chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Seat Mods completed
Reply #15 - 07/10/15 at 13:05:28

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/08/15 at 16:57:12:
Still curious about the comparability of the S40 Boulevard seat...

I happen to have a savage rear fender, which as you know is slightly different from my S40 rear fender.  I was looking at it last night to see if the seat from the S40 would fit the savage.  It appears that you have a couple of options.  If you were to put an S40 rear fender on your Savage you should be able to mount the S40 seat to it with no further modification.  If you want the S40 seat to fit the Savage with the stock fender it seems there will have to be a couple of slight modifications.  First is the rear mount point of the S40 seat.  You're going to want to drill a bolt hole in the Savage fender at the correct point and spot weld a nut for the 6mm anchor bolt to it.  You might also need to grind off the rear seat stay from the savage fender but maybe not.  It actually should slip right under the S40 seat without a problem.  Either way seems pretty easy.  Hope that helps.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #16 - 07/10/15 at 18:50:46

Thanks chzeck...that answers my question.

The issue with the Sportster seat is that it doesnt have "wings" on the sides where the rider sits...so there is a huge air gap visible between the seat and the frame. I cut quite a bit of the Sportster plastic seat pan out in order to get it to conform to the shape I wanted. Then I re-supported the seat with sheet metal so it didnt sink when I sat on it. Still not happy with the look though.

I'm not worried about modding the original Savage fender a bit to make the S40 seat work. It will be a lot less work (time and effort wise than I put into the Sportster mod already. I could just get a junked S40 fender and put that on the bike too.

I havent decided whether to go with the one piece seat(S40) or the solo yet(Yamaha V-star). Good to know there are options though!

Art, only camera I have at present is on the phone...and it's not the greatest. I will be posting pics of the regulator relocation soon. As for the seat, when I decide to pull the trigger I'll borrow a decent camera from the landlady to document my "ordeal" Cool

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 07/10/15 at 19:55:53

I'm going to do both.  After seeing what Srotaq has posted here, I'm definitely going to be getting the Yamaha 650 seat and a bib and mimicking the nice job he's done.  I will also keep the S40 seat (which, despite the common complaints about, I happen to like a lot) and will use it when I'm planning a two up ride with my wife.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 07/11/15 at 07:42:15

If I do the V Star seat I will definitely keep the S40 seat too

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print