Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: The Chrome Wars
Reply #165 - 01/16/15 at 19:26:21

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/meegopad-t01-pc-stick-ships-unlicensed-windows-...

MeegoPad T01 PC Stick ships with a hot copy of unlicensed Windows 8.1

Oh the agony of it all, MeegoPad spent all their Intel and MS tech support dollars and got their production lined up and started running it last week -- and came to find out MS has now chopped the freebee Windows 8.1 offer right out from under them (drum roll please) because their screen size doesn't meet the current 2015 offer's screen size requirements.

Duh, dude, it is a stick and the screen is definitely smaller than 9" (about 9" smaller as a matter of fact).    Grin

Also, it is 2015 now and if you gotta buy it now the low low cost Bing 8.1 OS costs $27 a copy now instead of the $7-$14 it did jest a month or so ago.

Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked

Read it and weep all you folks who trusted MS to keep to their give away programs -- MS JEST CAN"T AFFORD IT ANY MORE.
(and screwing you over is what MS does best, anyways)

"While Microsoft offers Windows 8.1 licenses free of charge to manufacturers of Windows tablets with 9 inch or smaller screens, the MeegoPad T01 and other tiny desktop computers don’t count… because they’re not tablets.

Microsoft does offer a low-cost version of its operating system called Windows 8.1 with Bing, but it’s cheap… not free. From what I’ve heard that means makers of small desktop computers had to pay $15 for a license in 2014, and about $27 for a license in 2015.

In order to keep hardware prices low, it looks like some Chinese device makers are shipping products like the MeegoPad T01 with a trial version of Windows… which is free.

Windows piracy has been prevalent in China for years, so I suspect the idea is to just let customers find their own product keys — since paying for a full Windows license would more than double the cost of a $100 computer."

Roll Eyes

So, the Chinese go back to pirating Windows and we all go back to Linux for all our cheap stuff again  .....

Hey, MS, yer buddy Intel and their little stick computer, are you going to "stick it" to yer good buddy Intel too?    Cool

"Later this year Intel plans to launch its own model called the Intel Compute Stick. It’ll sell for $149 with Windows or $89 with Linux (although the cheaper model will also have less memory and storage)."    duh, Windows requires over twice as much storage space and twice as much systems memory and lots more extra hardware bits and pieces on the little motherboard .....   and if you ain't gonna pay for all that extra stuff like you said you would, well, it jest ain't a gonna happen any more.

Easy Cheap Prediction -- the amount of 2015 stuff running Windows in the orient starts to go down soon (as the big buck tech support bribes die out so do the new Oriental Windows products).

Next Easy Cheap Prediction -- Chinese gov slaps MS around a little bit again (real quick like) to remind them to keep to all the deals they cut last year.    If MS can't do it, then they can leave the island by golly, because China ain't really their buddy anyhow.

« Last Edit: 01/17/15 at 13:21:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #166 - 01/20/15 at 10:11:39

First prediction comes true almost instantly -- some of the "over at the edge of supported" styles of Windows 8.1 new devices have just jumped in price to the tune of $50-$70 overnight -- this is in response to MS charging a lot more for Win 8.1 with Bing starting Jan 1 of this year.

The differential between the new Win device prices and the same-same Android is now running about $80 on average.

On devices that cost less than $200 this is a deal breaker, so expect most of the affected Win devices in this price range to drop off the market place pretty quickly.

Microsoft is picking and choosing which products to price support, and as item A is favored and B & C are not, expect MS to lose those B & C suppliers out of pure irritation.

Also expect B & C to complain to the Chinese Ministry of Export about MS's unfair treatment, etc. as the fiscal bite might significantly hurt some of these little guys who were counting on the deal to continue.

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 01/21/15 at 06:13:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #167 - 01/21/15 at 06:08:06

OK, so Microsoft is starting to end their give away program as they think they got what they wanted out of it.

China likely is going to be unhappy with them, but so what -- Windows 10 is coming and the Chinese people are all hooked now -- gotta have their MS update fix and big anti-virus purge every week or else they'll think something's busted.

Meanwhile, Android quietly creeps up to a 90+ percent worldwide "all devices" market share and Google actually begins to talk internally about bringing their two OS systems into one unified package to get ready for Win 10 this fall.

Remember, in the new developing emerging markets nobody uses Windows for much at all apart from business uses.   They do use Android at home and at work ......

So, MS is still trying to give away a Nokia semi-dumb phone for $29 to try to get their name brand presence out there, but it is literally a drop in the ocean to what Android is very quickly becoming in the rest of the world.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #168 - 01/22/15 at 06:26:08

So, OK, Microsoft was jest ending some of their give-a-way programs on Win 8.1 so as not to distract from the big Win 10 roll out.    

Right.      Wink

The PR blitz that was just put out yesterday was impressive -- but we saw that same sort of impressive blitz with Win 8.0 and with Win 8.1 but the reality that came afterwards was a real let down in both cases.

We will wait to brag on MS's latest Win 10 efforts -- but it certainly looks good on the PR front at least.

Roll Eyes

MS, thank you for raising the bar for ARM, LENARO, GOOGLE and LINUX -- it is very good that you have PR challenged them with your plans and vapor images of "better stuff".

It will cause them to actually go do some better stuff, whether you, MS, can eventually manage to pull it off or not.

We already see Qualcomm AND Samsung both shipping their 14nm octa core 64 bit chipsets a year earlier than originally planned, so GO MS GO !!!!

« Last Edit: 01/23/15 at 10:25:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #169 - 01/25/15 at 06:14:40

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/hp-pavilion-mini-desktop-is-now-available.html

The real new HP "fanless" Tupperware Computers are now shipping, with whirring fans still very much inside them no less.

(tupperware must be a good insulating substance instead of a heat conductor -- shoulda coulda have made them aluminum ice tray computers instead).

HP meets the MS design goal of "not looking like a Chromebox" by looking like leftover storing refrigerator refugees instead.   The MS claim about them being cableless seems to have been defeated by all them cable connections that are in evidence on the real shipping product.    

Mebbe "it can be cabless" just if you buy the right keyboard and mouse and monitor to go along with it .....  

..... you know, a matched table setting of tupperware.      Cheesy

Smiley     MS sure hasn't got much of a track record on "accurate reporting" on key new HP products of late, seems like MS just uses their wishful imagination for their "hot new product"  press releases a lot lately.

« Last Edit: 01/25/15 at 07:48:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #170 - 01/31/15 at 22:38:23

http://iq.intel.com/5th-generation-intel-core-processors-make-waves-ces-2015/

I am going to put this in the Chrome Wars because there is no way in hell these new 5th Generation chipsets from Intel are going to go into any phones.   Way too big, non-integrated and WAY WAY too porky all over again.

However, they will be able to make up a Chromebook or a Chromebook killer .....  if Intel price supports them right, that is.

THIS IS NOT THE WHOLE PACKAGE, it is just the CPU chip.   Yes, NON-integrated again, will require contra-revenue dollars and tech support dollars to get used anywhere.

Here is the whole CPU/GPU package as installed on the daughterboard (note they do not give you fingers in the picture so you cannot readily see how FRIK'N HUGE the whole thing is).  

1.5" by 2" would be my guesstimate based on the finger picture above.

Now, is this really the whole package (in comparison to say a Samsung or Qualcomm chipset) ???    Sorry, no, there is no baseband or radio or GPS or other normal full integration components on this 5th Generation Intel product.   All of these items have to be cost added to the motherboard.

Next point, there is only a 4% speed bump involved in this expensive new 14nm chipset .....   this means the current 20nm ARM chipsets from everybody will be equal to or better on throughput compared to this latest generation Intel 14nm two chip daughterboard with lots of other stuff still required to be put on the actual motherboard.

No wonder Rockchip didn't find anything useful enough to take when Intel gave them their whole toolbox to go poking through ....

Roll Eyes   .... and this is the wonderful new Intel stuff we have been waiting and waiting for ????

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #171 - 02/11/15 at 06:59:16

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/01/21/antutu-benchmark-rockchip-rk3288-arm-v...

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/247502?baseline=786009

Chromebooks vs Chromekillers

Folks have begun to pre-compare the new $150 Chromebooks built on the Rockchip RK3288 to what Intel is preparing to ship as the Classmate PC.   Education is after all THE primary competition zone between ARM and Intel right now.

The RK3288 ARM based Chromebook will sell for around $150 which puts it well below the Intel offering in price EVEN AFTER THE INTEL AND MS PRICE SUPPORTS ARE ALL APPLIED.  

According to the benchmarks, the RK3288 out performs the Intel N2910 ......

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/247502?baseline=786009

..... and outperforms the very popular price supported Z3735F.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/01/21/antutu-benchmark-rockchip-rk3288-arm-v...

Question then becomes "How come you can't buy the better chipset since it goes into a cheaper Chromebook that performs better?"

The answer is simple and them Cabaret singers told you the whole story long ago ......

Money Money Money   ......    Intel Money !!

Intel spent a lot of money to make sure that you never saw an RK3288 chipset in a Chromebook -- and they will spend even more $$$ to make sure you don't see the new ones from Lenovo or Asus either.

What is scary to Intel is that the old 28nm RK3288 beats Intel's 22nm best 3rd generation and all the applicable 4th generation 22nm Intel chipsets.    Beats them pretty badly.

What should be even more scary is that the RK3188 was a stopgap chipset from a year ago that isn't as strong as A-57 (much less the A72) and it is still benchmarking better than two current Intel offerings that are built with a one generation better Intel 22nm lithography.

Rockchip, throw the RK3288 on 20nm or 16nm (why, because it is depreciated and has gotten way cheap and you already own the license and you already paid to have Google do all the Chromebook work) and move it forward into Education Chromebooks for $150 and get on with the program.    

Start killing all them Chromebook Killers ......

Rockchip, you are due a success off of the chipset you were given by ARM so you could go kick a little Intel butt .... but then again,  it was far easier for you to take that same amount (or more) in Intel's "tech support" money NOT to go do that Intel butt kicking, now wasn't it?  

In addition to the tech support money, Intel gave you their whole 22nm toolbox full of rusty pipe wrenches and Whitworth socket sets "in consideration", promised you endless support and tapped your people's brains for how to make an integrated phone chipset and you jest jumped at the Intel bribes and the tech sharing deal, didn't you?    

Getting kinda chilly out there in the cold now?   Having some regrets, any?

Intel has nothing near the price point that works nearly as well as the two year old 28nm RK3288 that ARM gave you to build.    

But hey, this is the Orient, where bribes and "considerations" are just line items on internal fiscal statements and considered completely ordinary, normal and expected.

Wink  ..... however, if you take something given to you for free so you can go do a job with it, and then you take some bribes not to go do that job and you still keep the item you were given to do the that original job, well then don't expect the one who gave the item to you for free to trust you with anything else, ever again.

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 02/14/15 at 07:41:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #172 - 02/11/15 at 09:59:04

Short blurp on yahoo from BGR, there are links to other stories about Win10 and also a link for a free trial?....
I ain't brave enough to clik on that though....

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/microsoft-might-pay-every-windows-future-2335175...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #173 - 02/11/15 at 19:40:59

I signed up to be a Win 10 developer trial person completely through all the sign up BS until I got to the point of actually downloading the software.

( I couldn't say it was a pain in the ass without actually DOING it.)

Then I got honest with myself -- I am personally never going to go back to using Windows, not even if it was for free.    

I can't stand the slow, the endless interruptions, upkeep and busywork.

The upcoming after the first year yearly fee thing isn't new, it has been known for almost a year now ..... but MS is finally saying it bluntly and it is now "making the news".

I also got into an honest discussion with my wife, explained the roll over to the yearly fee thing and she said she would put up with what she had up through retirement as long as it kept working.    

Plus she was told by her building's resident computer support person NOT to go do Win 10 because Win 10 is NOT going to be supported by the University any time soon, only Win 7 is supported up through the next few years anyway.   Most of their internal systems software will NOT work on Win 10 AT ALL as of yet.

I am planning to pull back a Win 7 machine that is at Grandma's house and throw an old XP laptop to the grandkids/wolves at Granny's.   It will be interesting to see just how long the XP machine lasts before they hack it to useless junk.

Once it is broken, then it will become a Mint laptop next (if I am going to maintain it, anyway).

Once it becomes Minty Green I bet it won't have any issues with the kiddies hacking it up .....  first of all they won't download crap games from everywhere and click on Yahoo toolbar this and that any more while they are downloading the crapware.

« Last Edit: 02/11/15 at 20:54:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #174 - 02/11/15 at 20:41:18

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2860680/make-way-for-chromebooks-four-reasons-...

Make way for Chromebooks! Four reasons they're ready to rock in 2015

Who says?     PCWorld says.      PCWorld who now has a section about the World Beyond Windows since there obviously IS a world beyond windows now which is growing very rapidly.

This article is truthful and well written -- but PLEASE read the comments, they are a hoot and a half.   You can easily tell the people who have never ever touched a Chromebook from those who have.  

It is a Windows publication after all, and it really really upsets the Windows faithful to have their key publication saying MS sucks .....    

Roll Eyes  

« Last Edit: 02/12/15 at 05:44:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #175 - 02/12/15 at 08:35:32

Something else MS is learning from the early Chrome Killer sales -- every Chrome Killer sold is replacing one of the more expensive higher featured Windows machines that now will not be sold at all.

Tongue       Yep, it sucks but you knew that going in, right?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #176 - 02/12/15 at 11:02:28

Actually, i'm kinda stuck, between the Linux and windows.... I have android devices (phone, tablet) but still use windows 8.1 laptop more than any of the other devices.
My wife is always complaining of lockups and popups (even though her explorer has popups blocked) and I have to do a regedit to get rid of a lot of the stuff she clicks on.
She says she watches what she does...but between her yahoo and facebook stuff her laptop is loaded with bugs, most of which I will never find.
I downloaded an update for my video card, from the company that makes the card... and now my card fan goes on high about every 45 seconds and locks my screens up until it the fan speed returns to normal.
So i'm thinking maybe going chrome.... ALL THE WAY ... on the little laptop... to see what programs I use that aren't covered.
Linux still is a hard row for me to hoe.... I don't understand the "unpacking" and such needed to load up programs. I tried to set up my security camera's on Linux and failed horrendously even though there is a "walk through"..... the walk through is for a similar camera setup....so I loose it about 1/4 of the way in.
Maybe i'll just dump the little laptop and load the copy of windows8 I have for this bigger laptop and then go upload win 10 and see how much damage it does....LOL... too much fun huh?
I still have mint 15 loaded on a little old (10yr) pc I have in the garage, maybe i'll keep experimenting with the security setup with that one.
You think maybe in the future google will come out with an android laptop? Shocked

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #177 - 02/12/15 at 12:45:51

The issue is what are they going to call it, Android or Chrome OS?  

When it finally arrives they're going to have to pick a single name for it, most likely something new.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #178 - 02/13/15 at 00:39:34

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Includes-Personal-Horizon/dp/B00NSHLUBU/ref=z...

Amazon real customers tell exactly how to "optimize" a HP/MS/Intel Stream Book 13 Chrome Killer for good performance

"I just bought my nephew who is going to college an HP Stream 13 for $230. Beautiful and powerful computer, but it took me 90 minutes to remove all the stickers and all the crapware & adware. I still need to offload the recovery partition to a flash disk to recover the SSD storage. It has a total of 32 GB SSD storage so every bit counts. I'm also waiting for a 64 GB MicroSD card http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU7AO so I can expand the storage.

Removing the crapware and adware took 2 hours plus another hour to install Windows update. I removed all the browser extensions and add-ons in IE and then installed Chrome. Then I installed CCleaner and removed McAfee anti-virus so that I can just use the free Microsoft AV. Also removed a bunch of bloatware like Cisco wireless networking utilities like LEAP and Apple Bonjour. Removed the Realtek card reader software since it slows the card reader down. Then downloaded fresh Realtek card reader driver and manually installed the driver without using their setup program.

UPDATE - I had to remove all the HP tools (support and registration) as well. They were intermittently hammering the CPU to 100% and other people in HP forums were complaining about this problem. Once uninstalled, the CPU usage problems went away. Something else that caused some mildly high CPU usage during media playback was the Realtek DTS audio processing service and I've disabled that and the system performs better. It was not needed for playback quality and it was actually detrimental to audio recording quality.

The thing that slowed me down was that I had to gather my nephew's personal info to create a Microsoft account for him. It was mandatory since this is the free version of MS Windows 8.1 (with Bing). But the MS Account allows him to use MS Office online for free so it's worth setting up. I also had to carefully remove 3 stickers on the keyboard rest. Intel sticker was tilted. Now it's a beautiful clean system and it boots very fast and loads everything fast. It handles most computing tasks just fine and now I'm loathed to give this away.

Some people will complain about the 2GB of RAM which is not expandable, but I never have any problems with 2GB RAM because I don't leave a 20 browser tabs open. You're not going to use this laptop for 3D intensive gaming or 3D rendering so the RAM shouldn't be an issue. I have a desktop computer with 8 GB of RAM for running games and virtual machines and content production and no one should expect the HP Stream 13 to perform this role. It runs fewer than 10 web browser tabs just fine and it's extremely snappy running Microsoft Office Online or Google apps.

I ran a Youtube 1080P on Chrome browser. Google is screwing all of us now by forcing their VP9 codec on us which forces this computer to use software video decoding. This dual-core CPU is pegged at 100% utilization and forced to overclock to 2.58 GHz and it will still hiccup if a youtube ad shows up. Of course this is just chewing up the battery. By comparison, I tested a 1080P H.264 .MP4 video downloaded from Google and the CPU hovered around 8% during smooth playback. Google needs to shove their VP8 & VP9 codec where the sun don't shine. But thank goodness for "Magic Actions for YouTube" (a Chrome plugin) letting me disable Google's VP9 HTML5 crap. Now Chrome runs Youtube in flash mode with H.264 hardware decoding and the CPU hovers around 20%. Here's a screenshot of the CPU pegged at 100% with VP9 software decode http://bit.ly/1u0O3bV. Here's the CPU hovering at 20% using Flash mode with H.264 hardware decode http://bit.ly/1uahXfx.

I've been hammering on this system with tests for over two hours. The Intel N2840 2.16 GHz processor is being forced to burst to 2.58 GHz from all the work I'm throwing at it. Windows Update is hammering the IO and CPU. The brightness level is even set to 60% and the battery level still reads 79% with 4 hours 24 minutes remaining.

After all the tweaks and cleanup I've done, the slim HP Stream 13 3.42 lb laptop is running smooth as butter. The 13.3" 1366x768 non-glare matte screen is the perfect compromise between viewabiliy and compactness. Would be even nicer if HP could sell us a 1920x1080 13.3" screen but probably not at the $230 price point. Another small gripe is that the bezel is a little bigger than I'd like.

The Stream 13 has a 720P webcam, but I wouldn't even call it 360P quality. It's incredibly grainy using indoor lighting, but what were you expecting for a $230 laptop? It's certainly not going to look like the camera on the MacBook Pro. Get yourself a $66 Logitech C920 which has awesome image quality and 1080P hardware encoding if you want a nice webcam. Even a $29 720P webcam will look leaps and bounds better.

On the audio output side, the HP Stream 13 has good sound output from the TRRS jack. It can drive my large 808 headphones with authority. By comparison, my Lenovo ThinkPad T430 business laptop couldn't push my 808s at all! The audio recording on the other hand stinks in the default setting. The integrated microphone sucks like most integrated microphones on laptops. It is very laggy because of all the noise cancellation algorithms they apply to it. The recorded sound (using Audacity) is noise free but it is extremely unnatural due to excessive noise reduction. I don't like the recorded sound at all.

UPDATE - After disabling the DTS Realtek audio processing, the playback quality was still just as good. Recording with the internal microphone actually improved a lot. The internal microphone in the HP Stream 13 actually isn't too shabby. It is surprisingly usable quality for VoIP or Video Calling.

The Stream 13 also has a 3.5mm TRRS phone connector port for headphones and earbuds with microphones. That means you can use the same earbuds with mic that you use with your smartphone. The problem is that while it sounds a lot more natural than the integrated microphone, it's a faint yet noisy signal. The input volume was set to 100% with a 10 dB (fake software preamp) boost and it's still only reaching 20% peak sound levels in Audacity. My Nexus 4 and Samsung S4 on the other hand produce extremely good quality recordings with the same earbuds or headphones with microphones. To put this in context, my Lenovo ThinkPad T430 from work has the same audio recording quality problems with the integrated mic and TRRS port.

If you want to work around these sound recording issues, buy yourself a $34 Samson GoMic. It's the best money you'll ever spend on a USB microphone. The other option is that you can get a bluetooth headphone with microphone since the HP Stream 13 has bluetooth capability.

The trackpad on the HP Stream 13 is large and usable. It supports gestures like two-finger scrolling. But if you really want a good experience, buy a bluetooth mouse and use the integrated bluetooth in the Stream 13.

Lastly, here are the disk performance results for the internal 32 GB SSD storage. It's one of the slowest SSDs on the market, but it's still around 15 times faster than a normal hard drive when it comes to small file transfers.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hos9mfpuqrg8ne/diskmark.png

Conclusion:
This is a superb mobility laptop for the money, but only if you remove all the crapware and apply all the optimizations I performed above.

Summary of crapware removed and optimizations performed.

* Apple Bonjour.
* Cisco LEAP and EAPFAST
* McAfee AV
* Realtek cardreader software (note that you need to download just the new drivers and then just install drivers manually without software. Don't remove if you don't know how to install new drivers because you'll lose the card reader)
* HP Tools registration
* HP Tools support
* Disable Realtek DTS audio effects. Just type DTS at start screen and the program will pop up.
* Install Chrome
* If you use Chrome, install "Magic Actions for YouTube" plugin for Chrome to disable ads, pick the default resolution, and force Flash mode instead of HTML5 mode. Flash mode uses H.264 MPEG AVC video which supports hardware acceleration for very low CPU usage."

===========================================

Question:   If you are so limited by the Streambook's hardware and have to work so hard to decrapify it so it can run at all, why the heck did you buy it in the first place?

Roll Eyes      These people are giving this product 4 and 5 stars ?????    Just how bad are the rest of their MS installations to make this seem !!! GREAT !!! to them ???

===========================================

What do you have to do to a HP/Google/Intel  Chromebook to get it going?

Answer --- charge it and type in your gmail name and password when you turn it on for the first time.   Agree to your on-line storage account, then follow the prompts to register your android phone as your proximity password and you don't even need to do that log in at boot thing any more.

And no, a Chromebook will only do 95% of what a Windows machine will do, but it is so so much easier to use and you quickly discover that whatever you want or need -- there's an app for that ......  

Never gives you update hassles or defrag hassles or antivirus scan hassles .....

You will need to buy a cloud printer -- or else set your existing PC/cable printer up with Chrome browser printing as per instructions.

Believe it or not, printing is the largest newbie's complaint item that exists for Chromebooks.   Dealing with Wifi printing (or cloud printing) seems strange to newbies who are used to all them little white USB cables.    BTW boys, cloud printing comes STOCK on all the new printers now days ..... sets itself up when you set the new printer up.

Roll Eyes     really now ....   you'd spend more time than that just getting the all the palm rest stickers off your new Chrome Killer machine.

« Last Edit: 02/13/15 at 07:32:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #179 - 02/14/15 at 06:40:48

http://www.unlockpwd.com/asus-chromebook-and-lenovo-11-inch-rockchip-rk3288-a...

More information on the $149 Chromebooks from Asus and Lenovo ringing in from New Zealand

(the closer to the Orient you get, the better the information)

The items will be announced at the early summer oriental mobile/computer shows as an LTE supported $149 product that is intended to be sold by carriers and others.    It will go to Amazon in the USA as a wifi only product and be picked up by the US carriers as an LTE device as they each individually choose to go into that market sector.    

Special radios would be needed for AT&T and Sprint, but not so much for T-Mobile since they are edging ever closer to the oriental normal standards to the point that a general LTE baseband and radio rig from the orient today, right now will work even today on T-Mobile, just at a reduced speed.    

Soon, as the BYOP idea increases in size the oriental "universal standard cell radio" may indeed correctly cover T-Mobile AT FULL 4G SPEED as a stock oriental product.    It will pay T-Mobile and the radio chip guys to make sure that happens ASAP.

Why is this important?   Well, after the original three (3) NVIDIA Tegra K1 chromebook units that were put out by Acer, Asus and HP this will be the 4th and 5th units where vendors have swung away from using price supported Intel chipsets.

It signals Intel's inability to price support its big clunkys well enough to keep them in control of the ever growing Chromebook market.   It will also signal the 4th and 5th time that Intel chipsets have lost out performance-wise to ARM based chipsets.

Cheesy

How bad is this going to be?   Dunno -- the chipset may be up to it but the build quality corner cutting that will go on at the $150 price point is an item of mild concern about these new Chromebooks.    But once the $150 price point gets established things will likely change up again in this very rapidly growing market segment.

We shall see, won't we .....              Roll Eyes

Needless to say, whatever a year plus old RK3288 can do a current generation A57 or one of the upcoming A72 chipsets should be able to easily OUTDO in a factor of 2x - 3x sorta fashion.

As a matter of theoretical speculation, if Intel wasn't painting all their low end chipsets with lots of "contra revenue" red paint right now, just how many of them would actually move on their own merits?

Next thought, when Intel has to use that can of red paint on over half of what they make, can they afford to keep on doing it?

Huh

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 34
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:28:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › The Chrome Wars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.