Send Topic Print
More starting issues (Read 111 times)
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
More starting issues
04/14/16 at 07:20:30

Haven't responded... I hate wrenching... because it means I have time... because I am out of work, with no income and many of you know about that...   Undecided

So now I'm wrenching because I'm laid off and we now NEED the bike to work... and it sat for 11 days of rain, and many of you also know about that...  Undecided

SITUATION:

1. New battery less than 3mo ago... Big Crank AGM worked fine until tried last nite... on charger all night... reads 12.68 to 12.70 constant.

2.  Key on, all lights operate, out of gear, neutral light on, cut-off switched disengaged, kick stand up....

3.  I push the starter.... headlight and front signals go out; brake light remains on... flashers will operate....

4. Starter WON'T make a noise....

5. again = when I push the starter the headlight and front signals go off and no starter.

Please explain.?

Frustrated Tom again...

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: More starting issues
Reply #1 - 04/14/16 at 07:57:33

I am sure the smart people will chime in soon, but have you tried gently tapping on the starter (don't beat it and dent it all up) to make sure it isn't lightly bound up inside?

Also, are you hearing any sound such as a relay or solenoid "click" when you hit the button?

And...have you tried jumping the starter from a car battery (CAR NOT RUNNING or it will give too much juice and do bad things to your system) to make certain the starter is good?  If that spins the starter, then you may have a relay/solenoid issue which could simply be a loose connector or something really easy.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/14/16 at 08:03:10

Here's a link to your previous thread...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1442685324

if you have a voltmeter, check the voltage.
you should jump it to get it running and check the voltage again.
then rev it up and see if the charging voltage picks up.

there are a lot of ways this could go. electrical, mechanical or battery.
1st off it sounds like you got a short somewhere, just enough to drain the battery over an extended period.  letting your bat sit dead is not a good thing... it's a bat, not frankenstein.
I would chase down the other problems, then worry about the bat.

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 04/14/16 at 08:08:51

Double check the handlebar kill switch. I hate to admit spending 8 hours trouble shooting, head scratching, and disassembling the handlebar controls, only to find I had bumped the kill switch.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #4 - 04/14/16 at 09:42:40

badwolf wrote on 04/14/16 at 08:08:51:
Double check the handlebar kill switch. I hate to admit spending 8 hours trouble shooting, head scratching, and disassembling the handlebar controls, only to find I had bumped the kill switch.

Sorry for laughing, I really thought you were going to say that you over looked a bad switch... But don't be ashamed, I've done the same... And even neglected to check it again after realizing no turn over...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/14/16 at 15:00:52

If you don't have cables or a car to jump it off from, clean out around the spark plug, and try just spinning it over. No luck?
Fifth gear, push it. Prove it WILL turn over, manually.
Magnets in the starter Will break. Smack with care.
Year model, miles. Modifications, last work you've done.

Maybe I should remember all this, I don't, and it's important.

Sounds like a bad battery to me. But, without a volt meter, or test light, you can't know what the battery is doing under load.
You say you have lights before the start button is pushed.
Hit the horn instead. See what it does. Are the lights as bright as they should be?

Battery tests are free. Wal-Mart has the most sophisticated charge/tester I've seen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 04/14/16 at 17:54:24

The lights SHOULD go out when you push the starter. It gives the battery more juice to run the starter.

Sounds like a dead (or dying) battery to me too.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/14/16 at 18:48:49

Depends on the year  model.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 04/14/16 at 19:01:14

True. The older ones didn't do that.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/14/16 at 19:47:40

What's the voltage across the battery when you hit start?
Put a lead on the hot wire to the battery. See IF you're getting power to it.
Or, get a battery and cables and make the starter go.

We aren't There. More questions without doing what is suggested won't get it going.

The ground, near the clutch actuator lever, may be dirty.
Connections will allow the volt meter to show good voltage, but not carry enough current. After you hit the start button, feel for hot connections. Hot equals resistance.

Year model, mileage, what work have you done on it recently?
The battery is three months old. And it's been run down.
I'd pull it out, get jumper cables and get the bike NOT on compression and hook it straight up to the starter.
Could be the solenoid, battery, decompression timer, bad connection, starter,

So, eliminate the battery and starter.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/15/16 at 01:48:25

wakosama, I live close to you.  Would you like me to come and take a look at it for you?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #11 - 04/16/16 at 11:25:57

Thank you very much for the guidance... Seems I have much to do and check.

LATEST WORK DONE:  I installed new bars.   The controls were moved, removed, shaken, twisted, etc. SO =  

After jumping it from a car battery to check stuff, I will start looking for the short.

I will start with the right controls, the starter button side.  After I rearrange the garage to have space to safely brace the bike and take things apart... and advise as I progress.

"chzeckmate":  thank you.  I'd like to meet another tribe member and see a setup savage regardless if you can show me how to fix mine.  I'll PM...

Tom

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/16/16 at 16:11:19

A Sho r t? Why would you think you have a short? Blowing fuses?

You don't like wrenching, but if you want to ride, you're gonna.
The only other option is to spend more money on a mechanic than the bike is worth.
You have the benefit of the accumulated knowledge of passionate owners, all come together here. The people here are truly expert in areas. Some are real hot shots on the carb. The dealership mechanics are not excited about this model. Once you get it sorted out, it's a dependable machine. The appeal of the bike takes a while to explain, but there is only one that I would consider as it's equal, the Kawasaki W-650. That's just me. I don't like heavy bikes.  YMMV.
Part of riding is tinkering. Like horses, you gotta handle them, not just ride. Some bikes, more tinkering, some less.
I can see your tool collection growing...

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/16/16 at 19:31:43

wakosama wrote on 04/16/16 at 11:25:57:
"chzeckmate":  thank you.  I'd like to meet another tribe member and see a setup savage regardless if you can show me how to fix mine.  I'll PM...

Happy to help. I'll give you a call tomorrow and we can make arrangements.  I don't have my Savage anymore but I'm always ready to lend a hand. These bikes are pretty simple.  I'm sure we'll get you sorted out in no time.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 14:49:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More starting issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.