Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rebuild done (Read 80 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rebuild done
09/23/14 at 16:03:19

So I have resurrected my bike. Overhauled head, new piston, new rings, new cam chain, all adjusted and running. And for all of this I have this forum to thank... So thanks...

But I do have two final questions, essentially I am doing a half break in...so can I wait till the 4000 mile point to recheck the head nuts. Also I am getting a tapping at round 1500 rpm. It goes away faster or at idle. I know it's comming from the valves, but they are adjusted at tdc resistance at .004...runs fine otherwise...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rebuild done
Reply #1 - 09/23/14 at 18:17:35

Since you are breaking in the rings....avoid any high rpm and/or full throttle running.....or steady state cruising for a few tanks.  When I broke in my new piston I avoided using anymore than 1/2 throttle for the first couple of tanks...just cruised around on the local back roads for a few weeks.  These back roads are all 30 - 45 mph stuff and it is a great way to go easy on the bike....really isn't any need for much throttle.  With each tank you can get a little more aggressive....once you have 300-400 miles I would expect you can ride "business as usual".

For the ticking....you might just check and be sure the decompression shaft is fully retracted when the engine is running.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/24/14 at 02:29:58

Cool, thanks. Did you retorque the head at 400 or just wait till 4000?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/24/14 at 03:20:02

I never did re-torque the head..........most of use never do.  Three of the nuts are exposed to the elements and corrode onto the studs....so to re-torque them you need to remove them one at a time, lubricate the threads, and then torque them.  The 4th one is under the head cover and rubber plug, and it requires pulling the head cover.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 11:22:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rebuild done

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.