The Chrome Wars (Read 9524 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: The Chrome Wars
Reply #195 - 03/02/15 at 09:23:15

Was snooping around on you tube looking at the reviews for the RCA tablet I bought.
Lots of folks are commenting on my video and saying their RCA 10 pro is dead or has died or won't power on any longer.
Seen a video about the 7" version from a news station. I guess last year they sold a lot of RCA tablets that the batteries expanded.
They are the foil pouch battery packs and if left charging for a long time, they will expand due to a heat reaction.
Also found out that the company RCA does not exist any longer, it is just a bunch of Chinese corporations that own rights to the name and use it to produce the products.
So I guess what i'm saying is.... if its cheap and Chinese.... hope like heck you get a GOOD ONE.  Grin
Mine is still running great by the way.... I use it on a daily basis.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #196 - 03/02/15 at 10:08:53

I think the best way to store a battery anything these days is fully charged and TURNED TOTALLY OFF.   Never leave stuff on charge for weeks at a time -- it destroys the battery.

Fully charged, then turn them off and store them off.  Periodically take them out and charge them back up every 3 months or so ..... if you can remember to do that.

Old_Rider,  how is the performance of your Chinese cheapie ARM Android "laptop" compared to your Windows laptops in doing normal day to day type stuff?

Folks need to realize that the "day to day stuff" ARM/Windows performance gap has narrowed to near zero and the ARM/Windows performance gap is indeed verging on going the other way now ..... as Win 8.1 is still WAY WAY WAY too fat slow and porky and the ARM stuff is constantly getting quicker and more powerful.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #197 - 03/02/15 at 17:12:25

Well, even though the RCA PRO 10 is only a "tablet with keyboard", the dang thing is amazingly fast.
I don't play games on the RCA PRO, but they do play smoothly (tried several just for giggles), I use it mainly for web browsing, and reading.
I use my 17inch HP Pavilion Laptop with AMD A10 (Elite quad core), Windows 8.1 while i'm sitting in the living room.
Everywhere else, I use the RCA PRO 10 tablet with ARM cortex A9 (quad core) with kit kat 4.4.2
And really the only differences in the two is.... the HP has a cd/dvd player, and the keyboard on the HP is easier to use because it is a normal size, well that and the 17" monster screen.
Of course storage size on board is totally different (500gb vrs 16gb), but I added a 32gb mini sd (max) and can use several memory sticks for the tablet to use as storage.
I did not buy the RCA PRO 10 to replace the laptops just "supplement" them on a daily basis, but if one of my laptops breaks down, I will probably not buy another one, unless they haven't broken the memory barrier for the tablets, then to play my monster games i'll have to.
And my games are the only reason I have a laptop or PC, I have to have massive storage and tons of video memory.
The ease of use, compact size, fewer accessories, and less weight makes a tablet with keyboard an equal to a laptop.
The RCA PRO using chrome is actually faster on web browsing than my laptop using windows IE.... the android system rocks.
With everything on the net now (movies, games, music), I don't see how laptops or pc's are going to live much longer.
They are doing wonders with memory now.... smaller size and larger memory.... they are selling 128gb memory sticks in wally world now... and you showed the 200gb micro, only thing is, most tablets cannot handle any more than a 32gb micro, but I am sure the Chinese since they make both the tablets and memory will soon make them compatible.

Oh and as an add.... I paid $650 at Walmart for the HP Pavilion 2 years ago and only paid $89 for the tablet.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #198 - 03/03/15 at 10:10:21

old_rider wrote on 03/02/15 at 17:12:25:
Oh and as an add.... I paid $650 at Walmart for the HP Pavilion 2 years ago and only paid $89 for the tablet.

Well said.    My new little phone is a ho-hum quad A-7 and it is faster doing simple things than my desktop unit, which is just amazing to me.

Windows 10 for ARM is now at the first level internal "dogfood" stage, where MS programmers are required to carry and use an ARM Win 10 phone 100% of the time so they get their noses constantly rubbed in what needs fixing.   Nadella is personally doing likewise and I bet his problems do get fixed ASAP.

This is good -- I hold no real hopes for the CISC processor main PC version ever getting lighter or quicker since so much "compatibility layer" fat has to be maintained with it.  

I am looking to Win 10 ARM to be the future of MS's OS products.

Since the decision was already made to JUST PLAIN DROP all the RT back  history stuff, Win 10 arm can be written specifically for new 64 bit ARM products and it can get a small light quick start position (in as much as MS can ever do that sort of stuff).

Also, the mobile/tablet apps are "universal" type apps that carry just what they need, always depending on the version of Win 10 that is on the device to supply the rest.

So, device makers will likely get free to cheap Win 10 that matches up well with ARM chipsets and any MS "Universal" app will run on the device.   Quickly, I hope.

I look to see a crop of monitor looking desktop PCs be born immediately at very reasonable prices since phone components will live inside the monitor case right on the monitor board pieces.

The TV makers are already doing this with Android already on most modern TVs  ..... this will be an easy do item, not a bridge too far at all for all the monitor and TV makers.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #199 - 03/03/15 at 12:34:53

It looks as though i'm going to be off a little on the "Information station".... which will take the place of your 60" LED Smart TV in the future. It will be another 5 years....
Yup, look for the cable companies to start pushing phone tech into the TV's with integrated mic's and camera's for regular calls and skyping right from your living room. Along with what they can already do now, if they add a hard drive to it and more usb's, you will have a pc too.....  
Yup a total information station.....
And I believe that the next generation of tablets will include cell tech..... won't that be a blast!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #200 - 03/05/15 at 07:00:53

Acer launches a Chromebox with Core i3 Haswell

"The new Acer Chromebox CXI-i34KGM features an Intel Core i3-4030U dual-core processor, 4GB of RAM, and 16GB of storage and sells for $350.

There’s also an Acer Chromebox XXI-i38KGM model with 8GB of RAM and a $400 price tag.

Both models feature 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, Gigabit Ethernet, four USB 3.0 ports (including two that can charge a phone or tablet even when the Chromebox is turned off), a microSD card slot, and HDMI output with support for 4K displays.

Like most Chromeboxes, the the Acer CXI is a compact PC with a case that measures just 6.8″ x 5.5″ x 2.3″.

Acer isn’t the only company to offer a Chrome OS desktop with a Core i3 Haswell processor. Dell and Asus also have models with similar chips. But Acer is one of the first companies I’m aware of to offer a model with 8GB of RAM."

While the Win 8.1 Bing OS ChromeBoxKillers sputter along with their lack of resources and slow for the OS processors, a new phenomena has cranked up -- what can you do if you spend the same money on a Chromebox that you would spend on an "adequately tricked out" ChromeBoxKiller?    

Instead of getting just a little Win to spread thinly across your bread what do you get with a whole whoppin' big load of Chrome for the same money?

Well, all three of the major makers have one now and they do have enough sales going on with the superchromeboxes to keep on making them.    And ChromeOS is developing "power users" to buy them.

Smiley       Americans and their power tools, ya gotta love them.

« Last Edit: 03/08/15 at 21:04:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #201 - 03/08/15 at 21:37:05

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2890812/mediatek-wants-to-put-its-chips-in-chr...

http://www.omgchrome.com/expect-broadwell-chromebooks/

MediaTek and Rockchip and Intel

Intel has now rolled out its 14nm "high end" ChromeWar chipset, with no integration beyond a separate 22nm video chip on board with a lackuster less than 10% speed improvement, but with some battery life improvement and some 10-20%  video speed improvement.

It is a flop from the gate, being already pre-overcome by all the new big new guns from Tegra K1 and X1 and Mediatek and Samsung and Qualcomm.  

It is also quite expensive to produce, comparatively.

So, Intel has to go buy a chipset to exist in the Chrome Wars the second half of this year since their next up chipsets are  the Intel Core i3 stuff that are supposed to sell at a premium to PAY for the contra revenue spending down in the Chrome Zone.   Core i3 isn't energy efficient enough for a Chromebook, so you will only see them showing up in the plug in the wall socket style Chrome Boxes.

Somebody else's chipset is needed in the Chrome Book Zone, immediately.   Or else a total redesign of the Broadwell 14nm chipset to render it competitive.

Intel is known to be in talks with Mediatek to buy and rename brand their Helios X10 64 bit Octa Core product to use in the Chrome Book Zone.   They have pushed Rockchip to go there too, but Rockchip is notoriously slow to go do things (more so after having been Intel'd already once).

Some speculate Intel has offered tenders to buy Mediatek complete (or else a large chunk of it) as that is what Wall Street Pundits keep saying Intel should do (and have been saying it for years now).

Intel's clumsy "can't succeed" has begun to lap over from phones and tablets to the Chrome Zone and they are starting to try to name brand other people's products in these "can't succeed" areas.  

Having mauled one Chinese name branding partner already, Intel is finding the next one harder to approach.     Being able to buy a 20% share in Spreadtrum isn't floating Intel's boat very well as Spreadtrum only does very very low end ARM chipsets and that does not include the Chrome Book Zone.

At 28nm ARM vendors were better than Intel was at 22nm.   At 20nm ARM vendors are better than Intel is at 14nm.   16nm ARM will be a similar story to 20nm as far as Intel goes.  14nm fully integrated and past that point, ARM vendors are actually arriving there first and shipping production runs of finished products before Intel even gets into volume first chip production.

Intel is going to have to "partner" with Chinese Chipmakers from now on in order to do anything significant past this point, which means their sourced chip product prices will have to carry two profit margins.

Intel is rowing a very very leaky boat at this stage of the game and cannot keep up with the bailing and the paddling that is required and Intel is starting to flounder about not making a lot of progress.

But they have enough money to flounder around for another 3-4 years, doing occasional downsizings, etc.   Lots of PR noise, not much progress.

Undecided      .....  if Samsung and Apple produce 10nm chipsets before Intel does, it begins to look grim for Intel.

« Last Edit: 03/13/15 at 20:02:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #202 - 03/08/15 at 21:46:37

Oldfeller, does AMD chip maker still exist, or have they been relegated to the fries department?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #203 - 03/08/15 at 22:37:46

Nobody can buy AMD as a functional company because the "endless" x86 license that Intel granted to AMD so long ago would immediately evaporate.

AMD only owns the ATI graphics patents and Intel has cross licensing rights to that (part of the last X86 legal settlement).   You did notice Intel on board graphics got better lately, right?

Functionally, Intel is sucking the blood out of AMD and with no money to spend AMD's last wonder-chip in Mobil wasn't very wonderful.    It and the HP laptops it got put into flopped immediately.   After one small run HP went over to Tegra K1 chipsets.

AMD will just quietly go down the tubes sometimes in the next year or two as nobody can buy them because they are all twisted up with Intel.

AMD sold all their foundry stuff (at the 32nm level) to the Global Foundry Consortium years and years ago and Global is still in business. actually doing better than AMD is actually.   Global is "in consortium" with Samsung and IBM to develop 14nm processes and Global will crank up two of the Samsung style 14nm lines the second half of this year ......

ATI is still a viable part of AMD and ATI/Radeon is still a leader in low cost high value PCI Buss Video Cards -- but the PCI Buss Video slots and the desktops they went into are all going away at an amazing rate so that too is a dying business.

Fries, within a year or so I am afraid ......

Last buy out rumor was a Chinese company that only wanted the ATI/Radeon stuff, but that arrangement really didn't go anywhere because Intel has cross licensing rights and Intel wants to be the only one left holding the ATI/Radeon IP when the music stops.

Intel owned and co-owned IP is so interwoven into AMD/ATI/Radeon that it would be hard to not get sued by Intel over something or another if you did buy the tottering corpse and tried to actually use any of it.   Likely Intel would wind up co-owning your IP as well.

You would wind up donating neck blood to Intel ongoing just like AMD is doing now .....

« Last Edit: 03/10/15 at 07:47:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #204 - 03/09/15 at 01:31:10

Sorry to hear that, my first computer brought in 2000 and running Windows 98se had an AMD chip and I really liked it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #205 - 03/09/15 at 07:48:20

Fun Thread and I found this while doing taxes:

If I recall right, this was my first Pentium class and first AMD computer at home. I had used AMD 386 and am Intel 486SX.  Every home desktop I have ever had since this one was been AMD. My current one which is now pretty old is first gen 8 core AMD ( 8120 I think).

I have to agree though, I figure AMD is on the ropes and has been for along while. A freind tried to talk me into buying stock in AMD ( as he did) several years ago. No go. I figure it like this: AMD is the alternate Intel... but if Intel aint making big bucks... then AND is hurting big time.   AMD has tried with the APU ( dumb idea if you ask me), and if I recall they also make other chips ( such that CPU's do NOT account for 100%) of revenue. I never did like the buy-out of ATI. And if it hadn't been for blockchain mining, the Radeon cards would have been losing tons of money.  Don't get me wrong I own 7850 cards,  and am using them to 24/7 for folding proteins.  

Shameless plus for Folding at home: http://folding.stanford.edu/

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #206 - 03/09/15 at 08:02:02

A hundred pound tower, never had one that big.

They made some big 'uns back in the day, didn't they?

Shame is a phone or a tablet today has more processing muscle than those big fan noise boxes ever did.

I can remember waiting MINUTES for my computer to boot and taking 4-6 hours to download a large file on my 24 baud modem ......

(with like 50-50 odds that it would be uncorrupted after I got it).

...... oh yes, them was the glory days of computing, weren't they?

My first gun board was a phone modem based email back & forth board.   It was called Shooters and it was the cat's meow, state of the friggin' art all the way.    

It went through 4 waves of change technologically, had the realm holders go broke twice (went to Abu Dhabi to live at a rich Arab's house once) and wound up in the end as Cast Boolits.com which survives today (strange spellings and all) although most of my old buds have died off one at a time over the years.   You can still see traces of Oldfeller if you go there and hit the search function or look in the stickies.   Or hell, just ask Google for an Oldfeller mold, my custom molds are still sold by Midsouth Shooters Supply.

Computers and chatting with like minded people have been a large part of my amusement life throughout the second part of  it.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 03/10/15 at 07:49:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #207 - 03/09/15 at 08:26:36

http://liliputing.com/2015/03/asus-zenfone-2-launches-in-china-for-158-and-up...

WOWZERS BATMAN --- HERE COME THE INTEL PHONES ......

Asus ZenFone 2 launches in Taiwan for $158 and up

"All four models feature Android 5.0 Lollipop software, Intel Atom processors, IPS displays with wide viewing angles, support for 4G LTE networks, Bluetooth 4.0, and microSD card slots.

Here are the specs for each model available at launch:

$158 Asus ZenFone 2 (ZE500CL)

5 inch, 1280 x 720 pixel display
1.6 GHz Intel Atom Z2560 Clover Trail+ processor
2GB RAM
16GB storage
8MP rear and 2MP front cameras
802.11b/g/n WiFI
2500mAh battery
$190 Asus ZenFone 2 (ZE550ML)

5.5 inch, 1280 x 720 pixel display
1.8 GHz Intel Atom Z3560 Moorefield processor
2GB RAM
16GB storage
13MP rear and 5MP front cameras
802.11ac WiFI
NFC
3000mAh battery
$222 Asus ZenFone 2 (ZE551ML)

5.5 inch, 1920 x 1080 pixel display
1.8 GHz Intel Atom Z3560 Moorefield processor
2GB RAM
32GB storage
13MP rear and 5MP front cameras
802.11ac WiFi
NFC
3000mAh battery
$285 Asus ZenFone 2 (ZE551ML)

5.5 inch, 1920 x 1080 pixel display
2.3 GHz Intel Atom Z3580 Moorefield processor
4GB RAM
32GB storage
13Mp rear and 5MP front cameras
802.11ac WiFi
NFC
3000mAh battery
Keep in mind that all of these phones are unlocked, and the listed prices are converted from Taiwanese currency to US dollars. The prices could be a little different when the phones go on sale in US and Europe, and it’s not clear if all four models will be available in every market.

I was reasonably impressed with the demo units I saw at CES in January, especially given the phone’s low price. I’d kind of suspected that Asus had been overpromising on the pricing front, but now that the phones are actually available it looks like the prices really are pretty close to what the company had promised."

Here is the video review:     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDJy2J_ldaE

Roll Eyes

Intel takes the field with a cost supported low end Android phone that looks like it actually works -- but will anybody buy them and will the Intel tweeked Android version actually get supported by anybody two years from now?

Go buy one ...... and really, I do  ---  I expect that Intel will have more $$$ in it than you do ......

But Intel can tell their angry stockholders they are finally selling Android phones with a real Intel Intel chipset in it.    (even though Asus actually had to use somebody else's graphics chip VR G6430 to be precise, instead of the Intel on board graphics)

Cheesy      ..... and when the stockholders go looking for the real cost to produce it will be well well hidden up inside PC overall.  

Intel, the smoke and mirrors company.   Substandard stuff, but well marketed.   Contra-revenue is our speciality.   We hide our real costs from everybody, including our stockholders.   We pay our vendors well ..... and our PR releases lie like a rug.

What shall the Antutu testing say ???    Being such a make or break, will Intel try to cheat on the Antutu testing yet again?

Errant Thought -- HDMI out to a PC monitor and Bluetooth to a keyboard and mouse and you got yerself a dockable Android PC/Phone here.

Ubuntu, eat yer heart out .....  wait, being so PC like I bet Ubuntu will already run on this phone.

NOTE:  Price has already jumped $100 on the 4 gig phone on day two of the announcement period.   That smells about like standard Intel PR poo.

They also had to use VR Graphics instead of the stock Intel graphics -- that is a docking station Ubuntu killer right there.

« Last Edit: 03/10/15 at 07:52:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #208 - 03/09/15 at 09:43:18

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Asus-releases-the-Zenfone-2-slaps-sub-300-pric...

Asus releases the Zenfone 2, slaps sub-$300 price tag on the 4 GB RAM model

"ZE551ML (5.5″, 1080p display, 4GB RAM, 32GB) – 8990 NT$ (~US $285)
ZE551ML (5.5″, 1080p display, 2GB RAM, 32GB) – 6990 NT$ (~US $221)
ZE550ML (5.5″, 720p display, 2GB RAM, 16GB) – 5990 NT$ (~US $190)
ZE550CL (5″, 720p display, 2GB RAM, 16GB) – 4990 NT$ (~US $158)

This month, the Zenfone 2 models will travel to China, Hong Kong, Singapore and France, while next month they will be rolled out to India, Italy and Southeast Asia, while Brazil can expect it in June. Asus expects to turn a profit from the smartphone division this year, with a forecast of 17 million handsets shipped. The Zenfone 2 in question will be made by Pegatron, a total of 500,000 units have been ordered for March, then a million next month, and these can be scaled up to 3 million units a month if there is sufficient demand for the new handsets. Judging from those prices, demand will be there, so we can't wait to get the first 4 GB RAM unit in our shaky hands."

Antutu ranking will be out shortly on the 4 gig model.  Previous released Beta version of this phone (lesser screen rez) pulled a 50,000 on Antutu which outranked most all of last year's phones, but will be lacking compared to the top 5 in this year's pack.

With a good docking station and 4 gigs of systems memory and 32 gigs of on board memory this phone at this $289 price may be a hit, and Intel you certainly need a hit phone right now.

(even if Intel can't really afford all the price support dollars needed for a really really big hit --- watch the price shoot on up if it becomes popular)

Smiley     oooooh, change she comes .....   wait for it, wait for it --

Windows 10 and the video/keyboard/mouse docking station is needed to complete the mash up.

Go Wintel !!!!  Give Google and Android and Ubuntu something to shoot for !!!

NOTE:  Price has already jumped >$100 on the 4 gig phone on day two of the announcement period.

That smells about like standard Intel sloppy PR poo.

Also note the VR G6430 Graphics chip clarification blows up any possible compatibility with any alternate OS systems (VR Graphics is very non-open and will not get touched with a 10 ft pole by Ubuntu or any other distro).

Intel has bought themselves a fairly high priced "show up" phone, in other words.  When Intel backs away from the support dollars ASUS will stop producing the item -- ditto if it doesnt sell quickly enough at the new higher prices.

« Last Edit: 03/10/15 at 07:54:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #209 - 03/10/15 at 08:30:21

OK, recap -- Intel has now shipped their 14nm chips to Apple only about a year later than originally planned and Apple is in current production on their next (and possibly last) set of Intel based laptops and desktops.

Not much splash was done by Apple over these laptops and desktops.

Why?   Same reason you didn't hear about it for much -- there isn't much improvement out of the new Intel chipsets other than losing the fan and picking up an hour of laptop life.

INTEL DID NOT GET ANY REALLY MASSIVE (GREATER THAN 10%) SPEED OR BATTERY LIFE IMPROVEMENT GOING FROM 22nm DOWN TO 14nm.

In other words, Intel failed to meet their promises made to Apple.

Furthermore, right now Intel has no firm game plan to go down to 10nm by next year.    

Apple and Samsung do have a firm 10nm plan and a laptop grade 10nm chipset design that is called an A-10x.

Rumors are flying that Apple will run most of their lower end laptops using their own A-10x chipset next year.  

Rumor also has it that Apple will attack the Window laptop market at about the midpoint level with these same units,   ..... and by selling them "inexpensively" Apple intends to carve out a serious chunk of "disgruntled user" PC space.

Apple understands that Win 10 can't be any better than the Intel chipsets it is put on.

Apple knows what Intel has to offer at 14nm (they just took shipment of it) and Apple sees an opportunity coming up this fall and next spring where they can do some real market share transfer from PC space to Apple space with a fast quick light "right priced" Apple laptop.

Run faster, Intel.   Program better and faster, Microsoft.   Apple is coming ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 34
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:32:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › The Chrome Wars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.