IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Question......
Reply #16 - 07/19/14 at 09:52:44

Jerry, you touched on something re: family I believe.

By your own firsthand testimony, which is admissible in our courts ( I think still  Tongue )

You speak to how you were introduced to "guns" and don't view them as an instrument to achieve the "ends of your needs".
Lets call this the "setting of a foundation" into your life.

We all must know that building any structure that will stand the test of what life beings against it......needs to be anchored to a good foundation upon solid ground, or is subject to many shifting trends placed upon it.

Seems as a society we have come lax on that first requirement.
I can think of all sorts of reasons why, but one I seem to give the most credibility too is that mother's role, in being present, in those early years, as our "being" is still curing on the forms...... has been greatly minimized, for many reasons.

The result is a poorly cast, uncured, or misformed foundation, and it is expected to hold the weight of life, upon its primitive strength.....

We see the results.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 07/19/14 at 10:02:53

Raydawg -
Unlike most of the 1950s families, my Mom worked a full time job.  But, my grandmother lived with us, and it was she who took care of me during the summers and after school, ( I am an only child), she had most dinners made so my Mom didn't have to rush home and try to prepare a meal, G'ma cleaned the house, and did most of what would otherwise be "housewife chores", making my Mom's life much easier than most working mothers have it today.
Yes, working wives have taken a toll on the kids.  I had a lawyer who worked for me, made a very nice income, and he and his wife had 2 kids.  The wife insisted on working to "fulfill her", or some kind of crappy reason.  She didn't make much money, and after $1,000/month for day care, transportation costs, lunches during the work week, etc. I bet she netted very little real income.
They could easily have lived on his salary alone, if they lived even close to how my family did in the 1950s.
But she would not hear of it - it isn't the "thing to do" for a young, college educated woman today.  Too mundane, she thought.
I fear their children will suffer for it.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/19/14 at 10:22:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/19/14 at 08:45:51:
Mass shooters on antipsychotics

Google and Speculation is removed

Only one of the Columbine shooters had taken anti depressant prescription drugs  and that was only after a court order due to a crime committed while stealing stuff to sell to raise funds to buy supplies to blow up the school, meaning the drugs had nothing to do with it. They worked on the plan for over a year. They were psychotic. There were 1000 kids in that school and most of the boys played the same games as the killers did but they didn't kill anyone.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #19 - 07/19/14 at 10:23:49

Jerry, Grandparents played an important role too.....

Who else could spoil you in a manner that wouldn't taint you?  Kiss

The very wisdom they possessed from merely having lived life was invaluable. Too bad most of that knowledge now is locked away in retirement (nursing) homes......
For the very same reasons why the lady you shared does  Lips Sealed

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/19/14 at 10:55:36

WebsterMark wrote on 07/19/14 at 10:22:07:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/19/14 at 08:45:51:
Mass shooters on antipsychotics

Google and Speculation is removed

Only one of the Columbine shooters had taken anti depressant prescription drugs  and that was only after a court order due to a crime committed while stealing stuff to sell to raise funds to buy supplies to blow up the school, meaning the drugs had nothing to do with it. They worked on the plan for over a year. They were psychotic. There were 1000 kids in that school and most of the boys played the same games as the killers did but they didn't kill anyone.

Okay,what about the other shootings? That's ONE.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #21 - 07/19/14 at 11:22:33

My wife and I decided that she would not work so someone would be home for the boys. This does a couple of positive things for children. It allows for instant access in case of a problem, and more importantly, the child realizes that he or she is the most important thing to the parents which is good for their self esteem. In retrospect it was the best decision we ever made.
Children need care and guidance from adults who have a vested interest in their well-being, not professional caregivers or teachers, who are only responsible for them for part of the day, and unless there is abuse suspected, can not be involved with the kids up-bringing other than during the time the kids are in their care.
Lets talk about corporal punishment, both at home and at school.
My first day in kindergarten the teacher told me to stop what I was doing and come and sit in the circle. I innocently  told her that she wasn't my mother and couldn't tell me what to do. The result was that I had to kneel over a chair with my pants down and receive a few good whacks on my underwear with a yardstick. I got the strap a couple of times for fighting. My parents had always taught me to avoid fights, and I tried to, but after some kid picked on me day after day I would loose it and fight back- hard. ( My parents didn't know for a long time, but both my grandfather and an uncle had been pro boxers when they were young, and had taught me how to fight.)
There is no corporal punishment in the schools anymore, and you are not even supposed to yell at them. Several years ago I was supply teaching in a school, and a grade 8 kid threw a candy wrapper on the floor as he was walking out at the end of the day. I loudly asked him to come back and pick it up, and I even said please. He flipped me the bird and kept going. The principal had heard me and came up to me and said "we don't yell at students in this school" to which I replied "That's probably why the think they can throw garbage on the floor and flip teachers the bird and get away with it."
We spanked our kids when they needed it, and the most frightening words my mother could say to me were "Wait 'till you father gets home", which usually meant a few licks with his belt.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #22 - 07/19/14 at 11:53:39

Arteacher -

My wife stayed home with our daughter until the daughter was nearly 14.  Then my wife started a business out of our home, so she was still there when needed.  There is nothing that beats a mom at home with her family.
I also agree with your comments about the deterioration of discipline and respect in our schools.
I'm not sure, as I get older ( now 67 ) that I agree with corporal punishment, though.  I would reserve it for the worst instances, like a school kid hitting a teacher, or a kid hitting a parent.  But I never spanked my daughter except for once when I lost my temper, and I immediately regretted it.
And for young children, defenseless as they are, and who may not yet have developed emotionally enough to have done something out of true spite or hatred, I don't being that being hit by an adult teaches them what I would want them to learn from it.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #23 - 07/19/14 at 12:23:21

the child realizes that he or she is the most important thing to the parents which is good for their self esteem.

Which diverts so many of the ills that gain root through that access as we grow older, and more able, to try and repair that void.

As a society we just cast acceptance upon it, in the name of diversity and go merrily along into our ignorant, selfish, existence......  

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #24 - 07/19/14 at 12:40:23

Arteacher:
That story about the 8th grader is what is wrong with society.  Plain and simple - no respect.  It's not taught anymore.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #25 - 07/19/14 at 23:45:51

You are not truly a product of your raising... your mind is an elastic thing...it bends one way or the other as your surroundings change and you meet new people and learn new things.
I was raised in an orphanage..... they literally BEAT the bible into us... we had bible readings 3X a week, went to church wed...sat and sun.
Up until I was about 14, I could still remember chapters and verses by heart and quote you every book and how many chapters each had in it.
When I was fostered out, the family I went into was an outer rural family, half farmers (raised all sorts of animals) and half city...(dad and mom both worked in town 1/2 hour away.
Your intelligence tells you what is right or wrong and you personally go by that...unless your mind accepts what is happening as right (beating up weak kids), even though you were raised it is wrong, it feels good...
so you do it anyway.
Trust me... I am the most mellow guy ...and will let most folks push me much farther than the average guy would go...
Up to a point.... then you are either baldly hurt, or dead.
Oh did I mention after the bullies in the orphanage beat me up.... I waited till they were asleep and beat the crap out of them with the little wood chairs next to the beds? Hospitalized 3 of them... had to spend a month in solitude, in a little room they kept the kids with chicken pox.
You are as an adult, a thinking machine...you know what is right....don't let society tell you different.
Treat others as you want to be treated....even if you don't agree with what they say, and let them know, you will treat them with respect, if they do for you likewise.
And when they call you stupid, dumbazz, ignorant or what ever because you don't think like they do...tell them good bye...have a good life.
I don't do drama....if someone tries to bring drama into my life...I swat it like a fly.... yup....talk to the hand...smack the hand, I break your arm...then call the cops because you attacked me....then sue you for the trouble you caused me....
Is that how I was raised ?.....nope...its what I learned throughout my 55 years of life.
I'm still learning.... Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 07/21/14 at 06:08:35

raydawg wrote on 07/18/14 at 18:55:55:
Then how come tobacco products have been silenced from TV if what folk see/hear on media outlets don't have sway?

http://www.avclub.com/article/mad-men-is-probably-driving-sales-of-lucky-stri...

Lucky Strike almost went bankrupt. Put it on a TV show and sales are up 50%.

--Steve

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #27 - 07/21/14 at 06:29:45

Good article there, Paraquat.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #28 - 07/21/14 at 06:38:13

I recall back in a college marketing course in the 1960s that we were studying about the power of advertising for already well recognized products.
As I remember it, Coca Cola did an experiment and dropped all advertising in the state of Kansas for one month, back in the late 1950s.  Sales of Coke products fell off of the cliff, something in excess of a 50% drop by the end of that month.  Obviously, after the month, Coke ramped advertising back to the level in place before the experiment, and sales were back to normal in about 2 more months.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 08/05/14 at 19:31:31

re video games-
In colorado a 5yr old shot a 3 year old with the gun the older brother gave him. The older brother who was nine got hold of his mother's boyfriend's gun. He said he knew how to use it from playing -call of duty/ black ops.

What a world- they think it is make-believe.

Locally the state police shot a man after a 3 hour stand off in a parking lot. His wife called the police. The man just said for everyone to stay away from him. His wife said that if she had known the police would shoot him, she never would have called. - more play time by the swat team. They seem to shoot a lot of folk when they show up.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:31:38

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Question......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.