Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleaning and feeding.. (Read 148 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Cleaning and feeding..
07/09/15 at 05:41:11

I dont clean my car often. It's a 2004 taurus with 225K on the odometer....not exactly a show piece  Grin

The bike(s) however are different. I'd like to keep them in good shape, but I have literally NEVER washed a motorcycle (enter laughs and smirks here).

I'm smart enough to know I probably shouldn't take it to the self service car wash and hit it with 120 PSI water and soap spray. I assume this would get water into places that not even a severe thunderstorm would.

So...I went to autozone and looked at products. Since I have chromed spoke wheels, I wanted a chrome cleaner (not a polish). All 3 products they had for cleaning chrome rims on cars specifically said "do NOT use on motorcycles". WTF? What could possibly be different between the chrome on a car wheel and the chrome on my wheel or exhaust pipe?

Anyway, I just want a general cleaner that will take the dirt off. No oil or grease leaks, so a de-greaser isnt needed. What do you guys use??

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Cleaning and feeding..
Reply #1 - 07/09/15 at 05:52:34

Car washing detergent and a hose. Chamois dry after. For a light clean between washes (I'm not big on washing bikes either) furniture cleaner/polish (dunno if you get Mr Sheen over there?) is great. Not on the tyres tho.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/09/15 at 06:46:04

I take mine to the self serv car wash all the time.  

I ride through water crossings, on dirt roads, and other places that will get a motorcycle ugly looking.  Then I get an email for a Patriot Guard mission, and it needs to be at least sorta clean for that.
Fastest way is the car wash!!

Just don't spray it up under the tank, or directly into any bearings.
Use the spot free rinse.  Take off excess water with one of those absorber towels, then chamois if you want it really nice.

When I do wash them at home, I jack them up so I can get the wheels looking really good, and inspect the tires and belt at the same time.
Just use regular car wash in a bucket type stuff.  I use a big soft brush to scrub it with instead of a rag.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 07/09/15 at 08:52:33

I only wash with car soap and water maybe once or twice a year if needed. Otherwise I just use (seriously) Pledge multi-surface cleaner. Spray on the big areas and 'polish' off to a shine. Looks great, smells great, and makes the surface a little slick to resist new dirt sticking to it.

Just have to first make sure there is no 'dirt' on the painted surfaces so you aren't introducing new scratches.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/09/15 at 09:02:23

I don't use water unless the bike is really mudcaked...
Lemon scented furniture polish and a soft cloth... works great on chrome glass, paint, rubber, and aluminum...
A guy a bike show told me about it years ago...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 07/09/15 at 11:12:29

Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/09/15 at 12:34:06

Serowbot wrote on 07/09/15 at 09:02:23:
I don't use water unless the bike is really mudcaked...
Lemon scented furniture polish and a soft cloth... works great on chrome glass, paint, rubber, and aluminum...
A guy a bike show told me about it years ago...

Dude.. let's RIDE!

bikepics-2196336-800.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/09/15 at 13:14:58

OK.....I clean my bike a lot.

I start with a cool bike that is not warm from being ridden.

I use Bike Bright to spray on the engine, fins, wheel hubs, things that are potentially dirty.  I let it soak for just a minute or two.....don't let it dry.  If there are any really gooey spots I use a small paint brush to smear it around.

I then spray it down with the garden hose and wash off the Bike Bright.  I don't concentrate the spray on the carb, or the electrical controls.  Then I fill my bucket and add a good car wash soap.  I start at the top of the bike and work my way down.  Then I rinse the bike well with the hose.

Next I take my leaf blower and blow off everything......and get it as dry as possible.  Then I use a soft towel and dry all the bright bits.

THEN (this is important)....take the bike for a ride to warm it up and get all the water out of the nooks and crannies.  The rear brake drum tilts uphill and will hold water when on the kickstand, and the top of the engine has a lot of places that will hold water....as well as all the electrical connectors.  Never put the bike into a closed garage after washing - it needs to dry.....letting it sit in sunlight and wind after washing is almost as good as riding.

The bike gets a thorough waxing and polish about once a month.  For Chrome and other metals I use a Griots Garage metal polish....Simichrome or other similar products work fine.

After the ride I use the Honda spray cleaner and a soft rag to wipe off any water spots.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 07/09/15 at 20:40:41

That Pledge looks like our Mr Sheen equivalent. Good stuff. Something that occurred to me while I was washing my Enfield this morning: Start from clean and work to dirty, and use a different cloth for each part. ie: I start with clean water and detergent and a clean microfibre sponge and do the bodywork, clocks, front end, frame and other less dirty parts. Then, move onto the suspension, engine and other grubbier parts with a different, grubbier wash cloth. Then finally the really dirty parts: Wheels, swingarm, stands and oily bits with a wheel brush. This way you don't transfer filth from the engine to the bodywork, ruin good washcloths or scratch up paintwork with grit from the wheels or somewhere.
My 2c, YMMV etc

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/10/15 at 01:50:16

I'm not sure why the car products say not for use on motorcycles, except perhaps to add credibility to the assertion that you should by their motorcycle specific products.  Seems like a good sales tactic.  

I don't use those products at all.  They aren't needed.  For me, it's plain water in a hand pump plant sprayer, then a regular use clay bar, microfiber towel as you go, followed by lemon furniture polish.

Clay bar.  That's really all you need.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 07/10/15 at 19:10:53

Thanks all for the replies....I dont feel so foolish anymore  Cool

My primary concern with washing is was the "getting water where it aint 'sposed to go" with the high pressure self-serv hose or even the garden hose.

She isnt filthy...I dont ride her in the rain or off road. Just the engine fins and lower inside fender areas and stuff that I wanted to get to.

I had been using Scrubbing Bubbles for the shiny bits. I has no actual abrasives in it and it works like a charm...but leaves the parts TOO clean (like, ready and raring to attract dirt). I'll try the furniture polish trick.

And youzguys, thank you so much for your service with the Patriot Guards. If it wasnt for them, there would have been 4 people at my cousin's funeral. He had been a Master Sargent but ended up being homeless and having some other issues. The PG guys gave him a proper send-off.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/10/15 at 20:03:27

I'm sorry for your loss, Stu.  After you get your bike all shiny let us know what you used and put up a photo.  I'd like to see how it goes for you...cough, cough, claybar, cough  Wink

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/10/15 at 22:23:32

Sorry for your loss, Stu
my whole family aside from me was military, it's criminal what sometimes happens to veterans after they retire

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 05:11:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cleaning and feeding..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.