Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
do i need to change my brake fluid? (Read 212 times)
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
do i need to change my brake fluid?
08/28/14 at 16:30:51

my front brake lever has gotten softer and softer... now to the point where it can touch the handlebar when I apply brake.

Does this mean for sure I need to change brake fluid? Could it be anything else?

thanks!!

(Tried to check the fluid reservoir but screws on it are so stripped I can't get it off .. will need to get a better tool before I change.)

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: do i need to change my brake fluid?
Reply #1 - 08/28/14 at 16:43:15

Wouldn't hurt to change it.BUT..I would check the pads.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 08/28/14 at 16:58:50

Or check for any leak?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 08/28/14 at 17:27:14

2000 correct ? If that's the original fluid it's definitely ready for a change. Can you see the level in the sight glass on the master cylinder ? If the pads are not worn out,and there is no visible external leak, the other possibility is that the brake hose between the Master cylinder and the caliper is getting soft. When you squeeze the lever the hose is just swelling up instead of transferring the pressure to the caliper.

Going to be tough to figure it out till you get the top off the reservoir though, and can see how much fluid is in there and what it looks like.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/29/14 at 06:37:02

Watch the hose,, pads move IN,, they STOP, but if the hose has started getting a hernia, then it will allow fluid buildup inside. 'Course, Check the pads, thats just part of looking for a problem with brakes, but I suspect the hose.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 08/29/14 at 17:07:39

+ 1 what jog said. Change the fluid for sure,but see if the hose moves when you apply the brake. If it does,it's time for a new hose. I' ve just swapped all the rubber hoses on my other bike for braided and the difference in feel is amazing. Before,the lever would go back to the grip ,now it's nice and firm and stops better.

IP Logged
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/29/14 at 17:26:23

Not to be the safety police...
Its WAY WAY more important to STOP than to GO. IF this were my bike, I'd treat it as un-rideable till I fixed it.  

Depending how bad the stripped screws are

you can try an impact screw driver.  Harbor frieght for five bucks the all metal one is better

the screws are probably "Japanese industrial screws" and need the screw driver from toolkit or order the screwdrivers (i found my on amazon) but I bet your past this point as a viable option

very lastly is left hand drill bits and a screw extractor...but on a master cylinder reservoir...sounds dicey

I just chked ebay 20$ gets a used master cylinder or rebuild kit

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 08/29/14 at 18:58:31

Hey, to help out the OP (and maybe some others) anyone have a link to a good replacement brake hose that's a bolt-on for our bikes with stock bars?  Both OEM-ish and/or braided?

I imagine there's different lengths for different years of the LS650/Savage/S40 because of the change in the handlebar configuration over the production years.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 08/30/14 at 02:14:46

theres some on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsu...

If you order, it might pay to measure yours first and email the seller to check the length: When I ordered my Ducati ones the set they sent were completely wrong. They did, however, take my measurements and make a new set at their cost  Cool.

IP Logged
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
Reply #9 - 09/01/14 at 08:15:18

Brake fluid is hydroscopic which means it absorbs water from the atmosphere.
I have an Intruder 1400 that uses brake fluid to operate the clutch.
the Intruder 1400 got really really hot at Sturgis 4 years ago. In fact it got so hot that the water absorbed by the brake fuild boiled. Steam is NOT compressible so my clutch was toast.
The solution was simply to shut it down for an hour by which time the fluid had cooled and the clutch was working again. When I got home the first thing was to do a fluid change.
I would definitely change the brake fluid periodically.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/01/14 at 10:08:03

My 2000 ST1100 that I bought in the fall had the original brake fluid in it, and it was turning orange and gummy, and the front brake lever was a bit "notchy".....it would move in jerky motions when pulled.

I drained the fluid, took the master cylinder apart and cleaned out the goo, and put in new fluid and bled it.  It then worked great.

I don't know exactly how often you should change fluids - I imagine it makes difference if the bike is stored indoors, only ridden on sunny days.....or stored outdoors in the wet.  But.....an 87 it is definitely overdue for a change.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/01/14 at 11:08:10

brake fluid comes clear, any change its due for a change.

1 small bottle is all it takes... $2 3 bucks... getrdone.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 09/01/14 at 15:23:46

The stock front brake pads really stink, the ones on my '02 wore out in under 5000 miles of regular riding. I would check the brake pads first and then worry about changing the fluid.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 09/02/14 at 06:11:31

Fluid ought to be changed every couple years at the longest, as a service item. It's easy to overlook, though. I'm as bad as anyone for leaving it til the brake feels spongy. On a bike its easy but I CBF doing my cars as often as I should...

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #14 - 09/02/14 at 14:02:42

There is a local place here in town that will make brake lines, but they need to know about the fittings. Does anyone know the specifics, I know they are banjos, but other than that and taking the hose off and taking it in, I have no idea. Any ideas on parts numbers, etc for the fittings so I can see if they can make me a line?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 17:24:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › do i need to change my brake fluid?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.