Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine dies when I let go of the throttle (Read 114 times)
wiscoz88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wisconsin
Engine dies when I let go of the throttle
09/17/14 at 07:30:05

Just looking for some advice on troubleshooting…here's the backstory:

2009 Boulevard S40
3800 miles when I bought it in June, 4660 miles currently
Usually ride 3-4 days a week to work, 15 mile roundtrip
Garage-kept, hasn’t been out in weather yet (with me at least…)
No major issues, replaced front brakes about six weeks ago

On the first start-up of the day I typically leave the choke out for about 10-15 seconds but yesterday morning it was running pretty loud so I pushed the choke in immediately and it returned to normal. Took a couple minutes to get my gear on, then headed out. No problems for about a mile, went through a couple stop signs/lights, then as I pulled the clutch in, coming down a hill towards another stoplight, it died on me. I was able to get it restarted mid-coast, but as soon as I took my hand off the throttle again, the engine wound down and died. It had less than a quarter tank, so I pulled into a gas station hoping that was the issue, but no luck. When I re-started with a full tank, I had to twist the throttle to get it to fire up. I was able to keep the bike functional by rolling on the throttle anytime I pulled in the clutch, but I took it home after about 15 minutes since it didn’t seem to be improving.

This morning I tried again, same deal. The bike ran great through the first three stop signs, started dying about a mile into the ride...  

Is it possible the outside temp is a factor? Start-up is fine in a garage at about 65-70 degrees, but when I get on the road it's about 45-50. This is the first time I've ridden in colder temps so not sure if this is just an extremely cold-blooded bike.

Any/all advice would be appreciated  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine dies when I let go of the throttle
Reply #1 - 09/17/14 at 07:51:35

I'd take that dude out and go for a Ride. I mean ride for at least 45minutes ,maybe an hour. Pay attention to the idle speed. Mine changed so much I'd hafta fiddle with it every time I rode. MAke sure it's not too low. That's a good way to ruin the head. The cam won't get enough oil if the idle is low.
Also,just letting the gas off fast can tend to make the RPM fall below idle. If the problem is causing a low idle then adjust it up. Wasting a little gas beats damaging the head.
Have you done anything to it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #2 - 09/17/14 at 08:38:18

When the bike starts acting up, switch the petcock to the prime position.  If this resolves the issue, then it is time for a Raptor petcock.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/17/14 at 09:20:08

ls650v wrote on 09/17/14 at 08:38:18:
When the bike starts acting up, switch the petcock to the prime position.  If this resolves the issue, then it is time for a Raptor petcock.

Yep, I would check this first.  The pilot jet is higher than the main jet in the float bowl, so if the fuel level is low in the bowl it can cause idle problems before it shows running problems at higher throttle settings.   Also at idle the engine vacuum may not be enough to operate a vacuum petcock that is beginning to fail.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/17/14 at 09:24:23

Good point.. The rubber IS getting some age on it... and if this bunch has learned anything,it's that the petcock can cause some odd problems.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #5 - 09/17/14 at 10:49:42

I had the same issue with my 2011 with only 1800 miles.  A combination of three treatments solved the problem

1. the Raptor petcock
2. cleaned the TEV valve
3. dropped the carb bowl. Cleaned idle and main jet

I thought the S40 was a mistake when I bought it because the issues you are describing, I had from the beginning.  Now my machine runs like a dream.  Hope you get it figured out.

2011 S40 Raptor petcock. idle screw 2 turns out
  IP Logged
wiscoz88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/19/14 at 07:13:43

Thanks for the advice guys, haven't had a chance to take it out again but tomorrow for sure. Is it dangerous to run the bike in prime for an extended trip? Say 100-120 miles?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/19/14 at 07:18:00

the danger is you have no reserve.  
when you're outta gas, you're outta gas.

WWW   IP Logged
wiscoz88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/23/14 at 15:29:08

Thanks for the help guys...switched it to prime and it runs like a dream. Stock petcock is getting the heave-ho this weekend.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 12:15:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine dies when I let go of the throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.