Send Topic Print
Busted Rear bearings (Read 181 times)
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Busted Rear bearings
11/17/14 at 11:24:52

Hi All,

I took apart my rear wheel this past weekend to investigate a grinding noise i heard when rolling the bike recently. I have had odd rear tire wear in the past and i thought it might be from the drum sticking, but i found out it was the rear bearings. [img][/img] I replaced the ones in the wheel with brand new completely sealed bearings and kept the one in the pulley wheel because it was still spinning freely and i was only able to get the bearings from a local used motorcycle shop that was open on sunday (but they are brand new). I didn't  even know the pulley had it's own bearings. Anyway, i was looking at the parts diagrams and the pictures on this previous thread: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1369522661/1 and i am not sure if i saw that pulley bearing spacer in there. Is that attached to the pulley wheel itself? Does it pop off easily or do you have to pound it off? I don't  think there is play in my rear wheel after torqueing to 50 ftlbs. Please let me know what you guys think as finding those busted bearings was quite alarming to me.

IMG_4482.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Busted Rear bearings
Reply #1 - 11/17/14 at 11:47:38

The bearing spacer that goes in between the pulley bearing just slides in the backside of the pulley hub bearing....and it can just fall out when you set the pulley down.

It has to be in the assembly....or the pressure when you tighten the axle will cause problems.  Normally the pressure just gets squeezed onto the inside races of all the bearings and spacers and snugs them up tightly together.  If you leave out the pulley hub spacer, the force will jam the pulley hub into the rear wheel hub and not allow the cushion to work, and the inner race on the wheel hub bearings will not be tight on the axle.

See how your wheel hub is chewed up on the aluminum spacers between the rubber cushions?  I would not be surprised if you are missing that spacer.  You might be wise to get the hub bearing replaced as well, as it normally gets loose radially and allows the pulley to wobble.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/17/14 at 12:05:49

Thanks Dave! Seems like im learning the hard way on this bike. Any idea where i can get the pulley bearings and rubber oil seal (some fiche call it sproket drum oil) for cheaper than dealership? I want fully sealed ones and already replaced the 2 in the wheel. That one i think is bigger.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/17/14 at 16:33:30

My cousin must have dropped this part when trying to put the tire back together after getting his tire back from ryca.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/17/14 at 17:31:40

I just take the bearings to NAPA or a similar auto store and let them match them up.  They often are sealed on both sides....and sometimes you get a choice.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/17/14 at 19:03:29

I've already changed the ones inside the wheel with sealed ones. I am just waiting for the bulley bearing spacer because they only jave them on the east coast. Then i will change the bigger bearings in the pulley wheel and rubber cover, pretty much rebuilding the entire axle. The new bearings should be fine if i dont ride the bike right? Thanks again for all the info Dave.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/17/14 at 19:17:44

Do you think that riding like that would have put more tension on my cam chain?  was planning to do the tensioner change in 1500 miles on the next oil change. I am at 8500 miles.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/17/14 at 20:24:38

Changing the tensioner won't help anything unless you put a Verslavy in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/18/14 at 03:25:39

HighME32 wrote on 11/17/14 at 19:17:44:
Do you think that riding like that would have put more tension on my cam chain?  was planning to do the tensioner change in 1500 miles on the next oil change. I am at 8500 miles.

No.....stress on the cam chain appears to be related to heat cycles.  Folks who take short rides get less overall miles from their cam chain....while folks who go on really long rides every time they fire up the bike get a lot more miles before it becomes too loose.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #9 - 11/18/14 at 15:31:37

I used AllBalls Racing bearings on my old Honda project.  I checked their product listing, and they make sealed bearings for the Savage, too.  Here is the link to the rear axle bearing/seal kit for the LS650 (86-12): http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1347.html  For $25 you get 3 sealed bearings and a seal.  Hope this helps.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 11/18/14 at 15:49:31

HondaLavis wrote on 11/18/14 at 15:31:37:
I used AllBalls Racing bearings on my old Honda project.  I checked their product listing, and they make sealed bearings for the Savage, too.  Here is the link to the rear axle bearing/seal kit for the LS650 (86-12): http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1347.html  For $25 you get 3 sealed bearings and a seal.  Hope this helps.

That is a good price. From Suzuki the bearings are $ 20.31 for the pulley hub and $ 17.69 each for the wheel hub, and the seal is $ 5.75.  I believe I paid about $ 6.00 to $ 8.00 each for the bearings at the local auto store for the Chinese bearings they had.  I got the seal from the local Suzuki dealer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/18/14 at 19:45:37

Stay away from the auto parts store. Head for the Industrial Supply House. Double the quality,half the price...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 11/19/14 at 03:31:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/18/14 at 19:45:37:
Stay away from the auto parts store. Head for the Industrial Supply House. Double the quality,half the price...

Sadly....all of those have disappeared around here.  We used to have a place called "Bearings Incorporated", and it is gone.  We used to have an absolutely wonderful industrial hardware store called "Aufdenkamps" that had a complete smorgasbord of quality hardware and tools....it is gone.  The only place I know of know is Grainger's, and sometimes they are affordable and other times their products are 3 times a normal cost.

I avoid the Autozone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto when possible and try NAPA and KOI which are often better quality - however the supply of bearings that are not made in China seems to have dried up.  For things like brake rotors you can sometimes get ones that are made in Canada if you pay more.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/19/14 at 21:21:32

Thanks guys, ordered the spacer and rubber cover from dealer. I found the bearings at a local motorcycle parts shop. Now i have to wait til the spacer ships from the east coast.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/19/14 at 21:30:50

I ended up getting Chinese made ones cuz i thought i was in a bind, but they look exactly like the all balls ones. Ends up that i have to replace pulley bearings and wait for spacer. Hope the chinese ones hold up for a while.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 05:40:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Busted Rear bearings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.