Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cheap GPS unit for your handlebars .... (Read 472 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cheap good GPS unit for your handlebars .... N
Reply #30 - 07/19/14 at 11:05:02

Same screen filter might play against you at night, so a removable filter might be nice.

The too pale in the sunlight idea really isn't proved out either way since no one has really done it yet, and we are responding to issues folks have actually had with smaller Garmin GPS units (which are kinda pale in the display anyway) which we don't know if are going to cross over into the Hisense 7" pro tablet units as no one has actually done it yet.

Now you could put one of these units on your bike and have a comparison base since you do use GPS a lot and you do have an experience base from your previous efforts.

Or Verslagen could take one of his two units out into the sunlight and tell is if it is affected much by the bright sunshine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 07/19/14 at 11:36:02

jman wrote on 07/18/14 at 06:52:29:
I have a well-developed mind that is very good at remembering where I am and where I have to go to get to where I want to be.  I rarely get lost, especially if I have any sort of directional marker, like the sun or moon being visible.

What's wrong with a tank bag with a map in a transparency compartment?

People these days are too reliant on electronic gizmos (I say as I'm typing on a computer...).  Map navigation has almost entirely become a thing of the past, and it's kinda sad.

Why do we use these things, use pre-programed in route layouts, etc?

Blacklining up in the mountains (chasing obscure very curvy ridge running roads, hunting them out and running them) has become our mountain riding obsession.

Easily visible readable GPS on the handle bars has become a real aid in this effort, and having the ability to punch "home" and get guided back to the campground with no waste effort is a REAL ASSET at the end of the day.

Not that I use it, I just run like a bat out of hell down whatever road we are on and just stop and wait for everybody else at the next intersection.  
Me, I am not the pathfinder, just the road runner.

But I do realize each riding group needs to have at least one good working GPS unit.   Maps, yes I can read them, yes I can but the map only comes out once we admit we are lost and are already all screwed up -- and of late what comes out of my pocket isn't the map but my Galaxy S3 cell phone with Google Maps on it.

Actually, MM tends to play guide leader, so if he needs a better tool, well, we'll see if we can find him one.   Or invent him one.

He currently has two Garmins, one on the bike and one in his bags (seems like one is always off the bike being programmed).

Garmins are like 95% effective which is like 20% better than a bare map ever was for what we are trying to do (blacklining).    

Paper maps don't even list a lot of the little donkey trails between where we are and where we want to get to, much less keep track of the various turns for you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 07/19/14 at 11:37:28

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/19/14 at 11:05:02:
Or Verslagen could take one of his two units out into the sunlight and tell is if it is affected much by the bright sunshine.

Smiley  I'll let you know.

From what I see with my back up cam display, direct sun from above makes it very hard to see... kinda like glare on a dirty windshield.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cheap GPS unit for your handlebars ....
Reply #33 - 07/19/14 at 11:40:00

when I need gps lately, it's been my iphone.
a bungee cord strapped around the flyshield and the belt clip attaches to it nicely.  
gotta remember my earphone though, can't hear it.

WWW   IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #34 - 07/19/14 at 18:31:54

Basically the exact opposite, as far as cost, but this thing, this is what i want to have when i decide to take off to parts unknown for time unknown. now... how to refine gas from plants..... Wink

http://www.meetearl.com/

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #35 - 07/19/14 at 20:41:27

on our last trip , I had the GPS on "Shortest route" (which is always fun Roll Eyes).   So : while the main road was winding (four lane style) in between the high points in the landscape , the route we took was winding through two lane blacktop with lots of skip-a-heart-beat  surprises !  Grin .  
Then we would do little short runs on the main road till the next "short-cut"  would show up.    

The GPS on the handle-bar also show how long and deep is the next curve.  
So whether or not its a phone or old fashioned type :
Electronics are Great !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 07/20/14 at 16:02:52

Results for the Hisense Pro 7" with a well used screen protector.
Mounted vertical as you would for use taking movies.
Taken at 3pm

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 07/20/14 at 16:29:13

All the pics look sorta weak, but somewhat better than a well used Garmin looks.

Huh

Versy, your opinion -- worth chasing as an idea or a no-show?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 07/20/14 at 17:00:42

You would certainly have to do some work.
might need a polarized filter and the map app for unconnected travel.
the google map app did not cut it, no voice and not definitive enough.
the iphone is much better in that regard.
I did take a movie as I moved it around and it was pretty decent and that was taken thru the medium tint sport windshield.  well medium compared to the flyshield which is near black.

I wouldn't do it just for mapping as I have a iphone.
I might do it for video, although finding the video was a chore.
It would just take a mount.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 07/20/14 at 18:44:08

Huh, I didn't think of that, using it as a curvy road video recorder.   But yeah, most tablets will take a video and will store it on a SIMM card and obviously this one does just that because you just went and did it.

Needs some development work, well, heck yes -- it certainly does.  

We'll let somebody more needful do that as I really don't need anything else on my handlebars right now.

My contribution will have to be having identified the base idea,  that it could/would work and it would be inexpensive enough to do.

Mounting, hook up, software/apps -- yes, more development is needed.

Wink     in about a year I may have a slightly used Galaxy S3 that might show up on my handlebars, as it will be a replaced item at that time.

« Last Edit: 07/21/14 at 06:12:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #40 - 07/22/14 at 06:06:01

I took a couple hundred mile trip yesterday and found I need to "re-angle" my garmin...
I had it too flat for full sunlight...could not turn it far enough into a vertical position to keep the sun from fading the screen and almost got lost...rofl.
In big cities I've never been to much, a gps is a must for me.
Dang, I remember a time when my "sun sense" could tell me what direction I was traveling....and now-a-days I get lost if I don't have a little arrow pointing the way home. Grin Grin

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 07/22/14 at 06:20:28

For a bike, a 5" thereabouts cell phone would do the trick very nicely.  
Screens are designed to be readable in the bright sunshine and they are not so large as to "overpower" your handle bar area.

They are still pretty large and they do have good viewing angles, them old cell phones.

I suspect that in a few years a Galaxy S3 would be able to be bought cheaply on Ebay -- cheaper than a Garmin certainly.

Intentionally built motorcycle holders/weather cases exits and I may pick one up while they are still available.

This one is "rainproof" and allows the phone to rotate between vertical and horizontal.   The cover is about like a film cover and it allows you to touch program the phone with the cover closed.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Weather-Holder-Samsung-GALAXY/dp/B00B7XVZAS

$24.99

A Dual layer anti-shock protective case dedicated to the Samsung Galaxy S3 / GT-i9300 supplied with the popular Easy Fit bike handlebar mount.

The holder consists of a Polycarbonate outer shell along with an anti-shock silicone liner. This case remains true to the Galaxy S3 contours.

All function areas including the camera, speaker, volume, hand strap, power button remain accessible. Protective flaps over the headphone.

Hinged fitting for handlebars with a diameter between 21mm - 30mm. Simple one screw fixing makes fitting quick and easy - NO TOOLS!
   Sold exclusively by CyberTech with one year warranty

« Last Edit: 07/22/14 at 07:24:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #42 - 07/22/14 at 06:52:46

Wish they would make an old "used" phone capable of using as a gps without having to connect it to a phone service....

I have an old thunderbolt series phone that I liked, until it started autodialing people..... and the plug in for headset stopped working.... I use it for a music player now-days (I Bluetooth link it with my truck stereo)....and to search the internet when there is a free Wi-Fi around.

The screen resolution and size was great, but the quirks made me "upgrade"....

It also has a 10mp camera with 2 lights...so it is great for videos and picture taking...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 07/22/14 at 07:15:48

I am thinking a Galaxy S3 can act as a full Wifi device apart from a data plan service.

Here is a good discussion on this question:   http://www.cnet.com/news/can-dataless-smartphones-still-use-gps-navigation-apps/

Of course, everybody "thinking you can do it" doesn't mean you really can do it -- once again the proof is in the doing.    

Especially with a Verizon phone, Verizon and AT&T sometimes do some funny things to their phones.

"Jailbreak" versions of various custom Android ROMs exist for this phone, so even if Verizon got hinky with it that wouldn't necessarily totally stop you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #44 - 07/22/14 at 15:39:45

My son's got an old LG VM670 with no service.  It works great as a wi-fi device and I have used the GPS on it before with no cell or data service.  Just have to make sure you download 'preload' the area before leaving wifi.

So, at least some old smart phones will function like a GPS.  Might have to get a big TF card to hold all the map data if taking a long trip.  I have just used it in the local area to find places I needed to go to since the GPS in my phone died about a year and a half ago.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 01:23:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cheap GPS unit for your handlebars ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.