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUOghfo7VGI

spin_prod_887079112.jpg

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #22 - 03/25/15 at 05:17:26

Dave, I have owned a Craftsman version of that tool for nearly 35 years, and I don't think I've ever had success with it. Maybe my technique sucks.

What I have had luck with over the years are long - 16" to 20" - screw drivers. The extra leverage they afford makes a night and day difference from standard length screw drivers. For some reason, I can push much harder, allowing for additional twist/torque.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 03/25/15 at 05:24:44

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/25/15 at 05:17:26:
Dave, I have owned a Craftsman version of that tool for nearly 35 years, and I don't think I've ever had success with it. Maybe my technique sucks.

Must be technique....it takes a bit of practice.  Watch the video, and notice how his hand is torquing the tool in the direction you want it to turn while you hit it - they work great!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #24 - 03/25/15 at 06:03:12

Dave wrote on 03/25/15 at 05:24:44:
Must be technique....it takes a bit of practice.  Watch the video, and notice how his hand is torquing the tool in the direction you want it to turn while you hit it - they work great!

Looks like I'm not as aggressive with the hits as the demonstrator. He's hitting that hard with a large hammer.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #25 - 03/25/15 at 06:25:59

Like Dave said, you really need to torque the impact driver in the direction you want to turn the screw. Just whacking it with the hammer doesn't work so well. Its a brilliant tool once you get the hang of it and pretty much the only thing that will undo those horrible screws they used to use in the 70's and 80's on jap bike crankcases.be surprised if one didn't work on that disc screw. (+ heat!) Good luck.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #26 - 03/25/15 at 06:28:46

JoG, what's a "bind"? I haven't heard that before. Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 03/25/15 at 08:23:08

Pressure, not sufficient to break anything, just get all the slack out and put some load on it. Be aware that striking it,more flex will be the result. Slowly increase the pressure, and, lest any cry HERETIC for striking a tool other a punch or chisel, remember, we own them so that they can serve us to solve problems. I've heated, bent, I've even cut a 1 3/8 Craftsman wrench in half to get into a tight spot on the backhoe. OR I could have spent several hours and injured my shoulders further disassembling to gain access.
If you have a socket and an Allen wrench, cut the Allen wrench and put it in the socket,,

Or, put a socket on an extension, put the Allen wrench in the bolt head, pull hard enough to see a slight flex in the Allen wrench, use anything LIGHT , a hard stick, something that you can spank on it with.
I Prefer not to use a ratchet here, because it won't flex.
You know I am always pointing out that Dave has it right.
Well, I can't on this. I have many times done what I'm saying. I still much appreciate what Dave has done for this place and respect his skills and experience, but here I disagree.

Quick, quick, quick,  imitate an impact. Also, put a pin punch down in the head of the bolt, smack the crap out of it several times.. rattle the threads.
If you have a butane powered soldering tool , take the tip off, heat the bolt till the female threads are hot, stick ice on the bolt head, get busy with the wrench. Even one of those flex tip refillable butane lighters for fireplaces could help you.
I've seen giving a bolt a jolt to tighten it break things loose.
Once it starts to come out, don't get excited and just go to cranking on it. Take care, oil. Turn it right, let the oil cool and lube the bolt, FEEL of it all the way out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 03/25/15 at 08:34:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/25/15 at 08:23:08:
I still much appreciate what Dave has done for this place and respect his skills and experience, but here I disagree.

If the "correct" tools weren't available....and affordable....I might have a different opinion.

$ 8.99 from Sears and you can (and should) have a hex bit set that will fit your ratchet.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-evolv-7-pc-hex-bit-socket-set/p-00910058000P

If Jeff71 had one of these in his toolbox....this thread would most likely not exist.

If you are out in the middle of nowhere and don't have the correct $ 8.99 tool....then put on the wrench, find a fence post, and "spank it".  I will admit that on occasion I have had to stand on a breaker bar and bounce....or take the handle off my floor jack to use a leverage multiplier! Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 03/25/15 at 08:39:51

A ratchet, IMO, is not the best answer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 08:46:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › frozen rotor bolt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.