Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cheap GPS unit for your handlebars .... (Read 472 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Re: Cheap good GPS unit for your handlebars .... N
Reply #45 - 05/25/17 at 23:35:08

BalingWire wrote on 07/16/14 at 19:34:20:
Nearly any tablet can be modified for navigational purposes Cheesy

Hahaha. Good one!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cheap GPS unit for your handlebars ....
Reply #46 - 05/26/17 at 08:11:56

Update to this thread:

Google maps now supports downloading about two-three state's worth of "on device" fully interactive maps.

You do this at a sit down eatery with wifi, a MickyD's or a Hardees will do in a pinch.  Once the map is on/inside the device, start Google maps and ask for directions to your end point.  Actually start the route up, then carry the phone out to the handle bars, plug up the power cord, ear buds etc and put your helmet on and go.   Don't turn it off or you lose everything.

YOU HAVE TO START IT ALL UP UNDER CELL TOWER DATA ..... that's the trick.

You will now get map and verbal directions even if you leave an area directly supported by cell towers -- sometimes your device will stop and stutter forward suddenly as you just hit a tower zone and got better data for a little bit and it "stuttered you forward".  

Not to worry if you seem to have quit for a little bit, moving into the next cell tower area will generally get you back going again.   This is all working better and better as Google works the "tower hand off bugs" out of their new system.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 05/26/17 at 08:50:16

This may be a bit "off topic"..not sure.

I have used my Iphone for navigation on the group rides in TN/NC/GA.  Cell phone access can be very spotty, sometimes you have it, and sometimes you don't.  I discovered that with cell phone access I can go into my "maps" and either search for a location - or just drop a point and the phone will establish a route to the end point.  Even if I lose cell phone service the route will continue as long as I still have GPS signal and life is good!

What I was surprised to discover - was that if I lose the cell phone service, I cannot change the destination.  I believe the phone needs to be able to access the cell service to make changes to the route - and it may be that if I get off the programmed route - I may not be able to have the phone "re-calculate" a new route (not sure).

So.....I have a Garmin GPS backup.  The Garmin is a bit clumsier to use than the phone, and it won't BlueTooth instructions into my helmet - but it doesn't need cell phone service to function.  You can get used GPS units pretty cheaply on eBay, as most folks are getting rid of them as they just use their phones.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #48 - 05/26/17 at 09:31:47

Dave, The phone I used for a speedo had a app that allowed you to download the maps for wherever you were going on a state by state or national (If you had enough room) basis.Do that on wi-fi before you go and you should be all set, if the ride leader doesn't take you into a different state. ( I won't mention any names here. ahem, ahem) You won't get traffic updates in real time thou.
Check your phones store for downloadable maps.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #49 - 05/26/17 at 10:05:01

FWIW, I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 I bought on fleabay for $25 in near mint condition. Fashioned a special handlebar bracket that is removable for when I need it out of the way (that's a separate how-to).  This GPS is small enough to not be obnoxious and has a good standard features that I need such as the navigation as well as a "dashboard" mode with trip info. Rarely if ever have issues in the mountains with signal loss, etc. Great little unit for the price and if it breaks, gets lost or stolen, no biggie...I'll get another one for $20 because they are older and people are always selling them to get the new fancy models.

IMG_20160721_075939_002.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 09:36:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cheap GPS unit for your handlebars ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.