Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Recommendations on a front lift/stand (Read 236 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Recommendations on a front lift/stand
Reply #15 - 10/20/14 at 22:50:35

I just had a thought: There's this temporary center stand I have for my Monster. It's for lifting the rear to get the back wheel out or whatever. The long pin threads through an unused hole in the crank case. I bet it would fit through the Savage crankcase where that long through bolt holds the foot peg bracket. You just pop the pin through and stand on the side lever. It can be had for around $100.00 from your Ducati shop. I'm not trying it just to see if it works, but if you're interested to know before considering having one, I'll try it for you then.

IMAG07581.jpg
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #16 - 10/21/14 at 04:40:55

I bet Gizzo is a blast to hang out with  Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #17 - 10/21/14 at 05:48:43

What makes you think that? Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 10/21/14 at 07:33:12

Because your brain is always looking at things from outside the box,,
Just because something was designed to do
X doesnt necessarily mean it cant do Y and Z,, too..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 10/21/14 at 08:09:18

Ducati red... that stand should be pretty quick... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 10/21/14 at 13:50:13

Oh. Thanks. Cultural differences caused me to think something else  Embarrassed.
Cheers.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 10/21/14 at 20:56:36

Gizzo:
That 1st pic is, umm... Different!  Grin I'm not knocking it. It's brilliant if it works. I don't think I'm quite that brave yet!

Verslagen1:
I never considered a jack under the foot pegs. I may have to try that. That sounds doable and sturdy enough.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #22 - 10/21/14 at 23:37:40

It's all good. Whatever you're comfortable with. I've been doing it that way since I was shown years ago. Never a problem.
Cheers

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 10/22/14 at 07:25:35

I made the wood lift with the lever and it works great to get the front tire off the ground.  In order to get the rear lifted, I have to move the wood block waaaayyy to the back of the frame.  So close it worries me it will slip.  I have eye bolts for a strap when I'm going to do anything that may shift the bike at all.

Are there differences in the balance from year to year?  I have the side rails and sissy bar removed and have added extremely light weight Mutazu bags but the center of balance was the same with the bike stock.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #24 - 10/23/14 at 20:07:54

I finally found the "sweet spot" to get the front in the air. Took a little trial and error. Well, maybe a little trial and a lot of error!

I have the opposite problem to yours. The rear goes up just fine. The front won't even think about rising unless I've got the jack almost to the very front edge of the frame. It's sturdy as it can be but it looks a little scary.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #25 - 10/24/14 at 03:31:47

I just use a concrete block with a 2x8 on top.
Lift the front end, move bike forward 6 or 8 inches, sit down on block.
Front tire is way in the air.

Of course now, my doctor has forbidden me to lift anything weighing more than 20 lbs. due to my hiatal hernia.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 10/24/14 at 18:33:46

If you have garage door, get a block, get a rope. The block needs to fit snug between the frame and floor while it's on the side stand. Jam it under there, get the rope on the bars,tilt the bike over,lifting the stand off the ground..tie off to the door railing, I don't remember if that got the front off the ground or the rear.. I know it got one of them.
I did it by myself, but if you're not good at tying rope,, Ehh, you do the math...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #27 - 10/25/14 at 04:01:12

If you have an engine hoist, a bit of rope, you've got a bike hoist. They will generally lift much more than our bike weighs.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 10/25/14 at 10:27:49

Yea, but ya pretty much gotta pull the tank, dontchya? Its been a ,long time since I hoisted mine,, I dont remember if I could get a rope in on anything I felt good about lifting by with it on.. For any newbies, IF youre gonna pull the tank, Think about where youre gonna set it down before you get it off..Remember, its got the speedo cable and petcock,, it needs set up on something so at to not kink the cable up, but in a safe, Not Gonna fall kinda spot.. Its okay if you stop here and imagine a guy with both hands loaded with a gas tank and a cable dangling and looking ALLL around for a likely spot to set it ,, you can do that,,

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #29 - 10/25/14 at 10:53:34

Yeah.  I guess you could lift by the front end through the trees or something but I would be worried about bearing damage.  I would suggest pull the tank and tie right at the front end of the frame. And, it will want to a certain extent to fall over so some way to stabilize it from the back would be a good idea. Unless you just lift the whole bike.

Good point about where to put the tank too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:50:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Recommendations on a front lift/stand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.