Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
engine braking (Read 276 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

engine braking
09/30/14 at 06:31:39

So I am searching the forum for info on engine braking the savage. I don't see too much? I engine break from 4 to 3 and 3 to 2? Acceptable? Opinions?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: engine braking
Reply #1 - 09/30/14 at 06:42:34

I do it
think most clutch wear comes from it

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/30/14 at 06:49:40

When cruising along in any gear, I use the throttle to control the speed and will slow down or speed up by using the throttle....and I apply brakes if I need to slow down faster.  If the speed reduction is enough that I need to change gears - most the speed reduction is done with the brakes.  I generally have the throttle open just a pinch while slowing down and I don't allow the throttle to close completely.....as using the engine for braking purposes is where all the pops and bangs and backfires occur.  It is less noisy to use the brakes for braking...then it is to use the engine for braking.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/30/14 at 07:22:25

If I'm not worried about noise, is the engine breaking doing any real harm?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/30/14 at 07:57:39

Jsud04 wrote on 09/30/14 at 07:22:25:
If I'm not worried about noise, is the engine breaking doing any real harm?

An engine breaking does harm....engine braking....not so much.

Engine braking is not going to break anything........the engine still gets oiled, and the parts most likely won't be over-stressed.  Not only are you putting the stress on the engine - you are putting it on the belt drive, the pulleys, the rubber cushion in the rear hub, and the rear tire.

Dowatchyawant........for a long gradual reduction in speed it works fine.  But when you are slowing down at a moderate to fast pace......a combination of front/rear brakes and downshifting is a better riding style.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/30/14 at 08:29:38

Dave wrote on 09/30/14 at 07:57:39:
Dowatchyawant........for a long gradual reduction in speed it works fine.  But when you are slowing down at a moderate to fast pace......a combination of front/rear brakes and downshifting is a better riding style.  

truedat...

For a newb, operating 2 levers, a throttle, a shifter and a pedal all in perfect synchronicity is near impossible and not recommended... but sweet when you can.  Cool

The advantage (as I see it) of engine braking is with our touchy rear brake, moderate to heavy braking can be done with a more confidence, as the engine will aid in preventing the rear wheel from locking up.

WWW   IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/30/14 at 08:36:08

LOL good call Dave...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/30/14 at 08:48:32

Man,, Downshifting & lissnin to it fart & grumble is half of the fun of riding a Savage.. The other half is seeing how quick itll get across town,, AND in order to do that Youve gotta use the transmission,, comin and goin,, You can upshift w/o even touching the clutch, from 2nd on up, and you can go from 5th down to 2nd, To learn, play with it from 4th to 5th,, do that and youll learn it..& believe me, it can make some pretty awful noises and you can jerk it around REAL hard & not hurt a thing.. I KNow,, cuz I did that, when I was TRying to figure out how to downshift into first w/o a clutch,,, It CAN be done, I did it a few times, BUT, when it doesnt work well,, it is really not good.. so, I dont play around with first..
Theres no way the clutch sees more wear from downshifting, as long as you sync the engine up to the transmission as you go.. and Id never dream of downshifting without gassin it.. ever,,

Its a dang shame theres not a place to go to spend a day learning to drive old trucks,, ya know? Just a dango 2 ton would be good enough. Learn to double clutch and downshift to set up for a turn..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 09/30/14 at 10:33:42

I engine brake 5th, do a McQueen style double clutch, engine brake 3rd, then use front brake to stop...
..not 'cause it's the right way,.. just 'cause it sounds cool... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 09/30/14 at 20:37:59

$$$$brake pads cheaper than clutch/trans!!!! Cheesy

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 09/30/14 at 20:51:43

These bikes slow down pretty quickly when you are off the gas. It's just the nature of a single. Most of the time I engine brake because it's almost as good as using the real brakes. I use the front and rear brakes to stop but not to slow down unless I have to slow down very quickly.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/30/14 at 21:40:30

Zip,,it's not Hurting it.. READ the post,,How matters.. if someone is not In Tune with machines,then maybe brakes are the Best thing..
I sold mine with 20,000 miles on it.. I had been forced to wire the rubber on one peg,because I had dragged it through so many turns it was cut on the bottom. The end cap was close to falling off. It was running better than ever,just did the raptor,zero shift problem,,clutch was just fine.. Who is doing the doing matters.. I'm seriously just a natural. I grabbed a 3 speed,on the column pick-up when I was probably 5or so.. I only went to second ,I Was in an alfalfa field,holding myself up by the wheel,working pedals and steering. I didn't kill it,smoke the clutch or lug it.. I got a talking to, but I guess I did a good enough job of driving that they were too impressed to spank me,,.
If you've never driven a big truck,it would help you understand how a machine really works.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #12 - 10/01/14 at 08:41:09

AMA grand national flat track bikes didn't have brakes on them until 1969 when they became optional and weren't required until '77. To me, engine braking is part of motorcycling. Sometimes I find myself hitting one of the brake levers just to activate the brake light. I figure if the drive train is strong enough withstand me wrenching the throttle open, it ought to be strong enough take closing it (smoothly and within reason).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/01/14 at 09:13:24

cafecarl wrote on 10/01/14 at 08:41:09:
AMA grand national flat track bikes didn't have brakes on them until 1969 when they became optional and weren't required until '77. 

So....You suggesting we throw the bike sideways whenever we need to scrub off some speed?

IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - 10/19/14 at 20:32:57

Matching engine and transmission for slowing down in normal time, so to speak by downshifting is just normal riding or driving isn't it? I've driven standard cars and trucks most of my life too, from nasty old Chevy three-speeds to easy, synchro-mesh five speed Japanese cars, and I'm always amazed when I talk to people driving standard cars who say they push in the clutch and brake only...always...are you kidding me???? It's rare, but such people are out there and I really don't get it. By downshifting, I get 100 thousand kms, or about 60 thousand miles out of front brakes on my vehicles. I have a 99 Toyota Rav 4 with original back brakes, fourth set of front pads and recently,  new rotors from original installed about 20 000 kms ago. The Rav has 428 000 kms on it. Downshifting to brake is an integral and natural part of any standard vehicle. Find an automatic if this concept doesn't make sense, is my determination and reasoning.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 09:17:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine braking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.