Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
el burro pequeño - a scrambler build (Read 2231 times)
strang

london
Re: A Scrambler Build
Reply #60 - 10/26/15 at 14:33:13

Thanks. Really appreciate your kind words gentlemen. Keeps me getting down that shed.
Going for the stripped look on the tank. Am going to brush on 2 part clear coat.

I ended up using jb weld as there were 2 pinhole leaks in the badge mount area that I found with a torch. Actually not anything to do with my close shave handy work, just from rust sitting behind the badges. Have now filled with jb weld  - was previously thinking of giving the inside of the tank a rinse with phosphoric acid to kill any rust that side. Now I've jumped the gun with the jb weld - is this now out of the question? Anyone know how jb weld and phosphoric acid interact? Will test in the morning but if someone's been there am all ears.

« Last Edit: 10/27/15 at 03:07:16 by strang »  
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #61 - 10/26/15 at 15:51:20

That is a good question.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #62 - 10/26/15 at 15:51:43

That is a good question.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 10/26/15 at 17:50:02

I don't believe JB Weld and Phosporic acid with have any problem - but unfortunately JB Weld does not hold up to exposure to gasoline.  It will break down over time and get gooey.

The best way to fix those pinholes is to clean up the metal - dent them in just slightly with a pick or nail, and solder them using a good flux for steel and solder without flux.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #64 - 10/27/15 at 03:10:41

I'm going to go the POR15 tank liner route. There are probably more pinhole leaks on the way so hope the POR15 will sort the whole tank.
Lost it a bit yesterday as got impatient and was looking for a quick fix to get riding. This build is teaching me patience.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 10/27/15 at 04:04:35

strang wrote on 10/27/15 at 03:10:41:
I'm going to go the POR15 tank liner route. There are probably more pinhole leaks on the way so hope the POR15 will sort the whole tank.

With this E10 ethanol fuel today....just about every steel tank should have some kind of lining applied - especially vintage tanks that have gone through some rusting previously.  Once the tank has had some rust inside it is very hard to stop it from rusting again.

The POR15 is a good sealer....the Caswell Plating kit is good as well - but does require a warm shop when you use it.  If the temperature is too cold it is really thick and hard to make it move around inside the tank.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #66 - 10/27/15 at 15:30:04

Caswell is good stuff
I went on RYCA's website and they do still make the Standard, it's the CS2, with the scrambler being the CS2s, the diff being the high pipe and the dual sport tires
Heck, I might do a scrambler, too, I do like acting goofy on dirt roads
Gotta get the CC paid up before I do that though

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #67 - 10/28/15 at 04:04:23

I went with por15 as Caswell isn't distributed as widely here so is more expensive.

The badge areas seem to be the worst affected areas on the tank by far, rest of the tank looks like just surface rust, the badge area has dimples where the rust has penetrated. These jap badge mount areas are just stretched to make the indent and so are very thin to start with. Dumb.
  I tried tig welding the hole at first and that was a no go and made the hole bigger, even with the welder on the lowest setting. I managed to weld it up again but it aint pretty. Me dumb.

I've now managed to get access to a good propane torch setup so I'm considering doing this:
- cutting out the badge mount areas.
- cut metal patches to fit the badge areas.
- braze on new patches using "fluxed silicon bronze rods":
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171952756962?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageNam...
- line inside with POR15 sealer.
- finish outside with 2k.
Does this seem sensible?

I don't care about the tank looking slick, ascetically I want the bike to be like the old speedway bikes that me and my cousins used to watch when we were kids in 1970s Australia - so a bit patched up is cool for this build.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 10/28/15 at 05:29:59

Brazing puts a lot of heat on the tank and will result in a lot of warping and grinding.

I would cut some thin steel sheet that can be set into the recessed area for the tank badge, you will need the edges to be really clean. (You could also use brass or copper if you wanted that contrast).  Then with a acid based flux made for steel - tin the edges with solder.  You can then solder in the steel sheet without warping the tank.  The tinning can be done with a propane torch - but the final soldering of the joint should be done with an iron, as you can control the heat better.

Solder really is a good way to connect steel together.....this metal plate for the relocated petcock is soldered into place.  It is really easy once you have the proper flux and solid solder.  Acid core can be used - but the acid keeps floating up to the top and is kind of messy.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #69 - 10/28/15 at 14:00:45

thanks Dave very helpful as usual.

Is this flux ok (I have some already)?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171939397445?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNam...

Was gonna buy this 60/40 solder:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solder-Wire-Lead-60-40-40-60-High-Grade-Lead-Free-G...

Here's a video I found of the process. He seems to get good results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watHkrMQQOs

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #70 - 10/29/15 at 20:31:04

Dave has not yet realized that whe next we meet, he will teach me to solder
hehehehehe

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #71 - 10/30/15 at 03:03:41

strang wrote on 10/28/15 at 14:00:45:
thanks Dave very helpful as usual.

Is this flux ok (I have some already)?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171939397445?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNam...

Was gonna buy this 60/40 solder:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solder-Wire-Lead-60-40-40-60-High-Grade-Lead-Free-G...

Here's a video I found of the process. He seems to get good results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watHkrMQQOs

The flux doesn't look like it is suitable....the listing states: Metals this flux can be used on.  Copper, Zinc Coated, Nickel plated, Silver etc.

What you want to find is an "acid flux"....not rosin.  Do a search in your area and see what you can find.  I got mine at Graingers....most likely you will need to go to an industrial supply, really good hardware store, or get it online.  My flux is a liquid and I apply it with a Q-tip.

I looked at Youtube and was surprised how badly most of the folks are at soldering steel.......most of them to a really sloppy job.  With a little practice you can do a much better job than they do in most of those videos.  The solder is pulled toward the heat, and a much better job is done if you heat the part and melt the solder by placing it on the heated part.....don't hit the solder with the torch flame or it just melts and drops onto the floor.

This guy does a really nice job of soldering....however you aren't going to have to heat up this much of an area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIkvP55UbxM

For the small area/joint you want to do....you won't need nearly that much heat.  The cool thing is that it is easy to practice this....some scrap metal, the flux and solder, a torch...and you can practice.  You can find good solder at flea markets and yard sales - you want acid core or solid solder (rosin core doesn't work on steel).  Solder is not good at filling wide gaps - but it will work on small holes.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #72 - 10/30/15 at 05:33:57

Forgive me Dave but this tank came up on ebay.com up this morning for $130 and I decided to bite the bullet and pay shipping and charges from the US side of the pond.
gt185 NOS tank:

I don't have endless time or skills so decided to play safe.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #73 - 10/30/15 at 13:41:53

Centre stand fully functional - ended up making the spring adjustable.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #74 - 10/31/15 at 12:42:17

Center stand? be still my heart

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print