Send Topic Print
frozen rotor bolt (Read 264 times)
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
frozen rotor bolt
03/23/15 at 21:24:24

Hey gang,
Pulling the front rotor off to swap to my new wheel. Got 3 of the 4 bolts off but actually shattered my 6mm allen wrench on the last one. I've soaked the bolt with PB Blaster and tapped it a few times to get the harmonics going through it. Tried it tonight but it isn't budging. I'm worried about snapping the bolt off. Is it possible to put a "little" heat on the threads to expand it a little or would it make the metal too brittle/soft? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: frozen rotor bolt
Reply #1 - 03/23/15 at 21:34:34

don't apply any more force then that little wrench can stand or you'll twist off the head.

I'd say heat.  wait till someone tells you how.

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #2 - 03/23/15 at 23:20:29

Hence the reason I'm asking. Cheesy I have time, so if it needs a bit of time for penetrating oil to soak in, no problem. Any advice is appreciated!
Jeff

IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #3 - 03/24/15 at 04:12:37

I just ran into this same problem last week. This was the second Savage rotor that I've removed. The first from an 87 with 22k on it came right off with no problems. The one I did last week was from a 96 with less than 4k on it.  The bolts on the 96 were absolutely covered in that white factory Loctite. I don't think penetrating oil made much of a difference but suppose it didn't hurt.  I ended up stripping the head on one of the bolts because it was so stuck. I had to weld an Allen wrench to the head of the bolt, which obviously did a nice job of heating the bolt up as well. I was then able to slip a piece of steel tubing over the Allen wrench and carefully leverage it unstuck. In the end it came out cleanly and left no damage behind. So I'd say heat and a little leverage. Having the wrench welded to the bolt helped but shouldn't be necessary if your bolt is not stripped.

image_223.jpg

87 Savage currently receiving a total rebuild
79 XS 650 Special (stock)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/24/15 at 04:32:58

If the problem is the threadlocker.....maybe the best thing to do is make up your own penetrating oil using 50% Acetone and 50% ATF.  It is supposed to be the best penetrating oil around....and maybe the Acetone can loosen up the threadlocker.  It is a shame that only the backside of the threads can be accessed....I don't think you will have any luck getting the penetrating oil to go anywhere using the front side...although if some seeps under the bolt head that would help reduce the friction between the bolt head and disc.  You might try cleaning up the area really good to get the oil off, then use some RTV silicone to glue a short piece of tubing onto the hub....then when the RTV has cured you can lay the wheel rotor side down - and put the Acetone/ATF mix into the tube so that it can seep down into the hole for an extended period.  Laying the wheel where it can get sunlight and periods of heating/cooling cycles will also help.  You can also use a hair dryer or low heat from a heat gun to apply some heat to the hub...but not a torch at this point.  You have a lot of other work to do and you can let it sit for a long time to soak....and you should buy an allen bit set for your 3/8" ratchet wrench (6mm at a minimum) - as it will allow you to keep the bit fully seated in the bolt head while you are applying lots of pressure on the ratchet...the tiny L shaped allen wrench won't allow you to apply pressure evenly.  

As a last resort....Heat should be applied to the aluminum hub at the point where the bolt goes through the hub (keep the flame off the end of the bolt as much as possible)....unfortunately aluminum transfers heat incredibly fast....so the heat is going to go everywhere including to the bearings, seals and grease in the hub.  The clear coat is also not going to like all that heat.  If you are working in the 50 degree garage....maybe try a heat gun before you attempt a torch of any kind.

Good Luck...take your time and don't rush it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/24/15 at 04:56:44

Put the wrench in a bind, spank on it= impact..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 03/24/15 at 05:07:34

Dave wrote on 03/24/15 at 04:32:58:
you should buy an allen bit set for your 3/8" ratchet wrench (6mm at a minimum) - as it will allow you to keep the bit fully seated in the bolt head while you are applying lots of pressure on the ratchet...the tiny L shaped allen wrench won't allow you to apply pressure evenly.

This!

Over the years I've purchased a lot of "specialty" tools and I'd have to say the a hex set for a 3/8" drive is amongst my favorite (T-Handles too). You can get greater leverage (especially if using a breaker bar) and most importantly, you can use a torque wrench to apply the proper seating torque - this way you'll never go through these types of frozen bolt scenarios again (I know this one was by the factory - but nothing's worse then creating your own).

So let it soak, and go buy the right tools - and you'll be good to go.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/24/15 at 05:49:32

Another thing I would be tempted to do.....if after all that soaking and sitting...you get the bolt to turn - but it is still really tight.  Get the bolt out a couple of turns, then flop everything over and get some of the penetrating oil in the recess on the brake rotor side of the hub....and let it sit for a few days.  Then work the bolt in/out a 1/2 turn at a time and see of you can get it too loosen up before you crank it all the way out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 03/24/15 at 08:21:34

And, sometimes tightening just a hair....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #9 - 03/24/15 at 09:08:27

I was thinking using my heat gun and giving the bolt a few quick taps with my brass hammer. Doing the soaking thing is no problem. I'll try that tonight.
Jeff

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 03/24/15 at 09:53:12

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/24/15 at 05:07:34:
Dave wrote on 03/24/15 at 04:32:58:
you should buy an allen bit set for your 3/8" ratchet wrench (6mm at a minimum) - as it will allow you to keep the bit fully seated in the bolt head while you are applying lots of pressure on the ratchet...the tiny L shaped allen wrench won't allow you to apply pressure evenly.

This!

Over the years I've purchased a lot of "specialty" tools and I'd have to say the a hex set for a 3/8" drive is amongst my favorite (T-Handles too). You can get greater leverage (especially if using a breaker bar) and most importantly, you can use a torque wrench to apply the proper seating torque - this way you'll never go through these types of frozen bolt scenarios again (I know this one was by the factory - but nothing's worse then creating your own).

So let it soak, and go buy the right tools - and you'll be good to go.

Dave and Gary are spot on.  See if there is a harbor freight near you and it will cost $15 for a socket allen heads set.  At lowes it will be about $30.  I'm guessing it will come off fairly easily when you use one of those.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #11 - 03/24/15 at 11:06:14

Yeah, Harbor Freight and I go way back. Smiley I'm busy all next week but I'll be plowing back into it after Easter. Going to get it soak for a good week before I even try anything to it.
Jeff

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 03/24/15 at 15:45:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/24/15 at 04:56:44:

this works near as well as an actual impact wrench

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/24/15 at 16:19:25

Deep socket, extension, Allen wrench. Small hammer..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/24/15 at 17:31:16

Art Webb wrote on 03/24/15 at 15:45:47:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/24/15 at 04:56:44:

this works near as well as an actual impact wrench

OK....show me how this works on an "L" shaped allen wrench? Huh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 22:52:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › frozen rotor bolt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.