Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Recommendations on a front lift/stand (Read 236 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Recommendations on a front lift/stand
Reply #30 - 10/25/14 at 20:01:02

Best to bust things loose before lifting it. Yeah,it'll tend to wobble a bit, you can tie it off. I didn't have to when I did the front tire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 10/25/14 at 20:03:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/20/14 at 10:12:59:
If you can't tie a bowline, you need to learn. Easiest way is tie a slipping, poke the tail in the loop. Then pull the rope that slides the slipping and WOULD,untie it. But. The tail of the rope is through the loop and will fold as it passes thru the loop. Making the bowline , barges are tied together with it. Firemen use it, it's one of the world's most often used knots. No matter how much the load, it ALWAYS comes apart. That and the clove hitch.. You can get things done.

A decent hardware store will have woven rope. It works easier, is less abrasive, than spiral wound rope. I've seen some yellow, plastic/nylon rope that was so slick and stiff I didn't trust a knot to stay in it.

I recently found a really good come along at O'Reilly auto parts. A one piece cable/ratchet drum, ratchet teeth on both ends, durable direction switch, $40.00,, I paid that for the one I bought in the 70's. I've got one I paid less for, but the cable drum/ratchet teeth ARE laminated and nothing about it feels like quality..
If you're needing a come along, well.. I didn't even NEED a new one, but I've been hunting for a quality product ,so IF I needed a come along, I have the option,, fix the cable on the old one, use the crummy Harbor Freight one,and I might, depending on the job, Use the junky one, or, grab my new one.. Lifting, New one, pulling,, probably grab the junk..

Don't buy a cheap piece of junk..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #32 - 10/27/14 at 12:01:01

I guess, to answer my own question, the tried and true 2x4, 2x6, 2x-whatever lift works just fine. In my experience, I can lift the rear end by placing the "jack" almost anywhere. The front end has to have the jack as far forward as possible so the rear will weight itself down and the jack can lift the front only.

Just make sure your jack is rock stable!  You don't want it falling!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:03:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Recommendations on a front lift/stand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.