Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
el burro pequeño - a scrambler build (Read 2231 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: A Scrambler Build
Reply #30 - 07/21/15 at 21:03:13

A tight to the rear wheel fender wouldn't really go with the scrambler look IMO, but it's your build, not mine
there's not much foam on that seat

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #31 - 07/22/15 at 05:28:56

Thanks for the update.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #32 - 08/05/15 at 14:51:11

Finally finished the mid-controls and have incorporated a centre stand. My phone was running out of battery so will take some more pics tomorrow but I think you get the general idea.
Same as the ryca setup more or less but uses the central engine bolt location and a chunky tab welded onto the frame about 2 inches towards the back. Same type of engine bolt goes through these two chunky tabs - the centre stand pivots on this bolt in the space between the 2 welded tabs. There is also another flat bar going between the two mounting brackets underneath, this provides rigidity and also a brace for the stand when in park position. Centre stand is from a xs650 that I cut up and made to work.

Any advice on mounting the spring? I have tacked up 2 tabs but a spring that I tried just couldn't handle the load and unsprung itself. I need one about 55mm for how it's tacked at the moment. It seems the spring needs to expand quite a way when it's in park mode. What type of spring are these called?
Anyway it all works well and clears the multiple obstacles within the savage setup. Much better for cramped city parking, much more stable than a side stand, and now I can take my back wheel off (and maybe the front) without a jack. Happy in the end.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 08/05/15 at 15:12:27

strang wrote on 08/05/15 at 14:51:11:
Any advice on mounting the spring? I have tacked up 2 tabs but a spring that I tried just couldn't handle the load and unsprung itself. I need one about 55mm for how it's tacked at the moment. It seems the spring needs to expand quite a way when it's in park mode. What type of spring are these called?

How long should the spring be when the stand is up?  and down?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 08/05/15 at 15:24:11

I think your spring on the center stand is not going to work.  I believe they normally go over center so that they are pulling the stand into the locked position when parked.....and that the length of the spring really doesn't change much in either position.  It appears you spring will be half as long when folded up....and that the spring is trying to pull the stand up even when parked.

I will see if I can get a photo of the center stand on my bikes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #35 - 08/05/15 at 15:45:04

And, there's usually a big spring with a smaller spring inside it. So you can have 2 weaker springs instead of stretching the bajeezus out of one tough spring.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #36 - 08/06/15 at 04:30:36

Yeh will have another go at the spring mounting - just rushed it at the end of the session. Mistake I am yet to heed. Looking at every scoot on the way to work this morning - spring mount needs to be close to the axis of the stand so that spring only stretches a minimal amount. Tonight I'll have another go  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 08/06/15 at 04:37:25

I found a photo that may help.  The spring attachment point on the frame need to be very close to the pivot point for the center stand, the mounting point on the stand can be farther away.  When the stand goes down, the spring needs to flop over the center of the pivot point - so that it helps to hold the stand into the upright position.

In order to allow the spring tension to move "over center" when there might be something in the way.....some applications use a curved piece of metal to allow the tension to move around the obstacle.  Here is a plate used on a Honda CB750.

It looks like you could move your spring to the outside of the stand, and use the footpeg mount to attach a post to hold the spring.  It needs to be in a place that is "over center" for the stand in both the up and down positions....so that the springs helps to hold the stand in either position.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #38 - 08/06/15 at 05:27:23

Yes Dave that's the xs650 stand I used - with a slight trim of the feet, the bottom half is exactly the right width to clear the belt on one side and the tyre on the other. May not work with standard position exhausts though as I think right side foot may get caught up in muffler. I actually bollocked around with angled feet centre stand (fail) but then stumbled on the xs650 one in a box of junk and it fit perfect.
The savage doesn't have the cross brace on the frame that could be used as the top mount as on the xs650. I'm gonna have a go at mounting from the right bracket to the side of the right foot tonight and see how I go. I'm new to this fab from scratch shite but I is learnin' loads. Like maybe don't open such a large can next time...  Grin
Thanks for photos.

« Last Edit: 08/06/15 at 07:06:24 by strang »  
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #39 - 08/06/15 at 13:05:16

left side - cut the connecting rod at the RH thread end and re-threaded with die.

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #40 - 08/07/15 at 06:13:09

Definetly interesting that centerstand, how much did you have to trim off to get it to fit?

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #41 - 08/08/15 at 03:04:45

I had to cut the top section off and weld on a new section as I mounted it completely differently to the way the xs650 stand was originally. Trimmed the feet just 10mm or so for width,
When I take it off next, I will take some comprehensive photos.
I cut my hand on the grinder the other day so am a bit hobbled for a few days.
Have sorted out decompression lever though, gonna start wiring tomorrow - I wanna take it for a spin by the end of next week  Cheesy

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #42 - 08/08/15 at 05:43:08

Ambitious! Looking forward to seeing the result

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #43 - 08/09/15 at 10:33:10

Started electrics today.
New coil position and bracket made from generic bookshelf brackets.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #44 - 08/09/15 at 10:52:18

I cut my hand on the grinder the other day ..

OUCH! Man, that doesn't take long to do. Things what move metal move skin Very efficiently, causing very little wear on IT, ...
Nearly Every encounter I've had with the bench grinder has been shallow and seems like the friction cauterized the cut, once I got the radius of the edge ground in,, it didn't bleed near as much as a regular cut like that.
You got a hand held grinder, cut off grinder and wire wheel grinder?
Torch?
I couldn't see the pics of the book case bracket.  I'm always happy to see problem solving like that. Tools, shops, Hmmm, Boy, like dropping a woman in a mall..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 06:34:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › el burro pequeño - a scrambler build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.